Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo is over a year old. What's the significance?

Comment

P.S. I believe the color is "Blue Metallic".
      Last edited by Ignite; 08-05-2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Who cares about the car. What is the old guy doing putting those 30 mm shells in the plastic box for?

"Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
          Who cares about the car. What is the old guy doing putting those 30 mm shells in the plastic box for?

Looks like shovel in his hand. It also looks like they're stealing rocks.

Comment

Just trying to raise the excitement level a bit...
            "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Now I that I received some info on the car, we can descend into funniest-reply territory, and as usual, y'all are working hard at that. (The ones I "Liked" above.)
              (No 30 mm shells, but I like the way you think, FNA209.)

Originally posted by JustAJ View Post
              Looks like shovel in his hand. It also looks like they're stealing rocks.
              "No more calls, please, we have a winner." But those aren't just any old rocks.

"That's all I have to say about that."
              --
              Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
                P.S. I believe the color is "Blue Metallic".
                That works, too. Thanks.
                --

Comment

Are you guys using game cameras?

Comment

Yeah. There are others out there that aren't game/trail cams and are probably better, like the Tripwire Systems stuff from Australia, but those are outta my price range.
                    A department in California bagged a serial rapist/murderer with one of those back in 2007.

Now I have three of the "MMS" cams that will send the pics to a cell phone and/or email. Those are pretty cool, but they only work on AT&T or T-Mobile, and neither company has really good coverage in a lot of places around here.
                    Even for the non-cellular cams, it's great to have pics when somebody starts doing the "it wasn't me, I was somewhere else" routine, also known as the "SODDI defense."
                    --

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
                      Just trying to raise the excitement level a bit...
                      I wonder how many people went back to the pic and stared hard at it going "Really?" I know I did...

Originally posted by RR_Security View Post
                      "No more calls, please, we have a winner." But those aren't just any old rocks.
                      Well, they're too big to be crack, even by Detroit standards. Probably going to use the wrong term, but it looks like the underlayment / bed for the RR tracks. I'd imagine if you removed enough it would be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAJ View Post
                        I wonder how many people went back to the pic and stared hard at it going "Really?" I know I did...

Well, they're too big to be crack, even by Detroit standards. Probably going to use the wrong term, but it looks like the underlayment / bed for the RR tracks. I'd imagine if you removed enough it would be a problem.
                        Maybe it is uranium ore :-). Pitchblende ?

I think the proper term for the crushed stone they use in rail beds is "ballast" ?

Bill
                        Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Hmm; if this is about "smoking some rock," somebody might be a little fuzzy on the concept. Then again, "if the 'say no to crack' sign reminds you to pull up your jeans... "

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                          I think the proper term for the crushed stone they use in rail beds is "ballast" ?
                          You are correct. AJ figured it out, too.

If I ever ID them, I'm sure their excuse will be "Oh, the railroad has miles of that stuff." Yeah, well, it's there for a reason; it ain't yours; and as the "NO TRESPASSING" stencil on the rail right by where you're standing says, "you ain't supposed to be here."
                          --

Comment

Originally posted by RR_Security View Post
                            Hmm; if this is about "smoking some rock," somebody might be a little fuzzy on the concept. Then again, "if the 'say no to crack' sign reminds you to pull up your jeans... "

You are correct. AJ figured it out, too.

If I ever ID them, I'm sure their excuse will be "Oh, the railroad has miles of that stuff." Yeah, well, it's there for a reason; it ain't yours; and as the "NO TRESPASSING" stencil on the rail right by where you're standing says, "you ain't supposed to be here."
                            I was always taught the RR security guys would drag their testicles 3 miles over broken glass to catch and charge people who stole ANYTHING. Is the ballast different according to where the railbed is ?? here it is a dark grey type of stone that is unlike anything I have seen locally.

I drive everyday right by where the US Rail speed record was set, nifty to see the state line concrete thing in the old movies, it is still there today at the OH/IN state line.

When we were kids in the 1970's they really enforced security, would chase you off the tracks, then it got lax for a long long time, now I hear it has been stepped up. We used to cross the tracks out in the "boonies" sort of near an automatic switch, makes me shudder now thinking about somebody getting pinned in it when it moved.

I also knew a guy who worked on the RR doing something or other, and he had lost a few vehicle windshields parked along the tracks, crap flies off trains all the time.

