300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Disqualifiers for the FBI

I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on whether or not my past medical conditions would be disqualifiers for the FBI.

I deployed in 2010 to Afghanistan and did a combat tour as an Infantryman in the Marines. Shortly before what would have been my 2nd deployment, I was diagnosed with cancer. They removed my appendix, gall bladder, and about a half of my colon. I've been completely clear ever since and I am nearly done with my follow-ups...about to be declared cancer free. Right when I was diagnosed, I had some trouble sleeping due to stress and they diagnosed me with mild PTSD. I was separated from the Marines with a med-board for the cancer diagnosis. I was given 50% VA disability: 30% for PTSD, 10% for Tinnitis (ringing in the ears), and 10% for chronic pneumonia symptoms (possibly caused by burn pits in Afghan). I just got out of the Marines, so I haven't been able to go in for a follow-up to get my rating adjusted with the VA. I have no symptoms of any of these disabilities anymore and I'd like to get them removed so I don't receive compensation for something that doesn't exist.

It sounds worse than it is. Currently, I have no symptoms of anything wrong with me, I sleep fine, and I can easily pass the fitness requirements that I found for the FBI. I'm 100% cancer free, 100% everything free. I just have this for a medical record with the VA, which I'm sure will show up when they do background check or see that I was medically separated from the Marines (honorable discharge, though).

Will this be a disqualifier? Or will they see that I'm good to go currently and be fine with it? Any help is appreciated.

Intelligence and common sense is an automatic disqualifier.

Comment

First of all, a sincere thanks for your service. OK, you've actually come to the wrong place to inquire concerning FBI medical standards. My first suggestion would be for you to visit the FBI website. You should be able to obtain much information there.

Comment

Hey, thanks for your service and I am glad that things are looking up. I don't know the answer to your questions but if the FBI thing doesn't work out, you are golden when it comes to Federal employment as a disabled vet.

Good luck !!

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          First of all, a sincere thanks for your service. OK, you've actually come to the wrong place to inquire concerning FBI medical standards. My first suggestion would be for you to visit the FBI website. You should be able to obtain much information there.
          The FBI website is extremely vague about prior medical conditions and their medical screening process in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucasbroderick View Post
            The FBI website is extremely vague about prior medical conditions and their medical screening process in general.

OK, typical I guess. Take a look at Post #4. That could be of some help to you.

Comment

I can’t give you an answer with respect to the FBI, however, I can give you an idea with regard to law enforcement in general.

First, let’s address your PTSD. Law enforcement candidates are evaluated to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that they are capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

It doesn’t matter if you believe your PTSD is not an issue. Whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by a licensed psychologist.

With respect to your other medical issues, take a look at http://post.ca.gov/medical-screening-manual.aspx While these are California’s standards, the principles behind them are fairly universal for most of law enforcement.

Attempting to get your disability rating removed is pointless. It will not undo the fact that you received certain injuries. Those injuries and the treatment received will be discovered and evaluated as part of your medical screening. Any attempts to withhold information or be deceitful in the hiring process can get your disqualified for dishonesty. Once you exhibits traits of dishonesty in the hiring process you can become a permanent DQ as someone who is lacking in good moral character.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Im 70% with the VA and am a reserve for a local PD right now. Dont worry about trying to get your disabilities taken away because they will re-eval on their time, not yours. I have been out since later 08 and just got my first Re-eval for my TDRL (temporary disability retired list). Its all about how you test not what your records say. I have Tinnitis, got some nerve damage and sensory loss in both legs from bullets/shrapnel, PTSD (now managed), Mild TBI from shrapnel to the forehead. Dont let your diagnosis run your life. If you want to test then do it.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckiniraq81 View Post
                  Im 70% with the VA and am a reserve for a local PD right now. Dont worry about trying to get your disabilities taken away because they will re-eval on their time, not yours. I have been out since later 08 and just got my first Re-eval for my TDRL (temporary disability retired list). Its all about how you test not what your records say. I have Tinnitis, got some nerve damage and sensory loss in both legs from bullets/shrapnel, PTSD (now managed), Mild TBI from shrapnel to the forehead. Dont let your diagnosis run your life. If you want to test then do it.
                  Mainly I'm just trying to avoid a situation in which they don't even consider me due to past medical history. If they re-eval and that's what they go off of for medical, then I should be golden. Thanks for the info.

Comment

First and again: Thank you for your service!

I would suggest contacting the recruitment folks. While they are not the know all/end all, they can likely key in on any potential disqualifying medical conditions and/or steer you to the medical review folks.
                    Originally posted by SSD
                    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4886 users online. 305 members and 4581 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X