300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire ants CAN swim!

My husband and I pressure washed our house, driveway and sidewalks today. I took my shoes off to wander through a puddle on the sidewalk and YOW! I got bit by so many floating fire ants! I was jumping and yelling and swatting and it really hurt. My husband goes over and stares at the puddle and I asked him what he was doing. He says, "You know,honey some of them are doing the backstroke and some have tiny little surfboards!" LOL! I wanted to smack him!

I hate fire ants too! Yes they do swim and they are a real problem in floods. They do stick together in LARGE groups. I know the mexicans have a word for them and it is translated the ant that makes you jump out of your shoe. I am sure you understand now, I have done it a time or too myself. I did find one thing, they might can swim but they are not fire proof. I know I will get in trouble with some animal rights types but I love to pour on gas and light them. I have no regrets, I am sorry.

[This message has been edited by RT (edited 06-18-2001).]

Comment

I'm with you, RT. Fire ants are nasty little buggers. I can't even get my shoes on tonight because of the bites. Wouldn't bother me to see them extinct one bit. I was just minding my own business and MUNCH! And it hurts a lot!

[This message has been edited by Mitzi (edited 06-18-2001).]

Comment

Fire ants have a right to exist. They are one of Gods creatures. In fact I have led a crusade to get the us postal service to come out with a stamp immortalizing the American fire ant. The only problem with this stamp is that when you lick it, it leaves stinging red welts on your tongue!

Comment

Let's all send our pet fire ants to Mac! lol Mine alone would be about a million of them and they insist on their own yard and pool, Mac! lol

Comment

Viva la Fire Ants!

(this was not posted by Jim Burnes)

Comment

I am sorry these are not American Fireants they come from some god forsaken country. They came in through Mobile Alabama a while ago and have not made it north of the mason dixons line yet. I think it might be payback for slavery in the south or something like that. I hate them! Nothing against the port of Mobile or anything it is the fireants themselves I hate. I think we need to bring back DDT just to get rid of them. Till then I will be on their arses with Amdro. Don't worry Mitzi I will save you!

Comment

Thank you, RT, but do you have that many bullets? lol Fireants really are a scourge. My little 2 year old neighbor was playing ball with her mother today and I was watching and laughing. All of a sudden, she starts screaming, "ANTHS! ANTHS!" I was closest to her and when I got there, the poor little things little feet were just covered with fire ants. We got them off of her and she even had them between her little toes.
                We took her back to our pool and put her feet in the cool water plus put ice on them. Poor Baby! I'm gonna be a bounty hunter on fire ants!

Comment

Mitzi !

I was able to get a close up photo of a fire ant...here tis:http://cwm.gamerforums.com/s/otn/angels/bat_angel.gif

Comment

Comment

Jim, this is not a joking matter, you have never been attack by these monsters. I am into chemical warefare against them, they deserve to die! There are five types of fireants in the U.S. but when you see these Killer Fire Ants you will see what we are talking about. I wish I had my can of gasoline after they attacked that little girl. Sometimes I give them the slow kiling chemicals that they feed to the queen, but after an attack like that, its Katie bar the door and bring the matches!

Comment

I was attacked by fire ants when I was 6 in Florida. It was horrible. When I got older I used to throw lit cigarettes on the mound and let them trt to bite it. Pretty cool to watch hundreds of them try to eat that red hot cherry. It's much better than watching the gas go POOF, which I tried also.

[This message has been edited by MSPintern (edited 06-21-2001).]

Comment

I myself was brutally attacked by them, and the police did nothing!

Comment

Mac, In this age of political correctness I am afraid the police are handcuffed, in cases like this. If I was King things would be different!

Comment

O'siyo RT,

Yes, your right, fire ants are a serious matter. And it is unfortunate that they are here to stay.

I have in fact been stung by them, in Alabama...my wife had a very bad reaction to them also.

They will live where their instincts direct, its up to us to keep them at bay.

Jim Burnes

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4248 users online. 241 members and 4007 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X