300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter to the Chief

This morning I volunteered to do a back to school shopping engagement. When I signed up I didn't see any mention of this being a "Shop with Cops" event but, it turns out, it was.

I've never volunteered for any of these events before so I wasn't sure what to expect, or what was expected of the volunteers. I had a great time and met one of the sweetest little girls ever. So smart! And, it turns out, she volunteers herself, at the soup kitchen she eats some of her meals at. High five to her for giving back, at 7 years old, even in her own time of need.

Anyway, on to my story.....

I was standing outside of the fitting rooms waiting for my shopper to get done trying on her new jeans and this little guy, about 5 or 6 years old, comes tearing by followed closely by a cop. The cop asks the employee where a mirror is so they can check out the new shirt and tie little guy is wearing. Little guy looks pretty studly and the cop announces that little guy's mom has a special day coming up and he needs to look his best. We all agreed that would be the perfect attire for the day.

At the end of the shopping we all met back up for the parents to pick up their kids. I was standing with my shopper and all of a sudden that little guy comes running in and hands his mom a rose. A few seconds later the cop comes in and tells mom that he heard she has a special event coming up and that her little guy wanted to give her the rose and little guy also has a present for her to wear to her special event. Little guy hands mom a box that had a necklace and earring set.

I teared up.

This man went above and beyond and though I'm sure he doesn't care if his Chief hears about it, I HAVE to write a letter.

Unfortunately, I've never written a letter to a Chief and have no idea what to say - short and sweet, or give details? Anything I shouldn't say?

How about simply writing from the heart? This needs to be your letter, not ours. Might take a draft or two, but you'll get it. Get started, you'll do fine.

Comment

First of all, these "shop-with-a-cop" events are terrific. We have them up where I live, and the officers take the kids Christmas shopping. It really is a great event, and the public gets in on it too.

I sent an e-mail to the Chief once commending an officer. He never replied back (he has answered some of my questions before) but that might have been because I got the name of the officer wrong.

Anyways, I think it would be awesome of you to write a letter to the chief commending the officer. I've been told many agencies keep these letters in the officer's personal file, and when you get so many false complaints and allegations against you, it's nice to get a good letter once in a while.

I found some letters complementing officers below. These are actual letters posted on the official website of the law enforcement agency. They should serve as a pretty good guide:

http://www.columbiatn.com/pdweb/letters.html

http://www.lincolncountysheriff.net/letters/

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Comment

Just say pretty much what you said here.

Comment

Write it from your heart.... That type of letter means a lot .... To the Officer ....

Admittedly most cops don't work for praise from the public, but when we get it, it sure feels good....

Thanks for noticing..
          Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
          drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks!

I appreciate the comments. I wasn't smart enough to look at his name tag while I was there and had to email the PD to find out who it was. Luckily for me, I had overheard a bit of personal information about him when he was talking to a friend of mine and was able to determine later who it was. Just to make sure, I sent the officer a message through facebook and confirmed I have the right guy.

I am pretty sure I have the main point of my letter down, I just wanted to find out if a lengthy, pull at your heartstrings letter was too much, or if a short and sweet "just the facts ma'am" letter would be more appropriate.

I am leaning toward the pull at your heart strings version since that more accurately conveys what the situation meant to me, and hopefully the little guy and his mom.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop203 View Post
              Just say pretty much what you said here.
              +1
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Just write what you posted here - and it should do the trick. It is seldom that any of us get recognized for doing something "above and beyond" or the 'right' way; but we all know that we definitely get recognized when we make a boo boo or rub someone the wrong way.

The officer deserves an 'atta boy' once in while, and your letter might accomplish just that.

I have written two brief letters to commend the actions of a particular deputy -- once long before I was a deputy sheriff and one long after I left the profession. Both times (two different counties), I received a very nice typewritten "snail mail" letter from the sheriff a few weeks later.

I am sure that kind of stuff goes into an officer's personnel file and might just help save his arse from a write-up or reprimand if he/she makes an honest mistake somewhere down the line. I know that is not why you write a letter, but doing something to give a 'good guy' the benefit of the doubt never hurts!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I've written letters about officers before; I make a point to about any employee that does an exceptional job or goes out of his or her way to help me or someone else. But all the more so for the truly thankless jobs, in the hopes of offsetting the often unfair bad crap people complain about.

Our now-retired chief once accused me of only praising the cop because she didn't write me up, but when I demanded my letter back, he said no effing way and threatened to throw me under the jail. (we liked to pick on each other a lot; I'm not LEO but our jobs meant our paths crossed frequently).
                  "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
                  ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5379 users online. 386 members and 4993 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X