300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Webster NY Firefighters Shot, 2 killed on scene of a Structure Fire

WEBSTER, N.Y. (AP) - Four volunteer firefighters responding to a pre-dawn house fire were shot Monday morning, two fatally, leading to a shootout in suburban Rochester, N.Y., police said.

"One or more shooters" fired at the firefighters after they arrived shortly after 5:30 a.m. at the blaze near the Lake Ontario shore, just east of Rochester, Town of Webster Police Chief Gerald Pickering said.

There was no active shooter at the scene later Monday morning, according to Monroe County Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn. The first Webster police officer who arrived on the scene exchanged gunfire with the shooter, Flynn said, but he had no other information on the shootout.

The West Webster Fire District received a report of a car and house on fire on Lake Road, on a narrow peninsula where Irondequoit Bay meets Lake Ontario, Flynn said.

"When they got there, they stated to take on rounds and the initial responders were struck," the sheriff said....
    http://www.firefighternation.com/art...ork-house-fire

RIP Brothers
    Semper Paratus/Always Ready
    Originally posted by jakflak
    The bottom line: always be nice to the magic voice. All hail the magic voice!!
    Originally posted by Michigan
    I have a 1 year old daughter and at this rate I'm almost certain I'm going to end up in prison by the time she's 15 years old. I swear, the first guy that that comes knocking on my door holding onto a naked photo of my daughter.....

Don't bother telling me, "oh it's her fault too".... I know, I have double standards. Deal with it.

: )

This is my area, so incredibly sad. RIP

Comment

One of the volunteer firefighters killed is actually a LT.for the police dept....
      Retired LASD

Comment

Rest in peace.... apparently an off duty police officer was also injured..... this is terrible and sad.

Comment

This is what is has come to . . .? Firing at fire fighters? WTF is wrong with people . . .

Maybe the world should've ended last week :-/

RIP.

Comment

UPDATE

(CNN) -- Four firefighters were shot, two fatally, while responding to a fire in upstate New York on Monday, and investigators believe the suspect had deliberately set a trap to lure them to the scene.

The alleged assailant, who also died, apparently took aim at the firefighters as they arrived at an early morning house and vehicle fire in the Rochester-area town of Webster, Police Chief Gerald Pickering said.

Pickering said two of the firefighters who were shot died at the scene. The two injured firefighters were hospitalized in intensive care, officials said. An off-duty police officer passing by the area also sustained shrapnel wounds, Pickering said.

Authorities did not immediately identify the suspect, who Pickering said was found dead at the scene.

"It does appear that it was a trap that was set," said Pickering, who choked back tears as he talked about the firefighters who were killed. One was also a police lieutenant with about 20 years on the force.

The shooting occurred amid a renewed debate over gun control following the elementary school massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, on Dec. 14 that killed 26 people, most of them children.

"As you can see, emotions are extremely high," Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks told reporters. "There's a heightened awareness to this kind of violence in light of what happened in Connecticut, and I just want everyone to remember: It's Christmas Eve. We have first responders, and we have families who are in pain and crisis today and we need to as a community keep them in our thoughts and prayers."

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo described the Webster shooting as horrific and senseless.

"Volunteer firefighters and police officers were injured and two were taken from us as they once again answered the call of duty," he said in a statement.

Firefighters first arrived at the Webster fire before 6 a.m., said Rob Boutillier, the town's fire marshal.

The gunfire stopped firefighters from working to extinguish the flames and forced police SWAT teams to evacuate homes in the area. By noon, four houses were engulfed by flames.

"It took a while to make it safe ... to put out the fires," Pickering said.

One firefighter escaped from the scene in his own vehicle about an hour after he was shot and was taken to the hospital by an ambulance from another location, Boutillier said.

Another wounded firefighter was conscious and speaking when he was removed from the scene, Boutillier said.

The wounded firefighters were in intensive care Monday at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, New York, officials said.
            http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/24/us/new...html?hpt=hp_t1

Last edited by -A-; 12-24-2012, 01:50 PM.
            I have a 1 year old daughter and at this rate I'm almost certain I'm going to end up in prison by the time she's 15 years old. I swear, the first guy that that comes knocking on my door holding onto a naked photo of my daughter.....

Don't bother telling me, "oh it's her fault too".... I know, I have double standards. Deal with it.

Comment

we have also lost a Texas and Wisconsin officer today
              Retired LASD

Comment

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...a43_story.html

An ex-con set a car and a house ablaze in his lakeside neighborhood to lure firefighters, then opened fire on them, killing two, engaging in a shootout with police and committing suicide while several homes burned. Authorities used an armored vehicle to evacuate the area.

