Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cellsphone numbers going to Telemarketers....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellsphone numbers going to Telemarketers....

REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.
    REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.
    It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years.
    You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON. It takes about 20 seconds.
    Please forward to family and friends.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions.

My phone contract doesn't charge for incomming calls

Comment

I don't have a cell phone but I'm getting 25-30 calls a week for the past 3 months.
      Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
        REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.
        REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.
        It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years.
        You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON. It takes about 20 seconds.
        Please forward to family and friends.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
        I think you should check out your stories before you post them as fact............

Peruse this: Cellphones and Telemarketers
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
          I don't have a cell phone but I'm getting 25-30 calls a week for the past 3 months.
          Go to this site and register your cell phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
            I think you should check out your stories before you post them as fact............
            Ditto; if SgtCHP hadn't posted the link to Snopes (Urban Legends Reference Pages), I would have. Any multi-generation forwarded email* should probably get run through Snopes, especially if it's full of ALL CAPS, or has three or more exclamation points in any sentence, or uses the phrase "SEND THIS TO EVERYONE YOU CARE ABOUT!!!!"
            If your own BS Detector is out of calibration, Snopes is a good substitute.

*"They" sent it to "them" who sent it to him/her who sent it to you, generally without removing the eight million other addresses who also got (and probably forwarded) a copy. A pox on them all, especially the butthead who first wrote it.
            --
            Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

And I would add that it is better to post a link to a legitimate video or article (if possible) and ask questions, rather than to post something that sounds alarmist.
              It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

@SgtCHP i take it one of your officers didn't meet their quto today. Sorry didn't have time to check it a guy from work sent out the email and was passing it on
                I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions.

Comment

@SgtCHP i take it one of your officers didn't meet their quto today. Sorry didn't have time to check it a guy from work sent out the email and was passing it on
                  You are wrong to presume your first statement! A little time taken to review MY bio would disclose to you that I am retired! If you are unwilling to check out a rumor before you post it, then the simple fact is: DON'T POST IT!.

If you are offended at having made an error, don't try to sluff of your guilt on the postings of others. You seem to be digging that hole deeper! Besides, you have been around these forums for a long time and should know those others who have also been here.

BTW, have a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Deputy! Be safe and watch your six!
                  Last edited by SgtCHP; 11-22-2012, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                    Go to this site and register your cell phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry
                    I have done that for my landline phone number but it hasn't done any good... Don't own a cell phone. I read a article a few weeks ago and it indicated that about 70% of the companies were not checking the do not call registry.
                    Last edited by Retired96; 11-22-2012, 08:52 AM.
                    Retired LASD

Comment

The gullibility virus strikes again.
                      The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                        I have done that for my landline phone number but it hasn't done any good... Don't own a cell phone. I read a article a few weeks ago and it indicated that about 70% of the companies were not checking the do not call registry.
                        It's worked for my landline within the lettering of the law. The problem is that polling companies & political campaigns (self interest, anyone?) are exempted from the law. I'd like to see that part fixed.
                        Stupidity should be a felony so that they lose the right to vote.

Comment

I still get those telemarketer calls on my house phone all the damn time...that do not call list doesn't work

Comment

Yes, there are a bunch of companies that don't check the do not call registry.

There is one company, I forget the name because it doesn't matter to me any more, but it's a New Jersey company.

You get a call that says "This is Sandy from your account services. Nothing is wrong with your credit account, but we can help you with blah blah blah, if you press 1"

If you press 1, you get some asshat who tries to sell you some garbage debt reduction stuff. It's essentially a phish for your information.

What really sucks about it is this. If you attempt to get them to identify their company, they just hang up on you. If you try to track their call, they're using one of those caller ID spoof devices, none of their numbers are real.

This company just refuses to give you real information and hangs up on you if you try to get them to stop.

Somehow they got my cell number a couple years ago and I got calls from them every week for years.

Comment

Here's a link to a forum talking about them.

It's "Card Member Services" that they always use.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/7206486004

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4838 users online. 138 members and 4700 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X