300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female sues because she can't pass the test

What a load of crap!!! I tested for this dept twice and passed. I got screwed because of other reasons but this female must be nuts. First she says she's an aerobic instructor, lifts weights and then she says she's as strong as a man....then whines and whimpers because she can't pass the test. Pass the cheese please......

Scranton woman denied W-B police position files federal discrimination suit
    Officer fitness test favors males, female applicant alleges
    By TERRIE MORGAN-BESECKER
    [email protected]

WILKES-BARRE - A Scranton woman has filed a federal lawsuit challenging the physical fitness test for potential police officers in Wilkes-Barre, alleging it discriminates against females.
    Mary Helen Moran-Yatko says she was denied a spot on the force despite being in excellent physical condition because she did not pass the test's "window climb," which requires applicants to scale a 6-foot wall to climb into a window.

The suit, filed Friday in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, says the test is biased in favor of men and "disproportionately excludes" women from the force in violation of federal anti-discrimination laws.

"They literally put a wall up to keep women out of the department," said Moran-Yatko's attorney, Jordan Yeager of Bethlehem.

The suit is among a growing number of challenges to police recruitment tests being made by women nationwide, said Margaret Moore, director of the National Center For Women and Policing in Arlington, Va.

The prime concern is many departments' tests put too much emphasis on upper body strength, which is not the key predictor of what makes a good police officer, Moore said.

"We always look at strength as the defining factor when it is not," Moore said. "Research shows communication skills, the ability to problem solve and de-escalate violent situations are the key components of a good officer. Climbing through a single window has never been described as what makes a good police officer."

Police departments have defended the tests, arguing the nature of police work requires certain physical requirements be met regardless of gender.

"How could you make a lesser requirement for any class of person if you can make the argument (the test) is job-related?" said Michael Carroll, president of the Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police Association.

But Moore and Yeager said the issue is not whether physical standards should be lessened for female officers, but whether the tests employed by departments accurately reflect what officers must perform in the field.

"There's no question every applicant, man or woman, needs to have the physical strength and agility necessary to do the job. The question is, have you created a test that accurately measures what you need to do the job," Yeager said.

Moran-Yatko, 35, applied for the Wilkes-Barre force in 1994. An aerobics instructor who runs and lifts weights, she said she had just been awarded the highest physical fitness award at police academy training, beating out men and women in her class.

She was devastated when she failed the window climb, she said. And she wasn't alone. One of the four women in her test group passed, compared to 18 of the 21 men who passed, her suit says.

According to the suit, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission investigated and found the female failure rate for Wilkes-Barre's window climb was 4 1/2 times that of the male's failure rate for all females tested in 1994. The agency determined there was "reasonable cause to believe" the city violated the federal anti-discrimination law, the suit says.

Christine Jensen, Wilkes-Barre's human resources director, said the city had not yet been served with the complaint so she could not comment. Police Chief Tony George did not return a phone message seeking comment.

The test is part of the Civil Service Commission's initial screening of applicants. If an applicant does not pass, the process is ended and they are not permitted to interview.

The test, which also requires candidates to run a mile within nine minutes and complete a stretcher carry and body drag, sets the same standards for males and females. It differs from the state police fitness screening, which sets differing standards based on a potential cadet's age and sex. That test involves push-ups, sit ups, leg and bench press and a 1 1/2 mile run.

Moran-Yatko said she believes she failed the window climb test because the design of the window, which did not have a ledge, prevented her from using her lower body to help boost herself inside. She said she would be able to accomplish the task in the real world.

"I'm as strong as a man, but this particular test was not representative of what a police officer needs to do in the line of duty," Moran-Yatko said from her home. "Women typically have better lower body strength than upper body strength. I was not able to use my strength to get over the wall."

Citing the pending litigation, Phil Latinski, a member of the city's Civil Service Commission, would not say if the test has changed since 1994.

Yeager said the case took so long to bring to court because Moran-Yatko first had to go through the EEOC and the U.S. Justice Department to obtain the right to sue.

Her suit seeks compensatory damages and to have her instated to the police force. But Moran-Yatko said she is not sure she would take the job now. She is employed the Lackawanna County District Attorney's Office as a liaison between police and domestic violence and sexual assault victims and is happy with the position, she said.

She's continuing with the suit more as a matter of principle to help other women who apply for the department, she said.

"I thought, so many people are impacted by this. That's when I said enough is enough. You have to draw the line some place," she said. "This represents women in police as a whole."
    Steve

she sounds like a big effin baby to me.