This is the craziest thing I ever saw that flew off a train.
                            http://weathercontrolpanel.webs.com/.../WILLIAMS2.jpg

I was delayed at work t 10pm chatting with the guy on the next shift, so left work about 10 minutes late, when I got to Edgerton, OH the place was a MESS, I thought a Tornado had hit, it was a Microburst, but this container was laying right next to where I drive by, the straight line winds wind BLEW it off the train...we thought it was from a semi trailer at first. I saw the fire dept guys uptown and asked them "did you know there is a semi upside down next to the RR tracks ?"...they said "NOOOOO we didn't" so I showed them where it was then we discovered it came from a train. if I had left work at the normal time I might have been right there when it hit. It is kind of spooky, it takes me JUST about 10 minutes to get from work to there.

here is some other damage from the same event
                            http://weathercontrolpanel.webs.com/.../WILLIAMS1.jpg

http://weathercontrolpanel.webs.com/.../WILLIAMS3.jpg

it also blew down this stone statue
                            http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_i01g5CoM50...0/IMG_0035.JPG

Bill
                            Last edited by willbird; 08-07-2012, 11:17 AM.
                            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                              I was always taught the RR security guys would drag their testicles 3 miles over broken glass to catch and charge people who stole ANYTHING.
                              I've been called obsessive, but I don't get paid that much.

None of the freight my company hauls is very attractive to thieves. Some other railroads have problems with cargo theft, but we don't. We don't carry any of the electronics and designer jeans the "Conrail Boyz" went after in NJ. Other roads have had people shoot at trains, but I don't think we've had any of that. (Knock on wood.)

Besides all the "ordinary trespassers" who put themselves and anyone on the train at risk (a train can derail during emergency braking), we get vandalism, just not in big-city proportions. Theft of steel track materials and copper wire is also a problem.
                              A few years ago, the theft of all the signal cable for new lights and gates at some crossings on our line delayed the installation of the automatic devices. That didn't endear the railroad to the city government.

The spikes and tie plates some people have stolen tend to cost more than twice as much to replace as what the thieves get for "scrap value."
                              It used to be they'd swipe anything not nailed (spiked) down, but now they're out there with oxy-fuel torches and such. In 2007, somebody swiped a switch stand (big thing that moves the "points" of a track switch to change its direction) from the yard in Concord, NH. In 2009, a couple of ***hats were arrested for cutting up rail on a siding in West Baldwin, ME. Train crews hate it when they come coasting along and find the track isn't there anymore.

Is the ballast different according to where the railbed is ?? here it is a dark grey type of stone that is unlike anything I have seen locally.
                              Usually it's according to the source. In steam days, they might have used cinders for yard (low speed) tracks, but now I think it all has to average a certain size. There's a quarry along this line where ours comes from. I dunno if they specify the pretty white stuff because of the tourist trains.

I drive everyday right by where the US Rail speed record was set, nifty to see the state line concrete thing in the old movies, it is still there today at the OH/IN state line.
                              The Flight of the M-497. I forgot that was done out your way. For those who don't know what Bill's referring to, imagine a jet engine on a railroad car.

When we were kids in the 1970's they really enforced security, would chase you off the tracks, then it got lax for a long long time, now I hear it has been stepped up.
                              That's probably partly the Homeland Security thing, but one lone "nutcase without a cause" can do a lot of harm to innocent people.
                              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Pa...ona_derailment>
                              Our line is mostly continuous welded rail, but in a few places there's still jointed or "stick" rail. Last year the track foreman found bolts missing from one joint near a bridge. If they broke and fell off, he should have found the pieces, but there was nothing.
                              Then there are the occasional juvenile delinquents who leave rocks or something on the track. Last year a steel joint bar was placed on the rail, and the morning passenger train ran over it. No derailment or anything, but it damaged the traction motor on the lead axle of the locomotive. They were able to isolate that motor and finish the trip.

I also knew a guy who worked on the RR doing something or other, and he had lost a few vehicle windshields parked along the tracks, crap flies off trains all the time.
                              I used to tell people the area fifteen feet outside a rail is a danger zone. Now I tell 'em it's thirty feet. I saw a freight going through NH one night with a broken piece of steel banding on a lumber load on a flatcar. The crew couldn't see it because it was so far back in the train. It was slapping the ballast and kicking up sparks. If anyone had been too close to the track, that probably would have left a mark on 'em.

The one trespasser fatality in Maine a few years ago was a guy fishing on or near a bridge. As I understand it, when the train came along, he leaned over to move his tackle box away from the track, and a handrail on the locomotive hit him. He was one of over 450 people killed while trespassing that year.
                              --

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5410 users online. 289 members and 5121 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X