300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-files episode makes anti-freedom statement

Last night I was watching the X-files. It's only like the 3rd time I have seen it. I was bored. Scully was being led around by some unknown guy on a cell phone. The guy was saying stuff about what Scully shuold do and this and that. Scully asked this person if he had ever heard of the Constitution. He replied, "Yeah, it's what gives foreign terrorists the right to live here and attack us from within."

Or something like that. That really upset me. Just think how many fools believe that crap.

Ummm, you know thats fiction, right? Just pretend?
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

I enjoy the X Files. That statement in last nights episode did seem a bit harsh, but you have to take into consideration that #1, it is just fiction, and #2, the bad guy was trying to justify his own tresspasses. The material in last nights show was just following the shows tradition of paranoia. And yes, I guess I'm just a big geek.

Comment

Originally posted by Gubmentcheez:
        And yes, I guess I'm just a big geek.
        That's ok, Gubby. You're a funny mofo, so you're allowed to be a geek. Besides, I luv ya (everyone luvs ya!!)

Comment

I realize the show is fiction. Apparently some of you miss the connection I am trying to make.

What I object to is the statement about the constitution being what allows terrorists to attack us being made now, shortly after terrorists did just that.

Sure the show is fictional, but that's one way the hollywonk freaks make statements to the masses.

Comment

I understand Mike, I really do. Remember your own tag line, "Because you can't get the truth on TV." Unfortunately, you are correct, there are knuckleheads out there who soak that stuff up.

Comment

And as long as there are those out that that soak all this nonsense up there will be the continued bambardment of all this nonsense from the tv and we as humans will have to do all we can to filter through all this nonsense and come out with something that is worth listening to if there is anything left over.

Klar
              Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Uuuhhhhmmmmm guys just in case you didn't know, this is not new news within the Antiterrorism community. For a long time those working within the AT community have wondered why the USA did not have more Terrorism problems (since the type of free society we live in would seem to promote the ease of terrorist acts due to their ability to move freely in our society). While there has also been a counter argument that our very freedom is what keeps us from more Terrorist acts (due to the ability to dispute, demonstrate in the open and try to change the system through politic action not Terrorism). What was said on the show is true (in a sense):

"Scully asked this person if he had ever heard of the Constitution. He replied, "Yeah, it's what gives foreign terrorists the right to live here and attack us from within."

While we do have excellent LE that crack a lot of the Terrorist OPS (most the public never finds out about). The basic freedoms we have also protect other terrorist from capture, infiltration, etc. I'm sorry but if you don't see this you are being naive.

Comment

What allows some terrorists to stay here is a lax immigration service, visa not kept track of, and more.

The constitution is what allows us to be free, to a point. There is nothing naive about it.

Comment

As much as I hate to admit it....TheMan is right...

Terrorism would have a lot less chance of suceeding if law enforcement could just do whatever they wanted to catch them.

Now that that was stated....I sure don't want the constitution to go anywhere!! We will have to live with the fact terrorist acts are going to occur in a free society, and I'm one who will take them over not being free.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTx:
                      "The Constitution . . . [is] what gives foreign terrorists the right to live here and attack us from within."

I think the Constitution is our BEST defense against terrorists. Japan didn't invade our West coast in WWII, partly because they feared our armed citizens http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob0109.html
                      "The right of the people to bear Arms...shall not be infringed."

Comment

I do not think the constitution is hat is protecting a terrorist. You have terroristic attacks innevery country that is on this planet and many of them do not have the freedoms that we as Americans have come to know and enjoy. A terrorist is gonna find a way to do what they wish to do whether the county has freedoms or not. The main defense we have is the fact that we have armed citizens roaming around within our borders. Who knows were they are going to be on a given day and time, and will their presence affect the outcome of an attack.

Klar
                        Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Right or wrong its just a T.V show. And as an avid X-Files watcher it fits totally into the whole trust no one theme of the show.

Comment

It is a TV show for crying out loud! Even if you take TV a bit too seriously and get upset about the content, well guess what, that content is protected by the Constitution. You are not defending the Constitution by criticizing a TV show's content, that content is protected by Free Speech, you are attacking it. It seems to me that you believe in freedom of speech as long as it is the same type of speech you yourself endorse. Well that's not the crux of the Constitution. It allows for unpopular, inflammatory, and even ignorant speech to be spoken without retribution.
                            This is the second posting I've seen that you've gotten upset over the content of a TV show...maybe it's time to pick up a book instead or at least change the channel.
                            "The streets of Philadelphia are safe...it's the people that make them unsafe"---Frank Rizzo
                            http://hometown.aol.com/ppd9886/PhillyCopSpot.html

Comment

It is a TV show for crying out loud!
                              No kidding?

Even if you take TV a bit too seriously and get
                              upset about the content, well guess what, that content is protected by the
                              Constitution.

So is my complaining about it.

You are not defending the Constitution by criticizing a TV show's content,
                              that content is protected by Free Speech, you are attacking it.

The show made a statement I disagreed with, and I voiced my opinion here. That's not against posting policy last time I checked, nor is it against the law. I was exercising my rights.

It seems to me that
                              you believe in freedom of speech as long as it is the same type of speech you yourself
                              endorse.

That is not true. By disagreeing with the content of the show, I am exercising the right you say I am against.

Well that's not the crux of the Constitution. It allows for unpopular,
                              inflammatory, and even ignorant speech to be spoken without retribution.

That's exactly why I complained, but you can make ignorant comments about it if you like, it's your right.

This is the second posting I've seen that you've gotten upset over the content of a TV
                              show...

Keep reading, there will likely be more...

maybe it's time to pick up a book instead or at least change the channel.
                              I'll get right on that.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: MikeTx ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4504 users online. 315 members and 4189 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X