Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some departments still not have MVR?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some departments still not have MVR?

I was screening some new files this morning and reviewed what appears to be a pretty solid eluding case according to the police report. Then when I asked someone to pull the MVR for me from the local PD, I was told that department X still doesn't have MVR( I Had been on military leave for two years).

OK, I realize that a) the case is more than likely going to plead out and not go to trial and b) even if it does, the officer can testify as to what he saw. But how great would it be to show the tape to a jury? Because while a police officer may be convinced that the driver knew he received a signal to stop, a juror or two could be on the fence about whether the driver knew. Show the tape and if it's compelling enough, all doubt is eliminated.

Anyone ever testify in an eluding case? Anyone do so without the benefit of MVR? I am guessing some older timers have.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

What is MVR?

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
      What is MVR?
      +10000000

Never heard of MVR
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
        What is MVR?
        dash cam recorder. They use the acronym MVR around here.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Expense to equip 1000's of RMPs?

Comment

If I was to guess, I would say cost is the biggest factor. Setting up the parameters and writing a policy for use would probably be tied for second.

Comment

I suspect there are some other considerations as well.

Many of the officers and the union in my former agency strongly resisted cameras at first, out of fear that management would use them to spy on the officers, particularly those they didn’t like, and pick at little things as an excuse for BS discipline. In response, management promised that random reviews would not be made. Instead, they said videos would only be reviewed if a complaint was made or if needed for presentation in court as evidence.

Since then a number of atrocious acts of misconduct have occurred involving law enforcement officers here in Southern California (not necessarily my old agency). When asked by the press, public and politicians why management didn’t catch and punish this conduct after randomly auditing the dash cam video, the response was that tapes were only reviewed when a complaint was made or the tape was needed for court.

Now the public is demanding that the cameras be used as a spy device to randomly monitor officers throughout their shift, making it impossible for two partner officers alone in the car to even have a personal and private conversation without it being subject to review or held against them. Once again, some officers are beginning to resist the idea of having cameras in the cars.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

We don't have them. I think cost is the biggest factor.

Comment

In NYC, only NYPD highway patrol has them. It would be a logistical nightmare to outfit the few thousand RMPs used for patrol as well as monitor them and repair/replace them when needed.

Also they would be of limited usefulness as the majority of calls the sector cars receive take place at locations other than in front of their RMP.
                  “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Don't have them and don't want them.
                    "Oro En Paz, Fierro En Guerra"
                    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
                    - Attributed to both George Orwell and Winston Churchill (unsourced)
                    Californian by birth, Cardinals fan by marriage!

Comment

You can keep your cameras, I don't want/need one.

Comment

The Department I volunteer for, which has hundreds of cars, not one is equipped with a video camera.

In NY, a video camera will always be used against you. No cameras on are a good thing.

Comment

We are supposed to have them here in Texas, mainly for racism claims. If you don't, you are supposed to document your contact with a person you detain for state and/or federal purposes. Even though we have VHS and hard drive video recorders in each unit as required, our agency still requires our state and/or federal racial bias information after each encounter. At end of a traffic stop, we advise dispatch to copy the bias reporting information, and after they acknowledge, you give them the information in code. Our CAD stores the information for further future use.

I hate being watched by camera, but today's "NCIS" juries require far more evidence than just officer testimony alone. Since everyone has been issued digital cameras over the last few years, every property crime now has, at the least, digital image documentation. Other than these images being "zipped" and uploaded in our case management, we can do the same with video in addition to turning in the video footage on disc into evidence.

Comment

Atlanta PD are just now installing cameras in their cars. Another large neighboring agency (Dekalb) doesn't have them. The rest of metro Atlanta seems to have them.

Comment

They tried to install them in the police cars here in DC several years ago and the FOP successfully got that plan dismantled.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7292 users online. 408 members and 6884 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X