300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Army

The US Army is using my tax dollars to make a video game called America's Army... they've spent about $20 million dollars on the development of this game. They are providing the game to the public for free.

I have downloaded the game, and it is one of the most realistic combat simulators out. I have spent countless hours playing it. However, I feel kinda funny that the government is using my tax dollars to make video games and TV shows...

What do you think?

Hey! It's a valuable recruiting tool! Now we can remove any doubt whatsoever that young, dumb kids won't know that real army life isn't like a video game! I guess they'll get a shock when they get shot at for reals, though...

...It is fun, though... *looks at recruitment brochure* The only problem for me is that my internet connection is too slow, there are very few games I can play online, a real bummer...

[ 11-14-2002, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: n567 ]
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
    -Mark Twain

Comment

It is a total, complete and 200% waste of money, that otherwise could have been applied towards real-world efforts at recruitment. The army seems to come up with such bogus stuff on a regular basis.

I am astounded that American kids would really think a living army would be comparable to a simple minded, electronic game.

Jim Burnes

Comment

20 mil on a stupid video game, I could get a nice 3-cent raise out of that money. Or better yet a re up bonus. Kids know the army is out their heck all you have to do is watch the news. And if you join cus you played a video game then you are stupid. Several months ago I was at the recruiting command HQ taking a report on something stupid. The Col that I was getting the report from was one of the knuckleheads that was involved in coming up with this stupid idea. He gave me a copy of the game. And then went on for 20 min on how this was a great recruiting tool. I get back to the office and put it into the computer and that was when it hit me, IT IS TIME TO GET OUT! I will give credit it is a nice game, but for 20 mil of the taxpayers money I think they could have spent it better.

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by ice_fog:
          He gave me a copy of the game. And then went on for 20 min on how this was a great recruiting tool. I get back to the office and put it into the computer and that was when it hit me, IT IS TIME TO GET OUT! .

Ice-Fog,

That's just one reason for you to stay in. Stay the course and get some common sense injected into the army system.

The best recruiting tool is the soldier making the pitch in a classroom.

Jim Burnes

Comment

quote:
            could have been applied towards real-world efforts at recruitment
            Maybe they should make an awesome video game to attract kids to the military.

Comment

Uh, Mike...

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by Jim Burnes:

That's just one reason for you to stay in. Stay the course and get some common sense injected into the army system.

there is no way one man can change 200+ years of stupidity

Comment

I will admit that I am not happy that my tax dollars went toward the development of a video game. If I've already paid for it, however, I want a copy. Can anyone tell me where to get it?

Comment

America's Army Game

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Haven't you guys ever seen "The Last Starfighter"?!?!?

Duh!

-Sparky

Comment

Why are they spending that much money making games? Don't we have other things to spend money on?
                          "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

Comment

The Army has been using video simulators as training tools for many years. Back in the mid-80's, I took a tank gunnery simulator (VIGS) from unit to unit, both for training and recruiting purposes.

How is it any different than say, a flight simulator? It is much cheaper than breaking the real thing while training.
                            Dave Kiefner
                            [i]Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die S

Comment

WTF? A better recruiting tool than I have ever seen used.

I swear to God, when I did some recruiting duty in the early 80's, the only way I think I could have interested anyone in the Army was to walk around in my uniform, with long hair, a scruffy beard, smoking a joint, with bags of weed and other dope hanging out of my pockets, and green boogers coming out of my nose! We would have had the recruiting office packed with those wonderful young people from that area!

Nowdays, thanks to Rambo movies, Desert Storm, and 9-11, I'm amazed yet proud to see young people get a spark.

I still think every young man should go through basic training and an MOS school from a branch of choice(or one selected for him), and then be given the option of serving from there, or being in a pool to draw from should we need to form mass troops in a hurry. It would wake a lot of them up, and make better people out of them.
                              Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5831 users online. 308 members and 5523 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X