The gunman fired at the four firefighters when they arrived shortly after 5:30 a.m. at the blaze in Webster, a suburb of Rochester on Lake Ontario, town Police Chief Gerald Pickering said. The first police officer who arrived chased the suspect and exchanged gunfire, authorities said.

Police say he lay in wait outdoors for the firefighters’ arrival, then opened fire probably with a rifle and from atop an earthen berm, Pickering said.

“It does appear it was a trap,” he said.

The gunman, William Spengler, had served more than 17 years in prison for beating his 92-year-old grandmother to death with a hammer in 1980 at the house next to where Monday’s attack happened, Pickering said at afternoon news conference. Spengler, 62, was paroled in 1998 and had led a quiet life since, authorities said. Convicted felons are not allowed to possess weapons.

Two firefighters, one of whom was also a town police lieutenant, died at the scene, and two others were hospitalized. A fifth man who was passing by was also injured. The police officer who exchanged gunfire with Spengler and “in all likelihood saved many lives,” Pickering said.

Seven houses were destroyed, Pickering said, and police have not been able to get inside to determine if there are any more victims. They said Spengler’s 67-year-old sister Cheryl Spengler was unaccounted for. He lived in the house with his sister and mother, Arline, who died in October.

Spengler had originally been charged with second-degree murder in connection with grandmother Rose Spengler’s death. He pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of manslaughter.

The West Webster Fire District learned of the fire early Monday after a report of a car and house on fire on Lake Road, on a narrow peninsula where Irondequoit Bay meets Lake Ontario, Monroe County Sheriff Patrick O’Flynn said.

The fire appeared from a distance as a pulsating ball of flame glowing against the early morning sky, flames licking into treetops and reflecting on the water, with huge bursts of smoke billowing away in a brisk wind.

Two of the firefighters arrived on a fire engine and two in their own vehicles, Pickering said. After Spengler fired, one of the wounded men managed to flee, but the other three couldn’t because of flying gunfire.

A police armored vehicle was used to recover two of the men, and eventually it evacuated 33 people from nearby homes, the police chief said. The gunfire initially kept firefighters from battling the blazes.

“These people get up in the middle of the night to go put out fires; they don’t expect to be shot and killed,” Pickering said.

The dead men were identified as Police Lt. Michael Chiapperini, 43, the Webster Police Department’s public information officer; and Tomasz Kaczowka, also a 911 dispatcher, whose age was not released.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

RIP and may the peace of God that surpasses all understanding be with the families.

On a sidenote, I'm sure glad to see that not allowing felons to have guns stops them from having guns. If it didn't people might be dead. Oh wait...
                  He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
                  shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
                  - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Guy beats his grandmother to death and only does 17 years? Hope that judge is proud of his/her work...

Comment

Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
                      Guy beats his grandmother to death and only does 17 years? Hope that judge is proud of his/her work...
                      He did it for her own safety -

In 1980, he had initially told family members that he’d found his grandmother’s body at the bottom of the basement stairs in her house, but an autopsy revealed she’d been beaten to death. In later statements to police, Spengler admitted he’d hit his legally blind grandmother several times with the handle of a hammer during a violent argument over her going into the basement, where he’d warned her not to go for her own safety.
                      Source

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Originally posted by bsd13 View Post
                        On a sidenote, I'm sure glad to see that not allowing felons to have guns stops them from having guns. If it didn't people might be dead. Oh wait...
                        Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
                        Okay, as long as I'm not the only one who thinks much fewer of the circumstances of this tragedy could have occurred if William Spengler had died in prison.

I hope Spengler finds that the fire he started just before he died is a match-flicker compared to where his next life should be.

Edit: This post needs the signature line.
                        Last edited by RR_Security; 12-24-2012, 04:29 PM. Reason: Tagline needed saying
                        --
                        Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

The shooter who ambushed and killed two upstate New York firefighters Monday left a note behind indicating his intentions, police said Tuesday.

"I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighborhood I can burn down and do what I like doing best - killing people," the 3-page typewritten note said.
                          http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/25...ing/?hpt=hp_c1

Comment

well good thing our gun laws prevented him from owning a weapon.
                            "Judge's comment's for precedent are Blue by Day White by Knight. Common battery signals are as follows chuck, kluck, pencil, eraser and ink. The most common signal is Tinkerbell." - gabrielnzion's crazy ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Ramrod711 View Post
                              well good thing our gun laws prevented him from owning a weapon.
                              For real!

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4517 users online. 317 members and 4200 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X