300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reader Comments On Officer Involved Shooting

Yesterday a CHP Officer shot and killed a suspect who attacked her. An article covering the incident appeared in the local paper. As of late when this happens it seems like a** hats come out of the woodwork and post comments like why didn't the officer shoot him in the leg, or hit him with the baton, or the officer should be prosecuted for murder. Not in this paper. Not only was every reader comment supportive, but they ripped the bad guy a new one. Highly unusual for California and for the public opinion.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...-traffic-stop-
    Last edited by L-1; 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

While purely my constructive opinion, it seems to me that a growing segment of the population is coming to appreciate the uptick in violent crime and the unfortunate consequence of violent encounters with the police.

It is disheartening to see the untrained and often unknowing populous post maligning comments about an officer and case they know nothing about aside from what they read, but they have that right, however misguided their comments are.

Granted, a great many people still cling to the mistaken belief that the police can or should be trying some outlandish and quite frankly improbable shooting techniques in which the offending weapon is shot out of the hands of a bad-guy. And yes, some folks in public service believe this too. But I also believe that from whatever venue it is coming from, folks are starting to see that the likely outcome of an officer involved shooting can be the death of a perpetrator.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I am absolutely shocked by the comments posted on that page. Not because I disagree with them, mind you, but I've never seen an OIS article by a news source come out with not a single naysayer on the comments section.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
        It is disheartening to see the untrained and often unknowing populous post maligning comments about an officer and case they know nothing about aside from what they read, but they have that right, however misguided their comments are.
        Actually, the untrained and unknowing post comments on just about every subject. It has always been thus. As Oscar Wilde, who died in 1900, observed,"There is much to be said in favor of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community. By carefully chronicling the current events of contemporary life, it shows us of what very little importance such events really are. By invariably discussing the unnecessary, it makes us understand what things are requisite for culture, and what are not."
        Last edited by Seventy2002; 10-26-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I rarely if ever read the readers comments on a news article.

Good, bad or indifferent I just don't see the reasoning behind reading that crap
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It's refreshing once in awhile to see the public back the Officer. I've often said that few professions, if any, have the number of experts that ours has. The fact that these "experts" are for the most part totally unqualified, ignorant, and often just plain stupid, doesn't prevent them from regaling us with their perfect world suggestions on how to do our job.

Yes, it is nice for a change to see folks actually appreciate the very proper actions of the Officer in this instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannady View Post
              I am absolutely shocked by the comments posted on that page. Not because I disagree with them, mind you, but I've never seen an OIS article by a news source come out with not a single naysayer on the comments section.

Give Ann Curry a little time. She'll put down her Chablis, fly out to California with a crew and ,do some mugging for the camera. She'll fall all over herself making the now deceased subject out to be yet one more misunderstood, unfortunate who was just getting his life back together.

Comment

It won't let me copy and paste (maybe an iPad thing), but I have to quote this idiot:

Like all state workers, CHP is over-compensated, over-pensioned, over-equipped, over-trained, and over-represented in the disability pool.
                Such a shining supporter.

Good job, Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gear Monkey View Post
                  It won't let me copy and paste (maybe an iPad thing), but I have to quote this idiot:

Such a shining supporter.

Good job, Officer.

Yep. Sorta proves my point. But then, the support IS refreshing.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    It's refreshing once in awhile to see the public back the Officer. I've often said that few professions, if any, have the number of experts that ours has. The fact that these "experts" are for the most part totally unqualified, ignorant, and often just plain stupid, doesn't prevent them from regaling us with their perfect world suggestions on how to do our job.

Yes, it is nice for a change to see folks actually appreciate the very proper actions of the Officer in this instance.
                    I agree with you Philip, At same time Commercial Drivers would like a word with you on "experts" in a profession!
                    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

Anyone think it has a little to do with the officer in question being female?

Comment

My gut tells me its a conservative paper editing out negative reader comments before they let can be posted.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          I rarely if ever read the readers comments on a news article.

Good, bad or indifferent I just don't see the reasoning behind reading that crap
                          I read the comments just to be entertained by the majority of the people commenting who are pure idiots.
                          My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Was the dude eating Skittles? Just askin .....
                            The All New
                            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                              Was the dude eating Skittles? Just askin .....

Well, if he wasn't, damn, that could change the whole thing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5153 users online. 283 members and 4870 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X