Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inmate Saves Corrections Officer's Life

http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/...jKXd22maA.cspx

LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3) -- A corrections officer inside the county jail suffered an apparent heart attack and almost died.

He was surrounded by convicted criminals and he survived thanks to the efforts of an unlikely hero. News 3's Reed Cowan has the story.

Sergio Leyva's mug shot taken before being locked away in the clark county detention center.

He's behind bars for good reason--seen by the law as a criminal...a criminal watched over by an officer in the middle of a full blown heart attack.

"He was in true medical compromise," said Metro police officer Bill Cassell adding that is when something miraculous occurred.

Inmates--criminals---jumping to action to save their jailer and Leyva taking the lead.

"Not breathing...no heart beat," Leyfy said. "I did CPR on him brought him back to life."

Leyva, the condemned, and Cassell, the cop, are both telling the same story about a group effort to save a life.
    The video has more content than the written article, but this is a cool story. The officer isn't out of the woods yet, but it's still a cool story. It shows why I am firm, but always respectful to everyone I deal with - one day they might be the ones saving my ***.

I am willing to bet this guy treated all inmates with a basic amount of respect. I know a few C/O's that I would have a hard time helping because of all the times that they have put my *** in danger.

Comment

Agreed KBJ, when I went through jail ops and learned what happen at Attica State Prison. I said that I would rather be the guy stripped down to my undies in the shower then getting beat tortured and killed. Thats all it takes is a little amount of respect and it will go a long way. For the most part criminals know that we are just doing a job but it depends on how you do it.
      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Had a similar thing happen here.Two jerks threw bleach into the face of the head jailer(late 60s in age)and knocked the doo doo out of him to try and escape when he was doing pill call.A couple of trustees saw it go down and well the 2 fine fellows took a trip to the hospital,and the trustees didnt need to buy cigs for about 2 months.
        Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
          Had a similar thing happen here.Two jerks threw bleach into the face of the head jailer(late 60s in age)and knocked the doo doo out of him to try and escape when he was doing pill call.A couple of trustees saw it go down and well the 2 fine fellows took a trip to the hospital,and the trustees didnt need to buy cigs for about 2 months.
          The sad thing about the incident I posted is that the inmate who saved the officer ended up having to be moved because he was getting threatened by other inmates for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Koala45 View Post
            The sad thing about the incident I posted is that the inmate who saved the officer ended up having to be moved because he was getting threatened by other inmates for it.
            That surprises me in a way but I understand why .

The news article (one of the most poorly written POS I have ever read) and the actions of the inmate doesn't really surprise me. Most jail inmates and many prison inmates really are not that "hard core"

If you read my tag line.............(it is absolutely true) you might understand where I come from. The vast majority of inmates are "real people" who have made bad choices, much like the inmate in the video stated. YES there are the real bad people, but they are the minority.

As far as being moved.............probably just because of the publicity. but like mavriktu stated.......he won't buy cigs for a long time.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I recall a incident years ago in the LA County Jail officers dining room... One of the civilian employees began choking on his food. At the time there were about 5 jail nurses also eating... They all sat on their useless butts and its was a inmate trusty waiter that came to the mans aid and did the hemlich method to assist the choking man....

The Dept. showed its appreciation to the inmate by releasing him about a month early from his sentence..
              Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                That surprises me in a way but I understand why .

The news article (one of the most poorly written POS I have ever read) and the actions of the inmate doesn't really surprise me. Most jail inmates and many prison inmates really are not that "hard core"

If you read my tag line.............(it is absolutely true) you might understand where I come from. The vast majority of inmates are "real people" who have made bad choices, much like the inmate in the video stated. YES there are the real bad people, but they are the minority.

As far as being moved.............probably just because of the publicity. but like mavriktu stated.......he won't buy cigs for a long time.

That's so true, Iowa. The vast majority of inmates are compliant and just want to "do their time". When you give respect--you get respect. They [inmates] respect age and know you have a job to perform when running a housing unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                  I recall a incident years ago in the LA County Jail officers dining room... One of the civilian employees began choking on his food. At the time there were about 5 jail nurses also eating... They all sat on their useless butts and its was a inmate trusty waiter that came to the mans aid and did the hemlich method to assist the choking man....

The Dept. showed its appreciation to the inmate by releasing him about a month early from his sentence..
                  Retired you mean the nurses have not changed since you retired??? Must be in their job description becasue they have not changed a bit. They are always sending inmates out 902R for minor lacertaion that would take some anit-biotic and and bandad to fix. Its a long understanding if and dep or ca needs help just call 902R and tell the nurses to stand down.
                  I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

I would just echo the above comments and say the guy probably has a reputation for being fair and treating people with respect.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                      Retired you mean the nurses have not changed since you retired??? Must be in their job description becasue they have not changed a bit. They are always sending inmates out 902R for minor lacertaion that would take some anit-biotic and and bandad to fix. Its a long understanding if and dep or ca needs help just call 902R and tell the nurses to stand down.
                      Ours are the opposite. Someone will get a major cut and they'll say "here's a band aid and some advil." Sometimes out COs have to step in and make them call their doctor or send someone to the hospital.

Comment

Follow CO's I work with have a pseudo pact. If we get hurt at work then have the nurses "Evaluate and transport". I have seen nursing do some scary ****. I have seen a nurse hook up an AED to a conscious seizure victim. Seen another nurse choose to empty an inmate's Foley bag while the other nurses are performing CPR on him. That is just the tip of the last 10 years.

Comment

This story reminds me of another one a few years back where a prisoner savagely beat and darn near killed a jail deputy -- but was restrained by other prisoners who held the attacker down untl help arrived. It was all caught on video, too.

The "hero prisoners" told authorities that the deputy was one who treated the men with respect, was fair-minded and did his job to the best of his ability - and he was never 'mean or abusive' towards prisoners when he was working. (I would hope the parole board might look favorably upon those men for saving that deputy's bacon.)

Not every man incarcerated is a hard-core thug. We have a lot of people in jail for "victimless" crimes in this country, as well as plenty of non-violent (i.e., white collar criminals) felons who will cheat someone out of a million dollars but would never lift a finger to harm someone else physically.

Respect will usually beget respect, even when dealing with some folks who might not always be - um - respectful.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5216 users online. 256 members and 4960 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X