Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At least 20 hurt after shooting during 'Dark Knight' screening in Aurora, Colorado

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least 20 hurt after shooting during 'Dark Knight' screening in Aurora, Colorado

Updated at 4:40 a.m. ET: At least 20 people were hurt early Friday following a shooting at a movie theater near Denver, police said.

The incident occurred in Aurora, Colo., during a midnight showing of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises," a police official told NBC News.

Brenda Stuart, of 850 KOA radio, told Britain's Sky News that "a lot of people thought the gunshots were part of the movie."

"They heard what they thought were firecrackers," she added, citing witnesses. "Then they saw the bullets flying."

Eyewitness reports said the assailant may have been wearing a gas mask, Stuart said.
    Advertise | AdChoices

Tear gas went off in the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center following the gunfire, Stuart said. She added that bullets had passed from one theater into an adjoining one.

Police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson said "the scene is still very active."

One suspect was in custody, police said. It was unclear whether other suspects were involved.

Follow @NBCNewsUS

Aurora is a suburb less than 10 miles east of downtown Denver.

Local emergency crews from several cities, including Denver and Boulder, have converged on the scene, Stuart told Sky News.

Nicole Williams, with the Swedish Medical Center of Englewood, Colo., told KUSA-Denver the hospital was alerted to a mass-casualty incident at 1:15 a.m. local time Friday (3:15 a.m. ET).

The injured were being transported to three local hospitals, police told NBC.

Stuart said that police officers were taking victims to hospitals in their cars and not waiting for ambulances.

A bomb squad was on site, police added.
    yeah!

Just saw 14 were killed and 50 injured. Just think- if there would had been an off duty cop or cpl holder in that crowd those numbers would be decreased drastically.
    Last edited by Michigan; 07-20-2012, 04:48 AM.

Comment

I'll be sure to wear a bulletproof vest everytime I go to the movies now :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
        Just saw 14 were killed and 50 injured. Just think- if there would had been an off duty cop or cpl holder in that crowd those numbers would be decreased drastically.
        I feel the same way. Where I live, there are always off duty officers at the theatre that I frequent, cruisers parked in plain sight, on the curb right in front of the main entrance.

Comment

this is sad. i just heard on the news many of the victims were children. God I wonder why these POS's don't nut-up and off themselves (i know, i know they're CS's).

Comment

I try not to wear my gun off-duty 24/7, but crap like this makes me wonder. I went to see Madagascar with my wife and kids a couple of weeks ago. What if it was my theatre? Jesus..
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
              I try not to wear my gun off-duty 24/7, but crap like this makes me wonder. I went to see Madagascar with my wife and kids a couple of weeks ago. What if it was my theatre? Jesus..
              I never leave the house without it. All I have to say to myself is, "will I be able to live with myself if I allow my family or others to be killed just because I was unprepared and unwilling to carry my firearm, as a trained police officer while off duty." We have been given the tools to stop a real threat that could happen any where at any time. I strongly encourage all fellow cops to carry all the time. We have all been given the tools and training to keep the masses safer; don't be a sheep.

The wolf is always on the hunt and never takes a day off. Are you willing to put the safety of yourself and your family at the hope and prayer that the wolf won't cross paths with you today?

Comment

This is nuts. Problem is here a lot of the theaters have a no concealed handgun sign. Then again, what they don't know...
                SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Krell View Post
                  This is nuts. Problem is here a lot of the theaters have a no concealed handgun sign. Then again, what they don't know...
                  An I do what most cc people do an that's ignore the sign. It's concealed for a reason. Only no gun signs I pay attention to are the ones I'm legally suposed to. Add long as you leave if they ask you to they have no legal reprocussion against you for ignoring it.
                  Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Dingbat View Post
                    An I do what most cc people do an that's ignore the sign. It's concealed for a reason. Only no gun signs I pay attention to are the ones I'm legally suposed to. Add long as you leave if they ask you to they have no legal reprocussion against you for ignoring it.
                    Yea but the problem is here we have signs backed up by state law:

SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating “No Concealable Weapons Allowed” shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).
                    SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

"Entertainment Facilities" are listed gun free zones in Michigan.

If they had had that law in place in Colorado, that criminal might have thought twice about doing a shooting there!

Oh wait.

This is why gun-free zones make zero sense. Criminals are going to be criminals anywhere. So unless you're securing a facility like an airport or a courthouse (where EVERYONE gets screened before entry), I don't see any benefit to gun-free zones. It only increases the victim count.

Comment

This is sad and terrible, I just woke up and my wife told me to watch CNN. Horrible, I am at this very moment praying for all the victims of this BS.

But the thing that really makes me sad is how events like this only serve as excuses for idiots. Like with every tragedy, stupid people will try to connect it to one of their core beliefs.

The anti-gun people will go "see, that's why guns need to be banned (ignoring that fact that litterally millions of people across America go to the movies every day without incidentand we have 270 million guns in this country, the VAST majority of which NEVER get used in a crime or to take a life).

Some of the pro-gun people will start complaining too (someone will start talking about "gun free zones" very quickly), and while I'm "2a to my core", some of them (like the anti-gun) won't be able to understand that this incident is truly an isolated one and NO that doesn't mean everyone should start open carrying now.

There are 20,000 movie theatres in the United States, the odds of someone shooting up yours are even lower than the really low odds of someone shooting up a college campus near you (Virginia Tech and other incidents were horrible, but kept in context our colleges and universities are some of the safest actual places on Earth).

When stuff like this happens, I really want to start screaming at people to breathe , calm down and keep it all in context (and pray for the actual victims, this isn't about US, it's about THEM). This was ONE crazy son of a bitch who decided to do soething evil, and a crazy SOB is gonna kill people no matter what, if not with guns, then with a car, a bomb or something sharp and pointy.
                        ~Gun control has always been about punishing the people that didn't shoot anyone.

Comment

And I can see it's already happening lol.

Guys, we don't know that no one in that theater was carrying, there may have been some else with a frearm in there who just never had a chance to employ it against the shooter.

Remember the Gabriel Giffords shooting in AZ, 2 concealed carriers we in the area, they just never had a chance to engage the shooter. For all we know one of the dead or wounded might have been carrying and got shot before they could do anything, although it is also possible no one in there had a gun except the shooter.

This incident, like all such tragedies, is not about your personal political beliefs, it's about a crazy person who wanted to hurt people and did so, period.
                          ~Gun control has always been about punishing the people that didn't shoot anyone.

Comment

Interesting krell we don't have that in florida. The most they can do is ask you leave. As long as you leave there is nothing more they can do.
                            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Dingbat View Post
                              Unfortunately, Colorado law requires CCW permit holders *AND* off-duty cops to follow "no guns allowed" signs posted by businesses. I ignore them all the time, too.
                              MAC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6343 users online. 445 members and 5898 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X