Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allow pictures after stop or on assists?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow pictures after stop or on assists?

I've had a number of people ask for a picture with me after motorist assists, or in one case, after a traffic stop. If I'm not creeped out by them, I have generally allowed it without body contact, and on my weak side only. Thoughts? Part of me says it's good PR, part of me realizes it can be a safety issue (hence the no creepers policy). How do you guys handle that request?

Settle down Francis.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Coming from a tourist environment, it's abnormal to me for someone to ask. As a general rule, enforcement contact = "no, sorry it's against policy." Non-enforcement contact = "Sure." Just a few hours ago a couple of people at the bar wanted their Cinco de Mayo photo with a cop, so I went along with it, until one of them pretended to a pucker her lips like she was about to kiss me.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
      (")_(")
      Copy and paste Bunny into your
      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Not sure where you work, but Ive never had that request other than drunks while checking bars etc. If you feel safe...go for it.
        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

I do it sometimes (depends on the circumstances) as I think it is good PR. I would not do it after an enforcement stop.

Comment

Not on a stop. Getting something to eat or walking back to the car, NP. Want a photo with the car NP just keep off of it and keep your clothes on.

Comment

Just use common sense. It's that simple. Sounds like you have it figured out.

Comment

Be mindful of content and context!

While you still later may become the latest Internet Meme, if you use your grey matter when responding to requests for photos you should be ok. Just remember that sometimes photos and the subjects therein are sometimes viewed in a different light long after the shutter snaps.
                Originally posted by SSD
                It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Relax and don't be so paranoid! Pictures can only hurt you when you are doing something wrong. I have had my photo taken with children, teens, adults, on traffic stops, at incident scenes, etc. None were ever used in a negative manner. Deep down, most people have a great respect for law engorcement officers. They are, however, intimidated to some degree by the authority and don't often approach an officer to talk. Any bit you can do to relieve them of that fear enhances our image greatly. Always go for the PR. It really works.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by juncohere View Post
                    I've had a number of people ask for a picture with me after motorist assists, or in one case, after a traffic stop. If I'm not creeped out by them, I have generally allowed it without body contact, and on my weak side only. Thoughts? Part of me says it's good PR, part of me realizes it can be a safety issue (hence the no creepers policy). How do you guys handle that request?
                    You must be a stud!
                    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3715 users online. 191 members and 3524 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X