Best Family Friendly Federal Agency?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Family Friendly Federal Agency?

Any agencies that allow you to work at home or offer other perks that would be considered family/agent friendly?

Depends what you mean by federal agent. There are federal agencies such as the FPS, the Pentagon Police, FBI Police and other "static" agencies, however they certainly don't work at home. If you are looking for a stay at home job you need to explore another career field.

Comment

I think the U.S. Census Bureau hired people to make cold calls from their homes. If you're talking about federal law enforcement agencies, I don't personally know of any that involve working from home.

Comment

You want to be a cop, but you want to work from home? You must be one of those that think they are "special." Maybe you should start your own daycare, that way you can be at home all day.
        Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

What kind of agency do you currently work for?

Comment

Not gonna engage in a peeing contest with you but will tell that as a FED your jurisdiction/zone is much more expansive than the rural PDs you work for (and no thats not a wisecrack, I started at a municipality) so its not like your out patrolling.

Simply meant many investigative agencies are doing telework or alternative work schedules to cut down on field office expenses. There is only a handful of thimgs that you do at an office that couldn't be done at a home office.

Comment

Most OIG's work out of there home and I believe. Other perks would be like NRC providing childcare.

Comment

My cousin works federal probation - they seem to have a nice schedule (depending on case load); but I don't think she's allowed to work from home.
                "We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles." -- RSGSRT

Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

There are days where you can do certain things from home, but it depends more on the individual supervisor than the agency (unless there's an agency that has a specific policy barring the practice, altogether). That's just been my experience. It's on a case-by-case basis.

What I have NOT seen are feds who get to utilize the actual gov't-wide programs that non-LE fed employees do, like 'official' telework programs and whatnot. I believe that has more to do with the hours we're required to work than anything else.

I'm unimpressed with a lot of "FED"s I meet (and I meet plenty through HIDTA investigations at my "rural PD") that believe being a "FED", in and of itself, is somehow awe inspiring.
                  You should probably get out and mix with some different agencies and in different areas, then, because in my entire career as a "FED," I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of "FEDs" I've seen with that kind of attitude. That's very Hollywood-esque and is not commonly played out in real life, in my experience, and they're usually going to have that attitude checked by a fellow "FED" before the get out of the gate, anyway.
                  Last edited by GreenLine; 07-15-2012, 08:13 AM.
                  "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Originally posted by SixSigma View Post
                    Not gonna engage in a peeing contest with you but will tell that as a FED your jurisdiction/zone is much more expansive than the rural PDs you work for (and no thats not a wisecrack, I started at a municipality) so its not like your out patrolling.

Simply meant many investigative agencies are doing telework or alternative work schedules to cut down on field office expenses. There is only a handful of thimgs that you do at an office that couldn't be done at a home office.
                    Most "FED"s aren't 1811s, though, or did you want to limit the conversation specifically to investigators?

Comment

I used to work with a guy that got picked up as an investigator with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Although it is an unsworn position, as his job is primarily the investigation of products and complaints filed to determine if there are credible risks posed to the public, he conducts 80% of his work out of his home. He was issued a laptop, cell phone and fax machine so that he could conduct all of his reports and administrative tasks at his house. The only time he leaves is for investigations (obviously) or if he has to meet with a supervisor and/or attend a meeting/hearing.

And he absolutely loves the job, as it gives him the ability to make really decent money and be around his family/kids almost all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLine View Post

You should probably get out and mix with some different agencies and in different areas, then, because in my entire career as a "FED," I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of "FEDs" I've seen with that kind of attitude. That's very Hollywood-esque and is not commonly played out in real life, in my experience, and they're usually going to have that attitude checked by a fellow "FED" before the get out of the gate, anyway.
                        Thank you. I was going to say something about that myself. In fact, a lot of the feds I know came from local/state LE and have respect for the work that they do. I myself was a Deputy Sheriff for 5 years before becoming a fed.

I think the guy who wrote that post watches too many movies and doesn't have much actual experience dealing with us.
                        Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Maybe it's because I work with 1811s much more frequently than you, but I see things differently. My agency frequently works with HSI and DEA, and we occasionally bump into FBI and US Marshals as well. Your description of the "suits and 3/4 length coats with Ray-Bans" doesn't fit a single 1811 I have ever met while working.

I'm not saying that what you say isn't true, what I am saying is that I think you generalizing and trying to paint us with a negative image based on a couple of bad apples isn't the best thing to do here, especially when in the end we are all on the same team.
                          Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

You could try OPM background investigator/ special agent. While they are not criminal investigators, their title is special agent and you will be working from your office, government vehicle or other public places. Flexibility is great too.

Comment

Originally posted by SixSigma View Post
                              Any agencies that allow you to work at home or offer other perks that would be considered family/agent friendly?
                              Actual LE work might not be available, but lots of other fed work is going "work from home".
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecom...ral_government
                              ~Gun control has always been about punishing the people that didn't shoot anyone.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4674 users online. 180 members and 4494 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X