Edited to add: IMO, from personal experience, I have seen these women complain about the physical agility and how they ground was "too slippery" and they "lost their footing" and it "ruined my time".... ahhh WHATEVER. If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. I hate listening to the whiners who cant do it. If you go in and you know you cant pass the physical agility, THEN DONT EVEN TRY. I know that sounds mean, but I used to be weak and Pretty effin FAT, until I realized it was time to change that. The same goes for the small skinny ones. I ate right and excercised and THATS called healthy living. If you cant live healthy then you are missin a key point to being ready for a job in LE. I know she says she was physically fit, but the fact remains.. She didnt pass. Whaaaa for her... suck it up and move on lady.

[ 09-07-2002, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: InSane1 ]
    Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

If the applicant has to perform a certain amount of push ups and also bench a certain percentage of their weight, why does climbing a 6' wall prove ones upper body strength?

Now I know it
      "are you going to bark all day little doggie or are you going to bite"

Comment

[ 04-04-2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Frank Booth ]

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Steve in PA:
          [Moran-Yatko,."[/QB]

Ohh I missed read it I thought it said MORON
          O.K. should I start my equal right,equal standard speech, or just quote Ric Flair?"To be the MAN, you first got to Beat the MAN!"

Yes upper-body strength is not the sole key to being a good police officer, but that's why there is more to the application process than just the P.T. The Physical exam is just part of the whole journey. They just don't get it! Lawyers

Comment

One more thing, I have strong lower body strength,can I do the bench press with my legs?

[Wink]

Comment

posted by M.K.
              quote:
              One more thing, I have strong lower body strength,can I do the bench press with my legs?

No, then it would be a leg press.

Personally, I bet she has a killer bod, I'll work with her.

Comment

thats why women have bad reps in LE

Comment

Insane is that because of my post, which was in humor, or is it because they lack upper body strength.

Comment

I bet they hire the one that passed the test. Where's the discrimination in that?
                    On the wings of a dove
                    Let's roll for justice
                    Let's roll for truth
                    Let's not let our children grow up
                    Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

"She said she would be able to accomplish the task in the real world."
                      Yeah right , if she couldn't do it in a safe learning/training environment there's no way she'd be able to do it for real - IMHO.

If an applicant hasn't the physical ability to pass the test I don't want an officer with "communication skills, the ability to problem solve and de-escalate violent situations" beside me when I'm getting the sh*t kicked out of me.I want a colleague-and I don't care what sex they are- who can look after themselves.
                      Right , you can have it!

Comment

Mr. Orange:"Insane is that because of my post, which was in humor, or is it because they lack upper body strength."

It was because of your post. I know it was in humor. But the very thought is what goes through a lot of LE Angencies. I was just refering to that aspect. I mean lets face it, you get a hot looking chick working for a dept. and men will generally undress her in their own minds, which leads to rumors and wish lists, which ultimately gives a good looking woman a hard time in LE because they have to fend off not only the horns but her coworkers and rumors as well. That sucks...

As for the joke... I get it... was funny... [Wink]

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by Mr.Orange:
                          I have climbed through a few windows in the past, but it is much easier to boot the door down.

Mr O my buddy, you mean to tell me your BIG *SS actually fits through a window?

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by Steve in PA:

"They literally put a wall up to keep women out of the department," said Moran-Yatko's attorney, Jordan Yeager of Bethlehem.

"There's no question every applicant, man or woman, needs to have the physical strength and agility necessary to do the job. The question is, have you created a test that accurately measures what you need to do the job," Yeager said.

She was devastated when she failed the window climb, she said. And she wasn't alone. One of the four women in her test group passed, compared to 18 of the 21 men who passed, her suit says.

Moran-Yatko said she believes she failed the window climb test because the design of the window, which did not have a ledge, prevented her from using her lower body to help boost herself inside. She said she would be able to accomplish the task in the real world.

"I'm as strong as a man, but this particular test was not representative of what a police officer needs to do in the line of duty," Moran-Yatko said from her home. "Women typically have better lower body strength than upper body strength. I was not able to use my strength to get over the wall."

But Moran-Yatko said she is not sure she would take the job now.

WAAAHHHHHH!!!! Does her thang hurt too?? Dang! Oh FREAKIN well!!!! If she's whining now imagine how much she would whine on the job.

Comment

Insane, you're right how thoughtless of me posting this nonsense:

posted by Mr.Pink
                              quote:
                              Personally, I bet she has a killer bod, I'll work with her.
                              I rather undress with my eyes the opposite type of girl, one who chews tobacco, spits, and has armpit hair. One who I can treat like a man, and when we drive by a piece of eye candy, we can both comment about her ***. Thanks for setting me straight.

Police Officers spread rumors, GTFOOH. I'll be damned.

As for Mr.Guboa, if my asset can't fit through the window, I'll have the petite man officer climb in instead. Someone like......You, with a Goatee.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6323 users online. 360 members and 5963 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X