300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probation for juvenile offenders.

For the officers,do most of juveniles you arrest eventually get probation? What is your general opinion on probation? People do get probation partly because there are not enough jail spaces...

I came up with this topic because I have been working in juvenile detention facilities...as a substitute teacher.

I have been to juvenile halls and camps...On Thursday, I ended up subbing in a girls' school inside a juvenile hall. My last class of the day consisted of 17 and 18 year old girls. Towards the end of the period, the girls began talking about...prostitution.
    One 17 year-old began talking about her experience working as a prostitute. (She said that she already had a baby.) Then other girls began talking about their own experiences with prostitution.

I told them to stop discussing that topic...However, they did not listen.

All along, I had no idea why some of the students were in detention. (The school administration instructs teachers not to ask about students' circumstances.) This time, those girls just decided to talk about themselves.

Comment

In my region, the sentencing always starts off easy and progressively gets stiffer as the kid continues to get arrested for various offenses. It might look something like this:

-- First arrest: pre-trial intervention. It never goes to court. If the kid completes the sanctions recommended by the prosecutor, then there is no criminal record. It might include counseling (drug, anger management, ect...) or community service (picking up rubbish) and/or a letter of apology to the victim.

-- More arrests: the kid will be found "guilty", but adjudication is always withheld on these first arrests. Sanction includes probation and possibly counseling. Court ordered to be in school.

-- More arrests: the kid will be found "guilty", but he is adjudicated too. The kid might be court ordered to go to a "special school" intead of a mainstream school. He may be incarcerated for a day, 5 days, or for a short period of time.

-- More arrests: same as above, but incarceration may be 15 or 20 days.

-- More arrests: He may be sent to a "program" where he is incarcerated for 3 to 11 or more months.

-- More arrests: He may be adjudicated as an adult because he is incorrigable.

-- More arrests: you can see it gets progressively stiffer. It has been my experience that there is no hope for the kids who reach this end of the spectrum. They are eventually going to the state prison after the age of 18. We can only protect society from them.

Comment

-- More arrests: the kid will be found "guilty", but he is adjudicated too. The kid might be court ordered to go to a "special school" intead of a mainstream school. He may be incarcerated for a day, 5 days, or for a short period of time.
        I once had to sub in a special school called a community education center...I had to deal with a bunch of boys living in a group home.
        It was not a positive experience...

-- More arrests: He may be sent to a "program" where he is incarcerated for 3 to 11 or more months.
        I think a kid would go to a county probation camp.

-- More arrests: He may be adjudicated as an adult because he is incorrigable.

-- More arrests: you can see it gets progressively stiffer. It has been my experience that there is no hope for the kids who reach this end of the spectrum. They are eventually going to the state prison after the age of 18. We can only protect society from them.
        I guess one has to be at least 19 years old to end up in a county jail or a state prison...I do have a feeling that a great number of the kids that I encounter in juvenile halls would eventually end up in state prison. I wonder if there is a research on the percentage of adult prisoners who were in juvenile hall.

Comment

My opinion is that probation is only as good as the probation officer supervising them along with the committment of the parents/guardians involved. If the offenders don't abide by it then they can be charged with Breach of Probation and may end up in jail.

Probation is a good step in the process and as a follow-up to a sentence.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158305 users online. 131 members and 158174 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X