300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fto

What kind of FTO program does your Dept. use We use the San Jose program. Do you like the one you have set up or would you loike something different?

Kevin

My department also uses San Jose. I feel that it is a good system, but I feel that the documentation is excessive. I believe that there must be a more efficient way to identify, document, and correct problem behaviors, while recognizing positive behaviors. Is it really necessary to categorize, and assign numerical values to everything? I think that if a serious pattern develops, it will be easily identified, without excessive documentation.

Comment

If administered objectively, the San Jose protocol is highly effective, and most importantly defensible in labor suits. The problem I had with it was that sub-par recruits were simply bounced from one FTO to another until they finally got an FTO who would pass them. The end result is now a skip-promoted DEPUTY CHIEF who was recommended for termination by nearly everyone who trained her, AND people who rode with her during Little-T (post FTO probation). The San Jose program depends on having an adminstration that will respect the observations of experienced FTO's and act on their recs.

Comment

What is the San Jose program?

Comment

I don't know what ours is called but it has a major flaw. Administration felt that the best FTO's would be senior officers. Most of them are set in THEIR ways or are too lazy. They do send a new FTO to an FTO school but then do not teach them what they should be teaching on a Departmental level. As a result you get FTO's teaching shortcuts or procedures that are not used by the Department.

Comment

The San Jose is a four month (or so) fto Program that is set up into 4 phases with 4 different fto's you are graded daily in about 30 different areas. Each phase is 14 days except the fourth phase wich is seven days.

Comment

Here they assign 1 training Sergeant and maybe 1 training officer to 15 to 25 cops and then just throw them out on the streets to learn.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2162 users online. 88 members and 2074 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X