Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Guards Impregnated By Same Inmate

Wow.

Jailhouse Soap Opera: 13 Female Guards Indicted; 4 Impregnated By Same Inmate

BALTIMORE (WJZ)—A brazen scheme to smuggle drugs and cell phones into Baltimore jails. More than two dozen people face federal charges, including corrections officers—some of whom got pregnant by the same inmate.

Kai Jackson has more on the case involving the notorious Black Guerilla Family gang.

It’s a jailhouse soap opera involving drugs, sex and money between corrections officers and inmates. The operation was brought down by tapped cell phones.

Twenty-five people now face federal charges after being part of one of the largest gang-operated criminal enterprises seen at the Baltimore City Detention Center.

“These 25 defendants participated in running the activities of the Black Guerilla Family from behind bars in Baltimore City,” said Rod Rosenstein, U.S. Attorney.

Thirteen female correction officers, seven inmates and five alleged co-conspirators are charged with racketeering, money laundering and possession with the intent to distribute. Officials say all 13 have been suspended without pay and the department is moving to fire them.

The affidavit says the corrections officers helped members of the notorious Black Guerilla Family gang smuggle cell phones, marijuana, prescription pills and cigarettes into the jail to sell to other inmates and make thousands of dollars.

“This situation enabled BGF members to continue to run their criminal enterprise within the jail and the streets of Baltimore,” said Steve Vogt, FBI.

Corrections officers hid the contraband in their shoes. Unlike other facilities in Maryland, Baltimore City does not require employees to remove their shoes when going through screening.

“We are committed to ensuring that this activity does not happen again,” said Baltimore City State’s Attorney Gregg Bernstein.

The ring leader of it all, according to the indictment, is Tavon White, a four-year inmate charged with attempted murder. He reportedly made $16,000 in one month off the smuggled contraband.

Four corrections officers–Jennifer Owens, Katera Stevenson, Chania Brooks and Tiffany Linder, who are also facing charges–allegedly became impregnated by White since he’s been in jail.

Charging documents reveal Owens had “Tavon” tattooed on her neck and Stevenson had “Tavon” tattooed on her wrist.

The indictment seeks the forfeiture of $500,000 and other proceeds of the enterprise, including luxury automobiles.

White allegedly gave Owens a diamond ring and luxury cars to Owens, Stevenson and Brooks.

Secretary Gary Maynard is taking full responsibility.

“It becomes embarrassing for me when we expose ourselves and we participate in an investigation that’s going to show what’s going on in our jails that I am not proud of,” Maynard said.

Despite Tuesday’s takedown, Baltimore City police call members of the BGF gang a spreading cancer that they will continue to find and prosecute.

“We will be relentless in driving them into the ground,” said Baltimore City Police Commissioner Anthony Batts.

As a result of the investigation, Maynard says policy and security changes are forthcoming.

The BGF has been a dominating gang in Maryland detention facilities since 2006.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/0...ltimore-jails/
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

You get what you pay for.

Historically Corrections Officers are the lowest paid part of the Criminal Justice system. They also generally have less formal training than other Law Enforcement Officers.

Screening for those position also NORMALLY involve less testing, low intensive Background Investigations & lower general job requirements.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Wow...........

It’s totally on me. I don’t make any excuses,” said Maynard, who was appointed by Gov. Martin O’Malley in 2007, when the prison system was experiencing a spate of inmate violence and corrections officers’ complaints of staffing shortages. “We will move up the chain of command, and people will be held accountable.” A spokesman said late Tuesday that all of the officers have been suspended without pay and that the department will recommend that they be fired.
      Only a DEMOCRAT could get away with saying this......
      Sen. Lisa A. Gladden (D-Baltimore), who works as a public defender in Baltimore when the legislature is not in session, said the large percentage of female corrections at the detention center contributed to the problem. “A lot of times, they become smitten with the inmates. [The inmates] talk really sweet and say really nice things, and the CO’s fall for them. You need to have a bunch of rough, ugly men.”

But Maynard, the state prison chief, said that the sex of the officers was not the issue. It is not uncommon, he said, for detention centers across the country to employ women. The issue, he said, was this particular group of “bad actors,” who were strategically targeted and were willing to break the law.

Bill
      Last edited by willbird; 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM.
      Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

I have worked "detention" for nearly 36 yrs in various facilities and levels of custody.

Truthfully the sex of the actors have little to do with the ability of the convicts to find ways of coercing staff in to bringing contraband into the facilities.

In the 30 yrs that I was associated with the Iowa Department of Corrections at the penitentiary we had an average-------AVERAGE .......of one person per yr compromised by inmates. True we might have a few yrs without catching someone, but then a rash of idiots would get caught in a short time frame.

Probably a third of that number were men.................and yes, a couple of THEM were sexually compromised.

