X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17yr old soccer player blindside punches referee in Utah, referee dies

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/crime/socce...ah-dies/nXhGJ/

Soccer referee punched by player in Utah dies

MURRAY, Utah — A 46-year-old soccer referee who was punched by a teenage player during a game and later slipped into a coma has died, police said.

Ricardo Portillo of Salt Lake City passed away at the hospital, where he was being treated following the assault last weekend, Unified police spokesman Justin Hoyal said Saturday night.

Police have accused a 17-year-old player in a recreational soccer league of punching Portillo after the man called a foul on him and issued him a yellow card.

"The suspect was close to Portillo and punched him once in the face as a result of the call," Hoyal said in a press release.

The teen, whose name hasn't been released because of his age, has been booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of aggravated assault. Hoyal said authorities will consider additional charges since Portillo has died.

An autopsy is planned. No cause of death was released.

Portillo suffered swelling in his brain and had been listed in critical condition, Dr. Shawn Smith said Thursday at the Intermountain Medical Center in the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray.

The victim's family, which publicly spoke of Portillo's plight this past week, has asked for privacy, Hoyal said.

Johana Portillo, 26, said last week that she wasn't at the April 27 game in the Salt Lake City suburb of Taylorsville, but she said she's been told by witnesses and detectives that the player hit her father in the side of the head.

"When he was writing down his notes, he just came out of nowhere and punched him," she said.

Accounts from a police report, Portillo's daughter and others offer more details about what occurred.

The teenager was playing goalie during a game at Eisenhower Junior High School in Taylorsville when Portillo issued him a yellow card for pushing an opposing forward trying to score a goal. In soccer, a yellow card is given as a warning to a player for an egregious violation of the rules.

The teenager, quite a bit heavier than Portillo, began arguing with the referee, then unleashed a punch to his face. Portillo seemed fine at first, then asked to be held because he felt dizzy. He sat down and started vomiting blood, triggering his friend to call an ambulance.

When police arrived around noon, the teenager was gone and Portillo was laying on the ground in the fetal position. Through translators, Portillo told EMTs that his face and back hurt and he felt nauseous. He had no visible injuries and remained conscious. He was considered to be in fair condition when they took him to the Intermountain Medical Center.

But when Portillo arrived to the hospital, he slipped into a coma with swelling in his brain. Johana Portillo called detectives to let them know his condition had worsened.
    That's when detectives intensified their search for the goalie. By Saturday evening, the teenager's father agreed to bring him down to speak with police.

Portillo's family said he had been attacked before, and Johanna Portillo said she and her sisters begged their father to stop refereeing because of the risk from angry players, but he continued because he loved soccer.

"It was his passion," she said. "We could not tell him no."

That is one idiotic reason to strike someone. In NY a 17 year old is an adult for criminal purposes. He'd be waiting in the big boy jail, probably facing manslaughter charges.

Comment

I'm guessing but I suspect that the man was punched in the dexter trigeminal area resulting inclusively of rupture of the exterior carotid artery or some other major blood vessel.

Comment

Hang that little ****er's ***.
        My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Automatic transfer to Adult court due to age of the kid and the severity of the offense.

He would be looking at 1st degree murder in Iowa
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Hopefully, the court will certify this subject as an adult. In Alabama, it would almost be a certainty.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuerza View Post
              That is one idiotic reason to strike someone. In NY a 17 year old is an adult for criminal purposes. He'd be waiting in the big boy jail, probably facing manslaughter charges.
              Same in Texas. 17+ and you get to stay in grown up jail.

Comment

Thank God this didn't happen in the state of Washington.

Sincerely,
                The Tuba Man
                This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
                  Thank God this didn't happen in the state of Washington.

Sincerely,
                  The Tuba Man
                  OK, I googled Tuba Man. 36 and 72 WEEKS in jail for beating a man to death? I am stunned.
                  When you are dead, you don't know you're dead. It is difficult only for the others around you.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                    OK, I googled Tuba Man. 36 and 72 WEEKS in jail for beating a man to death? I am stunned.
                    What the he... How does this happen? Talk about a miscarriage of justice.

Comment

I doubt the "kid" (I have a hard time calling a 17 yr old a kid) had any idea he would end up killing the guy. And I say that while having at least a passing concept of the "take the victim as found" rule so I'm aware not knowing what can happen is no defense. Just saying most people have no idea how easy it is to maim or kill another person.
                      He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
                      shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
                      - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Originally posted by bsd13 View Post
                        I doubt the "kid" (I have a hard time calling a 17 yr old a kid) had any idea he would end up killing the guy. And I say that while having at least a passing concept of the "take the victim as found" rule so I'm aware not knowing what can happen is no defense. Just saying most people have no idea how easy it is to maim or kill another person.
                        So why would a GSW victim found alive be any different? A head blow can cause death, as has been proven tragically many times. If someone commits an act likely to cause death, they reap the consequences if it does.
                        Last edited by Pogue Mahone; 05-05-2013, 08:34 PM. Reason: better choice of word
                        This Space For Rent

Comment

I had a teen attempt to pull something similar with me once. I'm glad his father and a bunch of his relatives "straightened him out" before he was able to blind side me. After he got a RED card for his 3rd safety violation of the game (mostly slide tackling and high kicking), he got pizzed since his coach benched him for the season (rather than the 2 game minimum required by the league). He deemed that it was all my fault he was out for the season and unfortunately took the wrong course of action.

My prayers go out to the family of the deceased. I sincerely hope Junior gets some help as well. He's got a long road ahead of him. How things play out from here will depend a lot on him.
                          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
                            What the he... How does this happen? Talk about a miscarriage of justice.
                            I do not want to derail the thread but since you mention miscarriage of justice....

Here is one of the little darlings that beat the Tuba Man to death:
                            http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...anpleaxml.html

Here is another of the perps:
                            http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...ng-4183287.php

And yet another of the perps:
                            http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...p#photo-533746

Miscarriage of justice can have far reaching consequence. The gift that just keeps on giving.
                            Last edited by Tom S; 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM. Reason: Edited to add yet ANOTHER azzhole to the list.
                            When you are dead, you don't know you're dead. It is difficult only for the others around you.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Comment

The "Barefoot Bandit" is another example from my state of court wrist-slaps keep on giving.
                              This Space For Rent

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4146 users online. 272 members and 3874 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X