Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convicted Arsonist Drops Dead in Court—And Video Shows He Might Have Poisoned Himself

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Convicted Arsonist Drops Dead in Court—And Video Shows He Might Have Poisoned Himself

    Warning: Footage of Defendant beginning to convulse is included and could be considered disturbing.

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/just...soned-himself/

    Stunning. First thing that comes to mind is the security procedures in that court, but I'm not privy to all that information.

    It will be very interesting to see how this man got that substance into the court room, if this was indeed a suicide. And I don't know what kind of jail time he was facing, but it seems a bit off that he would kill himself. It's not like he was going away for life or anything.

    Sad story. This man felt the only way out was to kill himself. He made a series of bad decisions, but it didn't have to end like this.
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

  • #2
    Oh darn.......I'll go shed a tear......
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
      Oh darn.......I'll go shed a tear......
      You do know this man was convicted of burning down his own house, right? He didn't kill anyone and he didn't molest a child.

      He's no saint -- he made bad decisions -- but there's no doubt this IS a sad situation.
      "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jacob2899 View Post
        You do know this man was convicted of burning down his own house, right? He didn't kill anyone and he didn't molest a child.

        He's no saint -- he made bad decisions -- but there's no doubt this IS a sad situation.

        While it's unfortunate for the man's family, you're not going to find many LEOs here with sympathy towards this guy.

        He put himself in that situation when he chose to burn down his house so that he could collect insurance money.
        Last edited by Street_Cop50; 06-29-2012, 03:10 PM.
        Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

        Comment


        • #5
          Isn't it odd you can't burn up your own stuff?
          NRA Life Member

          The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

          Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
            Isn't it odd you can't burn up your own stuff?
            No. Not when you're trying to scam your bank / insurance company.
            Last edited by Street_Cop50; 06-29-2012, 03:36 PM.
            Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

            Comment


            • #7
              He wasn't charged with fraud or attempted fraud, just arson.



              Climbing down a rope from the 2nd floor wearing scuba gear is...well...comical if not odd.
              NRA Life Member

              The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

              Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

              Comment


              • #8
                FYI - In AZ, arson is a Class 2 felony. Only thing higher is a Class 1 which is stuff like lying in wait to murder someone. He was facing serious pen time.
                NRA Life Member

                The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

                Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                  He wasn't charged with fraud or attempted fraud, just arson.
                  I'm aware of that. However, most people don't burn their house down for the fun of it.

                  This man was deeply in debt and couldn't afford to pay the mortgage on his home.

                  "Investigators said Marin deliberately burned down his $3.5 million suburban Phoenix mansion in July 2009 after it failed to sell at a charity auction and he could no longer pay the mortgage."

                  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...CBSNews.com%29

                  He simply got caught before he could make any financial / insurance claims to his bank.
                  Last edited by Street_Cop50; 06-29-2012, 03:37 PM.
                  Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    At the risk of a circular argument, what he possibly could have been doing wasn't the issue. Maybe he didn't even have homeowner's insurance at the time and was frustrated at it all. If he couldn't make the mortgage payments, he may not have been able to pay the insurance either.

                    Again, descending on a rope from a burning building clad in scuba gear, in the Phoenix Metro area, is pretty friggin' weird.

                    And still my point is that it's strange you can't burn your own stuff - whether insured or not. You burn your crap and make a false claim? Okay. Insurance fraud. But charging someone for arson when it's something they own has always seemed odd. Like charging someone with DV - Criminal Damage for breaking their own stuff.
                    NRA Life Member

                    The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

                    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Street_Cop50 View Post
                      While it's unfortunate for the man's family, you're not going to find many LEOs here with sympathy towards this guy.

                      He put himself in that situation when he chose to burn down his house so that he could collect insurance money.
                      True. My point was that it's upsetting that he chose this way out. I don't feel sympathy for him because he burned his house down, I am just saddened that this man chose this way out. Yes, it was his choice, but anytime someone feels so low that they view death as the best option, it is a sad situation. LEO's and the public can agree on that, and that was my point.

                      Now, this man is by no means a victim, and we should feel no pity for him because of the situation he put himself in or the way he decided to end it. It was all his choice. Still, it's a sad situation.
                      "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Street_Cop50 View Post
                        While it's unfortunate for the man's family, you're not going to find many LEOs here with sympathy towards this guy.

                        He put himself in that situation when he chose to burn down his house so that he could collect insurance money.
                        This. His problem, his choice...I'll still sleep tonight.
                        summer - winter - work

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Burning down a suburban home is not the same as burning your ex girlfriend's picture in the fireplace. A burning "mansion" is a significant threat to the public, and requires a great deal of resources to make it safe.

                          Good riddance.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TK5 View Post
                            Burning down a suburban home is not the same as burning your ex girlfriend's picture in the fireplace. A burning "mansion" is a significant threat to the public, and requires a great deal of resources to make it safe...
                            That's a great point.

                            Is this line clearly defined by AZ law, or common sense officer\presecutorial discretion?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jacob2899 View Post
                              True. My point was that it's upsetting that he chose this way out. I don't feel sympathy for him because he burned his house down, I am just saddened that this man chose this way out. Yes, it was his choice, but anytime someone feels so low that they view death as the best option, it is a sad situation. LEO's and the public can agree on that, and that was my point.

                              Now, this man is by no means a victim, and we should feel no pity for him because of the situation he put himself in or the way he decided to end it. It was all his choice. Still, it's a sad situation.
                              Ok? So I'm supposed to shed a tear for someone who commits suicide? Sucks for his family; but oh well....if someone is that serious about taking their own life, there's not much you can do about it. If I shed a tear for every person who was involved in a tragedy (let alone a criminal), I'd have my own lake.
                              Originally posted by RSGSRT
                              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 7737 users online. 234 members and 7503 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X