Read the story in the link below to get an idea of the way things are done . This "story' is probably a bit exaggerated ...............but is pretty accurate of the way a convict works. The story is used NATIONWIDE as training material in most Basic Corrections Trainings

http://forums.officer.com/t94304/

I worked for Mr Maynard for several years.

Gary Maynard was the Director of Corrections for Iowa until he moved on to Maryland in 2007 and is more of a politician than the State Senator quoted above We were happy to see him leave Iowa.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I'm not defending the ****bag, but it takes some serious game to seduce and knock up four COs.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            I have worked "detention" for nearly 36 yrs in various facilities and levels of custody.

Truthfully the sex of the actors have little to do with the ability of the convicts to find ways of coercing staff in to bringing contraband into the facilities.

In the 30 yrs that I was associated with the Iowa Department of Corrections at the penitentiary we had an average-------AVERAGE .......of one person per yr compromised by inmates. True we might have a few yrs without catching someone, but then a rash of idiots would get caught in a short time frame.

Probably a third of that number were men.................and yes, a couple of THEM were sexually compromised.

Read the story in the link below to get an idea of the way things are done . This "story' is probably a bit exaggerated ...............but is pretty accurate of the way a convict works. The story is used NATIONWIDE as training material in most Basic Corrections Trainings

http://forums.officer.com/t94304/

I worked for Mr Maynard for several years.

Gary Maynard was the Director of Corrections for Iowa until he moved on to Maryland in 2007 and is more of a politician than the State Senator quoted above We were happy to see him leave Iowa.
            Besides the obvious loss of employment, charges are added too with possible jail time no? Considering the penalties, why bother? I know, rhetorical question. Do you think the penalties not stiff enough and perhaps should be increased?
            - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
              Besides the obvious loss of employment, charges are added too with possible jail time no? Considering the penalties, why bother? I know, rhetorical question. Do you think the penalties not stiff enough and perhaps should be increased?
              Iowa rarely charges the officers ----------that is a decision that is made at a pretty high paygrade and has some legal reasons in the way we do our investigations.

Penalties have been strengthened in the last 10 yrs to where this much of the contraband coming into the prisons is now in felony weight charges.

Having sex with a prisoner is felony weight crimes in most states now.......and will get you placed on Sex Registrys in most states.

Bottom line is -------------------like most criminals.....the possible charges don't seem to stop the illegal activity

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                I'm not defending the ****bag, but it takes some serious game to seduce and knock up four COs.
                The problem is you usually have a larger scale of corrupted staff within any urban jail prison setting. Also like Iowa stated in most places CO's are the apllicants themselves, lower pay, have not so much screening and have less training and they usually don't face dicsipline for any issues.

As far as the screening process I am lucky working for BOP. There way has kept more people from starting or keeping a job with BOP because we have the same investigation as all Federal LE positions (FBI, US Marshal, Border Patrol etc) like anyone else we have 1 or 2 that slip through but they get delt with. Overall though it keeps a lot of problems from working there. Maybe that is something other agencies should look at but sometimes it becaomes quanity or quality for some hard to staff places.

Comment

Bam-shakka-bam bam.
                  SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                  SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Urban or Rural...where the joint is located has little bearing on what happens behind those walls or fences. Corruption is corruption, no matter where you go! S**t like this is going to happen. I am retired from corrections after 25+ years, and as an Intelligence Officer, I have witnessed "compromising" at all levels. Whether it be State, Federal, Private, City or County facilities your position in the system really doesn't matter when it comes to compromise. Every time issues like this one come to the surface, we all call "foul" and says how bad it is. Truth be given, these are only the ones you hear about. For every incident that gets press, there are probably 10 more issues that get routinely swept under the proverbial rug, most of which are settled with the firing or voluntary resignation of the staff involved. You can have the greatest background checks and hiring practices in the world, but as long as the temptation of a chance to get "more" exists, there will ALWAYS be someone willing to take the risk. Money, sex, attention, you name it, they're all catalysts for criminal behavior. Thank God I knew who I was, who I could trust, and had a strong enough moral fiber to resist this crap. If you think this doesn't happen more than you know, you're just kidding yourself. Stay Safe and Be Strong! Ski

Comment

This is ridiculous! smh
                      New York City Department of Correction and US Army. 🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                        Tavon White appears to be quite the cocksman.
                        Is that even a word?
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

The running joke at the DOC training place is that you can't tell the inmates from the guards. I'm by no means racist, but rarely do I see the cadets not walking, talking and acting like those they are supposed to guard. When you hire trash to guard trash, this is what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                            The running joke at the DOC training place is that you can't tell the inmates from the guards. I'm by no means racist, but rarely do I see the cadets not walking, talking and acting like those they are supposed to guard. When you hire trash to guard trash, this is what you get.
                            Pay isn't the end all be all either. Guards in my state are paid very well, and there are more than a few that look like thugs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                              Tavon White appears to be quite the cocksman.
                              Made me spit out my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any.
                              The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13757 users online. 467 members and 13290 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X