No announcement yet.

It's started in NY - Refusing to Register Guns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This refusal to register will in the long term be a relative non issue. Since no one knows who owns what guns how will any police official know that you did not register?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob2899 View Post
      I'm a native of Northern Ohio which has been a democratic stronghold for years. While not a resident of Cleveland (thankfully) the City (and region) have really taken a turn for the worst. And it's thanks in large part to the decades of bad policies.

Another reason to love the south.....especially Texas. I love the peopl and the cultures....it's so much different than what I've grown up around.
      If you got on the Ohio turnpike and drove west til you reach the last exit, and got off there, you would enter a totally different world, which shares a LOT with what you admire in the south (even the temperature today hehe)
      Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
        This refusal to register will in the long term be a relative non issue. Since no one knows who owns what guns how will any police official know that you did not register?
        Exactly, just keep your guns in your house and no one will ever know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
          When he sees your gun and asks for your proof of registration, or runs the serial number?

I strongly disagree with a lot of firearm laws, and especially with a lot of what's being proposed around the nation. But I like my life. I'm not about to risk a felony or prison if I can avoid it, so I live in a state without a bunch of extra gun control laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfleet Officer View Post
            Civil disobedience is great when that happens. Until then, it's just breaking the law.

If in the course of that visit you shoot a cop, it's no longer civil disobedience; it's just shooting a cop. This is why we have the Supreme Court.
            I would take a wild guess and say the majority of local cops are not dumb enough or WILLING to start confiscating people's guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
              When he sees your gun and asks for your proof of registration, or runs the serial number?
              When will anyone see your gun, if you keep a low profile and keep it in your house?

Comment

I know I will get blasted by someone for saying this, but people who do not learn from history are DOOMED to repeat it.

This is becoming more and more a spitting image of the Civil War and the Revolutionary War each day. Parts of it are the citizens standing up to an ever increasing oppresive government in the manner of the Revolutionary War. And state, county, and local officials are standing up for States' Rights which are the result of the Civil War, and a large part of what led to the Civil War.

The question now is, will the Federal Government wake up, or will they walk right into a repeat of history.

Say the counties and states refuse to enforce a law, in this case, unlawful gun legislation. What will the federal governemt do? Send in the military to enforce them? How well do you think that will go?
                I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                  When will anyone see your gun, if you keep a low profile and keep it in your house?
                  That is a slippery slope to go down.

For example, now if your house is burglarized (or worse) you have to get your illegal gun out of there or into hiding before you can let the cops in.

Also I like my shooting. My guns are not meant to sit idle in a locked box.

Comment

The NY Sheriff's Association came out in opposition to the new law: (page currently down due to high traffic volume)

http://www.nysheriffs.org/articles/s...se-ny-safe-act

portions:

•Assault weapon ban and definition of assault weapons.

We believe that the new definition of assault weapons is too broad, and prevents the possession of many weapons that are legitimately used for hunting, target shooting and self defense. Classifying firearms as assault weapons because of one arbitrary feature effectively deprives people the right to possess firearms which have never before been designated as assault weapons. We are convinced that only law abiding gun owners will be affected by these new provisions, while criminals will still have and use whatever weapons they want.

• Reduction of ammunition magazine capacity.

The new law enacts reductions in the maximum capacity of gun magazines. We believe based on our years of law enforcement experience that this will not reduce gun violence. The new law will unfairly limit the ability of law‐abiding citizens to purchase firearms in New York. It bears repeating that it is our belief that the reduction of magazine capacity will not make New Yorkers or our communities safer.

•Method of bill passage.

It is the view of the Sheriffs’ Association that anytime government decides it is necessary or desirable to test the boundaries of a constitutional right that it should only be done with caution and with great respect for those constitutional boundaries. Further, it should only be done if the benefit to be gained is so great and certain that it far outweighs the damage done by the constriction of individual liberty. While many of the provisions of the new law have surface appeal, it is far from certain that all, or even many, of them will have any significant effect in reducing gun violence, which is the presumed goal of all of us. Unfortunately the process used in adoption of this act did not permit the mature development of the arguments on either side of the debate, and thus many of the stakeholders in this important issue are left feeling ignored by their government. Even those thrilled with the passage of this legislation should be concerned about the process used to secure its passage, for the next time they may find themselves the victim of that same process. Fortunately, the Governor has shown himself open to working with interested parties to address some of the problems that arose due to the hasty enactment of this law. We will work with the Governor and the
                    Legislature on these issues.

Sheriffs understand their Constitutional obligations and the concerns of constituents Sheriffs and other law enforcement officers are not called upon by this new legislation to go door‐to‐door to confiscate any weapons newly classified as assault weapons, and will not do so.

Sheriffs represent all the people, and we take an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of New York. Sheriffs will continue to enforce all laws of the state and will protect the rights of all citizens, including those rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of New York.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                      Exactly, just keep your guns in your house and no one will ever know.
                      Yea, until the state police get a list of firearm owners from the FFLs or ATF.

Smart thing is to register the firearms you actually plan to use for self defense and keep the other ones off the books.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                        Yea, until the state police get a list of firearm owners from the FFLs or ATF.

Smart thing is to register the firearms you actually plan to use for self defense and keep the other ones off the books.
                        Running all that down could be tough, the Canadians registered nail guns, staple guns, junk guns....and completely buried the registry system with entries. Some FFL's who have been in the business for years have literally thousands of "junk guns". My dad was a pack rat, he died in 86 but I still find gun receivers in boxes of other parts he had squirreled away. I remember seeing a hardware store where up on the wall near the cieling behind the register they had what must have easily been 1000 rusty pump action 22 rifles...on broomsticks sticking out of the wall 24" stacked like kindling....somebody ily 3 generations ago started putting them up there when they could buy one cheap, and they kept up the tradition.

MG were controlled in 1934, with an amnesty in 1968 that a lot of people did not know about, and guns never registered still show up here and and there.
                        Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Welcome to NJ.We've had to register our handguns for years. Hell, we need an additional permit just to purchase one.
                          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
                            Welcome to NJ.We've had to register our handguns for years. Hell, we need an additional permit just to purchase one.
                            And yet Gov Crispie Creme doesn't need a permit to buy more donuts and ice cream.
                            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

This thread is another fine example of "here's why Texas rocks and your state doesn't".

From the Constitution of the State of Texas:
                              Originally posted by Texas
                              Sec. 23. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.
                              ~Gun control has always been about punishing the people that didn't shoot anyone.

Comment

I visited TX three times, courtesy of my old Uncle Sam, and thought it was pretty cool. (Except there was some "not cool" weather my first time there, from late May into August '74.)

But Maine rocks, too:
                                Maine State Constitution, Article I, Declaration of Rights.
                                Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.

I was all set to write "'National Guard' that, Senator _____," and went looking for a name to fill in the blank. In the process, I found something very interesting, which concludes with "The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner."
                                Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session (1982)
                                <http://www.guncite.com/journals/senrpt/senrpt.html>
                                --
                                Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5468 users online. 182 members and 5286 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                                X