• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NextGenOfc
    Forum Member
    • May 2009

CT Rep wants CCW permit holders names' released

Another idiot

Lawmakers across the state are taking on gun control issues in the aftermath of the school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on Dec. 14.

State Rep. Stephen Dargen, a Democratic legislator from West Haven, wants the names and addresses of about 170,000 handgun permit holders in the state to be made public.

Names of gun owners are now confidential, but Dargen believes if people know how many guns are spread across communities, they’ll be safer.

State Senator Martin Looney, of New Haven, is proposing ammunition control legislation, which would prohibit anyone barred from owning a gun from owning bullets or any other kind of ammunition.

“A gun without ammunition is only a club. We really need to restrict access to ammunition,” Looney said.

Some gun owners and advocates feel that the federal law that bans the sale of ammunition to felons is enough and enacting it on the state level won’t be effective.

Rich Burgess, president of Connecticut Carry, a gun rights lobbying group, said he is dumbfounded by this bill.

“Don’t penalize hundreds of millions of gun owners for the actions of a mad man for reasons that can’t be explained,” Burgess said.

Looney says he hopes to have this passed by February or March.

He will introduce the bill during the new session, which begins on Jan 9.

State Rep. Stephen Dargen, of West Haven, wants the names and addresses of about 170,000 handgun permit holders in the state to be made public.
  • PhilipCal
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2004

And this particular exercise in stupidity will prevent any further Sandy Hook incidents, right?

Comment

• MDPOLICE
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2008

Lawmakers across the state are taking on gun control issues in the aftermath of the school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on Dec. 14.

State Rep. Stephen Dargen, a Democratic legislator from West Haven, wants the names and addresses of about 170,000 handgun permit holders in the state to be made public.

Names of gun owners are now confidential, but Dargen believes if people know how many guns are spread across communities, they’ll be safer.

State Senator Martin Looney, of New Haven, is proposing ammunition control legislation, which would prohibit anyone barred from owning a gun from owning bullets or any other kind of ammunition.

“A gun without ammunition is only a club. We really need to restrict access to ammunition,” Looney said.

Some gun owners and advocates feel that the federal law that bans the sale of ammunition to felons is enough and enacting it on the state level won’t be effective.

Rich Burgess, president of Connecticut Carry, a gun rights lobbying group, said he is dumbfounded by this bill.

“Don’t penalize hundreds of millions of gun owners for the actions of a mad man for reasons that can’t be explained,” Burgess said.

Looney says he hopes to have this passed by February or March.

He will introduce the bill during the new session, which begins on Jan 9.

I think his last name says it all.

Comment

• PhilipCal
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2004

Yep, ya nailed that one.

Comment

• Jacob2899
          College Student
          • Jun 2011

Since we're kinda on the subject......saw this in the WaPo

A working group led by Vice President Biden is seriously considering measures backed by key law enforcement leaders that would require universal background checks for firearm buyers, track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database, strengthen mental health checks, and stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools or giving them to minors, the sources said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...46f_print.html
          So....who are these "key law enforcement leaders?" With the exception of the IACP, I really haven't heard LEOs come out in support of gun control.

Granted, cops are people too and they all have their own opinions. But the media makes it seems as if every cop in America hates guns, and all march in lock-step in support of gun control.

I'd be willing to bet that on the issue of gun control, Lt. Col. Dave Grossman speaks for more cops than the IACP.

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Comment

• mdrdep
            An Obvious problem
            • May 2007

I have no problem with a state banning possession of ammo from people who are already banned from possessing guns (ie. felons and crazies). I would like to see a better database to keep guns out of crazies hands. I've committed quite a few people under my state's law for mentally ill involuntary commitments. Never have I seen in 24 years ONE of their names entered into a database to alert cops or firearms dealers that they were prohibited from possessing firearms, even though they are.
            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

• L-1
              • Jun 2004

Perhaps a Different Idea

I would suggest that the mass public release of gun owners names and addresses has made them potential targets of thieves and anti-gun personnel, placing their lives and safety, that of their families and their neighbors unnecessarily at risk.

Given the grave potential consequences of such an action and to protect against a repeat of such an action, I would suggest emergency legislation be enacted calling for the immediate elimination of gun registration laws and the destruction of all existing government gun registration records.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• QuietPro
                Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
                • Dec 2009

Colt needs to tell the good state of CT. to go straight to Hell, and move ALL their operations down south to a gun friendly state, like GA. or SC......... They've issued statements in the past threatening to do this. I hope all this B S pushes them over the edge, and they actually do it. I hope any and ALL firearm companies with manufacturing capabilities in other states like CA, NY, and IL follow suit, as well.
                Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

• QuietPro
                  Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Jacob2899
                  With the exception of the IACP, I really haven't heard LEOs come out in support of gun control.
                  You obviously haven't read any of ten08's posts.......
                  Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18527 users online. 33 members and 18494 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...