300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riots

For all LEOs who have been in riots what was the first hand action like, and in the heat of the moment was it fun to crack heads with a baton?
    Philly's finest
    No Longer Active
    Last edited by Philly's finest; 08-24-2003, 04:19 PM.

um....I can't really think of anyone saying that a riot is fun, really. The SCIC (State Corrections Institute at Camp Hill) Prison Riot was one of my first major calls as a LEO. It was in 10/89 and I graduated the academy in 8/89. I was visiting my cousin, who was a PSP helo pilot stationed at the Middletown airport when it happened, so I got to arrive "in style"...
    I spent the next three days there, outside of the prison fence taking the numbers of the prisoners that came over to my little area and sat, not wanting to have anything to do with the violence that was going on. I saw some really horrific things during the four hours that I spent in the helo hovering over the main areas of rioting.
    To this day, I do not know how anyone was not killed during that incident. It was either a miracle, or....well, no comment.

My main thought on arrival was OMG! It just started to get bigger and bigger. We would get things calmed down and then it would flare up and the inmates would set something else on fire. The media circus was incredible....CNN and all major networks, plus the ACLU complaining that we weren't housing the poor prisoners properly....they didn't mind that the jerks had just burned down their own buildings to sleep in They didn't like my suggestion that we send them (the ACLU) in to put them back in their cells...

Comment

Yes, I worked two riots in Los Angeles, and I can't imagine you actually asking if it was "fun" to crack someones head with a baton? Are you really serious with that question? If you are, I hope you are not in law enforcment!
      Retired

Comment

I originally made a comment about the possibility of having a troll until I read your other thread, which seemed like a legitimate question. Very few officers like "cracking heads" and that part of your question is somewhat offensive.
        PelicanDriver
        Forum Member
        Last edited by PelicanDriver; 08-24-2003, 10:08 AM.
        Paul

Comment

With that attitude.....it won't take you long to change it or lose the career.

Good luck on maintaining...
          Eddie

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone with the whole baton thing. just a small joke gone bad.

Comment

It is scary seeing a huge, angry crowd throwing rocks and bottles at your officers. I don't think any of the cops found it fun.

Comment

I think Philly is just excited about the job in general. Nothing wrong with that.
                If you mean, do you get a major rush when you arrive at the scene of something like that....the answer is yes! I can't speak for everyone else, but after a big adrenaline spike like that I would get sick to my stomach with the shakes.
                It's just a physiological reaction, nothing that can be controlled or as a result, should be ashamed of...it took me a while to realize that.
                You don't have time to be afraid at the time, it numbs you.

Comment

I have had unfortunate displeasure of being in several riots. 1 riot was with 1,500 angry college students where I was abandonned along with 3 other officers for 4 hours while the mod assaulted-battered several males and femals who dared walk or drive near this mob. This was started because two block partys were shut down by another police dept. I have also been in several after game mobs( at a very successful southern university ) where police and property were attacked all in the name of "Game Celebration". And, I've been in several large fights with groups ranging from 15 to over 100 people.

Several things I have seen that were similar to all these situations was this...Fear and its control over officers. Many become so scared that they allow themselves to be bullied and beaten in these crowds. Department heads give minimal if any real instruction just prior to the incident. Unlike, hours before the event there is a "We don't take no S#!t" attitude, when the riot or situation is about to explode their is alot of "Don't do's". In other words, don't try and stop them! Don't defend yourself or others. Just let them do whatever and then later we'll talk tough and stop some speeders or stop sign runners,as long as they say "Yes,Sir" and "No,Sir". They are really afraid of what may happen if they take any action against any group. Now, I'm sure there are many exceptions to what I've seen. But, I can't comment on what I hav'ent actually experienced. I personally have been the target of investigations and under the table manhunts for my refusal to allow myself or other(cops or citizens) to be hurt without me at least trying to stop it. Dealing with riots & large crowds is dangerous,but so is our job. For Department heads and government riots are a lose-lose situation and their will be plenty of ppl who will allow you to do the right thing and then screw you later if it goes badly. You just have to control your fear do the right thing. I find it easier to sleep with everyone hating me for all the right reasons.
                  War is'nt about who's right, it's about who's left.

Comment

Very well said...welcome to the forum, BTW.

Comment

Riots...
                      Oh lots of fun..been in a few...

October 1994 US Marines quelled a riot at a food distribution point in Cap Haitien,Haiti during Operation Uphold Democracy.Approx. 5000 rioters were quelled by a platoon of Marine grunts utilizing OC and fixed bayonets.

also quelled a few as a member of the Massachusetts Department of Correction Special Operations Response Unit during various prison disturbances.Most recently during the inafamous Bristol County House of Correction (MA) riot,during which 300 inmates rioted and took one officer hostage.The Sheriff's Dept. and local and state police tactical units were called.But DOC Special Operations assumed jurisdiction of the incident site.

Comment

The biggest riot I have had the displeasure to work in was the 1992 Los Angeles riot. I've worked several smaller ones in the Los Angeles area. I've disliked them all.

Comment

Large scale public disorder is far from uncommon in the UK. Most officers are trained to varying degrees in public order tactics. The protective equipment currently provided in our force is very good. We utilise standard methods throughout the country which assists in the provision of mutual aid.

The main techniques are the use of shield serials, who will usually be supported by mounted officers and dog units. In extreme circumstances baton rounds could be deployed - they have never been used to date on the mainland in public order scenarios.

Lobster.

Comment

I got to wade into a large fight/small riot while standing "shore patrol" in Greece in 1981. Greek locals vs sailors. No idea what set it off. Fortunately we had enough SP's to break most of it up. It was all good, until the Greek police arrested ALL of the Americans, including the shore patrol. The XO of the JFK, CV67, had to come get us out of jail. He was NOT amused!

Hey Philly, Pat's or Geno's

Comment

wow ....?

I'm new here but just HAD to post to this one after reading the QUESTION .....

"Philly's Finest" .... honestly, are you SERIOUS about this question or are you just EXTREMELY BORED with your time??

I know one thing, for those who have been in this kind of thing, it's NOT a "circus show" NOR is it "FUN"?? If a situation arises where a RIOT breaks out, I know that yeah, the adrenaline kicks in - but more to DO THE JOB you have to do AND SAVE YOUR OWN life and others along with it, I don't even understand how someone can ASK this question?? And LORD I hope you don't plan on going into law enforcement ... if you do, let me know where you are at please so I can stay FAR FROM that department that hired you ...

This was a SICK question .... if it was meant to be serious, maybe you could have phrased it a bit differently? But then again, I would think there would be more "important" questions on your mind ....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4312 users online. 243 members and 4069 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X