300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Found Guilty in CA Road Rage Dog Death

I am neither an animal lover or hater, but it sickens me to see that the people I am sworn to protect, and put my life on the line for, return verdicts more severe for animal abuse than for violent crimes against the people. When I was assaulted on duty, the DA didn't want to issue a warrant ... and when he finally did, and the guy was picked up, his sentence? 3 years probation. Anyway, welcome to California, and more specifically, the Bay Area ...

Man Found Guilty in California Road Rage Dog Death
    June 19, 2001 2:10 pm EST

SAN JOSE, Calif. (Reuters) - A jury on Tuesday returned a guilty verdict against a former telephone repair man accused of throwing a lap dog to its death in traffic in a bizarre explosion of road rage.
    Andrew Burnett, 27, faces a maximum of three years in prison for his conviction on a charge of felony animal cruelty.

The Santa Clara Superior Court jury deliberated for just 40 minutes before finding Burnett guilty in a that incensed animal lovers around the world and spurred more than $120,000 in donations to a reward fund for information on the dog's killer. Burnett's lawyer began his defense by admitting his client had grabbed the fluffy white bichon frise named Leo from its owner's car after a minor fender-bender outside San Jose International Airport in February 2000.

But he said his client tossed the dog into traffic in a reflex action after the small dog bit his hand.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

I think it has something to do with the helplessness factor, luv. I don't think it's wrong to punish these people severely--it's loathesome behaviour, indicative of a seriously disturbed mind. And, it's easier to prosecute and secure a harsh penalty in cases like the one you mentioned (witnesses, facts are clear, etc.).

When I was the victim of a felony sexual assualt, even with a very kind and supportive D.A., that ba$tard managed to get himself a sweetheart deal with the help of a good attorney. He even waited to accept the plea bargain until I showed up to testify against him... I think it's sad, but that's life in the prosecution business I guess--it's all about playing the odds.

Comment

First off I will admit my bias on this subject, I am an animal lover thru and thru, if it is fury and domesticated chance are I will probably want to adopt one eventually.

H8Criminals I see your point, it is screwed up when a guy gets more time for killing a dog than a guy gets for hitting a cop, with that being said, this is how I feel. The guy who hits a cop should be getting a long term vacation courtesy of the state. The guy who kills the helpless dog should also be getting a long term holiday. To me they are both serious offences, the assault charge obviously being more severe and deserving more prison time, but the animal cruelty charge is also serious and deserves a prison sentence.

------------------
      [email protected]

Comment

Well, of course, a penalty over the assault and death of an animal should never take precedence ove that of a human.
        Speaking as an animal lover, I can only say if someone did that to my dog, I'd probably have serious psychological problems the rest of my life. It was as much an assault on his owner as it was to her. I have a female Yorkie that was given to me at a time I was really going down the tubes. My son was so sick and nothing anyone said or did helped me to heal or stop being afraid.
        I cried all the time, except in front of my son. My husband was going through his own personal hell with it and neither of us could help each other.
        Then, a friend gave me the most precious Yorkie in the world. She was being abused and needed me as much as I needed her. I love her to death and there have been many times, when my son gets sick or has seizures, I just hold her afterwards, sometimes crying but mainly as a security blanket. And it's like she knows. She cuddles with me, licks my face and is like a little teddy bear.
        I know this all sounds stupid and never would I say a dog is more important then a human. My heart just went out to this woman who lost her dog. He probably meant more to her then most people realize.

Comment

Hmmm,
          I don't know... I like most animals more than I like most people, actually. Animals are, generally speaking, more honest--for starters--and that goes an awfully long way in my book.

Comment

It's that liberal state you live in! If that guy would have cut down a tree he probably would have got 20 years. Of course I'm kidding but that is the mentality of states like New York and California. Save the trees, protect the butterflies, but screw the police. I happen to be an animal lover too by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by MSPintern:
              Save the trees, protect the butterflies, but screw the police.
              hmmmmm... lmao

(PS. can i use that for a sig line??)
              "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily:
                Hmmm,
                I don't know... I like most animals more than I like most people, actually. Animals are, generally speaking, more honest--for starters--and that goes an awfully long way in my book.
                there..i fell better. i agree, and i agree with Mitzi's post. i also think the sentence shouldnt be any harsher, obviously. but i do agree he has a disturbed mind and maybe everyone will be protected now from him for a bit, before he hurts a human.

[This message has been edited by jellybean40 (edited 06-20-2001).]
                "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

H8,

I sure understand where you are coming from here. It just doesn't make sense.

Now to be perfectly honest about it, I would really like to get "up close and personal" with ANYONE who abuses animals. (Yeah, even cats.) I think the punishment should be extremely swift and painful. In other words, you see somebody abuse an animal, you should be able to physically hurt them. Badly.

------------------
                  I used to have an open mind - but my brains kept falling out.

6P1 (retired)
                  6P1 (retired)

Comment

Don, you are right about people who abuse animals, they need to feel real pain. As for the abuse of a police officer, I cannot say here what the punishment should be! This is about a man who got close enough to grab the dog out of her lap? I missed the story, just heard about it. Living in Calif. there is no way the man would have gotten that close to me. So, I am telling PO's here that I am "illegal" when in my own car, you bet. The guy should be glad it was not my dog. Thanks for letting me get this out. Rose
                    Rose

Comment

I have a neighbor that thinks you have to creat fear in a dog. His need to control and dominate is ridiculous.
                      I once saw a dog at the SPCA that had been a junkyard dog. It was her and her half-grown puppy. They had been SO abused that I know, had I gotten near her, she would have killed me. She would look at me at out of the side of her eyes and the puppy was the same. They were going to be put down because they just weren't safe to adopt out.
                      What is the matter with people?

Comment

sorry, double posted

[This message has been edited by ftrphxcop (edited 06-23-2001).]

Comment

I find this man to be a pathetic excuse for a human. I am also dumbfounded that these people managed to raise $120,000 for a reward when a baby was kidnapped from a local swapmart here and all they could raise for a reward was $10,000. This is a human life. If they ever find the baby i sure do not want to be the person to tell her upon growing up that her life was only worth $10,000.

I also think that when someone hurts or kills an animal, they should be done the exact same way.

Comment

I would think more importantly would be the question of why any reward would need to be offered to have people give what information they have. Unfortunately in this society too often everything has a price tag, even doing the right thing.
                            "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program" ~George W. Bush, November 2, 2000

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5589 users online. 354 members and 5235 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X