300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Games

Do you think games like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Hitman 2 give kids bad ideas? I personally think most games are harmless, ok maybe not these too but most others. I have Grand Theft Auto and I love it. I wouldn
    LETS GO CAPS!!

LETS GO TERPS!!

I think they do have a negative effect on the borderline people. Others are fine with them.
    My kids don't get those games, no way.
    I don't care for those kind of games, frankly they bore me.

Comment

I think they'd be a negative influence on kids. Kids are so amazed with things they see on television and etc., and think it is okay to do things they see on T.V. in real life. I would think they would try to make what they see on video games a reality using their own little imaginations so I would ban those crappy, waste of my precious time things.

[ 11-14-2002, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Ms.Kodi ]
      "I pity da foo. Stop yo jibba jabba!!"

Comment

I have to agree. Kids should not being playing those types of games. Mom and Dad need to lmit those games. Thats why they have ratings.
        now for adults they are fine.
        GTA looks really good an I may have to pick that up sometime.
        Hitman has taken some flak because they use a holy Sikh temple and plaster it w/blood.
        Thats going to far.

TG
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I have pretty mixed feelings about them. On one hand, kids do play these games and are influenced by them. That, to me, makes it unethical for the companies to produce them. On the other hand, they're a lot of fun. I know better than to blow up cars and shoot cops in real life, so it's just a harmless outlet for my destructive tendencies. Maybe we should just say that only cops will be allowed to play them. (I won't be able to afford it until I get a job anyway)

Mike
          "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

Kids should not be playing GTA 3... any responsible parent will see that running over people, carjacking, contract killing, killing cops and sniping shoppers is not a very health activity, even in a video game.

If you are an adult, that's a different story, I have a blast taking cops on a high speed chase and then jumping out with a M-16..... even better when it's the FBI...

Comment

Dave, Vice City is even better than GTA3.

Do I think that these games influence people? Only those that are likely to take advice from their dog.

Do I let my son play GTA3 or Vice City or watch when I play? Nope.

Comment

My new favorite is Socom Navy Seals. The interactive headset makes it that much better and you're shooting bad guys instead of innocents.
                If there is a tourist season, why can't I shoot them???

Comment

In my view, you can expose a kid to a good deal of violence in the media if he has responsible parents. My parents were such people, and though I grew up playing video games, and watching violent movies, I've never gotten into a single physical altercation... Almost.

Vice City is fantastic. doing drive by shootings on a little scooter is kinda comical.

[ 11-14-2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: n567 ]
                  Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
                  -Mark Twain

Comment

i can't wait to get Vice City. in GTA3 i always try and open the passenger side of the cop car so they have to get out, then i bust a cap. after they really try and come get me, i bazooka the helicopter down, snipe the coppers from a distance then flame them when they get too close. i love that game. but that's just it, it's only a game.

Comment

I actually play some of those games with my kids. But I also talk to them about life, take them to church, treat them, their mother, and our neighbors with respect, etc. etc. They know the difference. My theory is, if you raise them good, let them get their kicks vicariously through a video game, they wont have to go try it in real life. I may be totally wrong but I've raised one to adulthood, one almost there, and three right smack dab in the middle of being hormonal teenagers without any of them being violent or criminal yet.

Comment

Video Games, The Media, Movies, TV, Music, they all affect kids. They all can have a negative affect on your child and how they think. When and if I have children I will be involved in their lives, I will know what they are doing, watching, and listening to. And it won't be playing GTA or listening to Ice-T.

I would advise reading "On Killing" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman if you have any interest on the subject.

Killology

Comment

Any game that promotes the shooting of police officers or sniping innocent shoppers should be banned regardless of whether the player is an adult or not. It's just not right. I don't care if you know the difference between play & reality or not.

Comment

I think that if someone is pushed over the edge and into a life of crime by a video game, you really have to wonder how much longger they would have been OK on their own anyway.
                            Will Coy
                            "It's a thankless job but I have a lot of Karma to burn off."

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by Pigskin:
                              Any game that promotes the shooting of police officers or sniping innocent shoppers should be banned regardless of whether the player is an adult or not. It's just not right. I don't care if you know the difference between play & reality or not.

Thank god that's unconsitutional! Trying to take my precious video games from me.
                              Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
                              -Mark Twain

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6119 users online. 369 members and 5750 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X