300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a Good One!

Sheriff in Tennessee bans inter-office marraiges, and will dole out disciplinary actions up to and including dismissal from the SO. Some peoples' kids!

http://living.msn.com/love-relations...e-96f692c3d7e8

Sheriff's have fairly comprehensive authority over their offices and employees. One works "at the pleasure of" the Sheriff. Agree with it or not, I believe he can do it.

Side note: A newly elected sheriff in Virginia placed a ban on any office employee consuming alcoholic beverages at ANY establishment in his county. On or off duty. At ANY time. The local establishments didn't like this very much but they can voice their concerns at the next election.
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

I had to sign a waiver for the new department I will HOPEFULLY be working for that states if I use ANY tobacco product on duty or off duty I can be fired.

If they don't like it, they can leave...sucks, but that's life....
      "We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles." -- RSGSRT

Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
        I had to sign a waiver for the new department I will HOPEFULLY be working for that states if I use ANY tobacco product on duty or off duty I can be fired.

Okay...help me out with this.

I can understand serving at the will of the Sheriff, and I can understand telling you what you can and cannot do on duty, but what I don't understand is how what you do on your own time, in your own home can be regulated? I agree that if you don't like the rules, then get on down the road, but I also think that rules that affect what you do on your own time, (like not using alcohol or tobacco products), are excessive and overly restrictive. Am I wrong here?
        Ski

Comment

Codemanski, I know in the military a person that is working under another (within their chain of command) person can't even date....we call that fraternization.

Comment

Sounds like this sherriff may have been ex-military.

Oh, and I think the rationale beyond "no-fraternization" is very solid. As a civilian I honor the concept (even where there are no rules about it) just because I don't like the impact on unit cohesion of such messes.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post

I somewhat agree with the alcohol thing OUTSIDE THE HOME.If you are clubbing,you are somewhat slower,dont know who/what you will run into,and/or your decision making process.I am a beer drinker and prefer doing it at home in my recliner.My new boss(July 1st),is anti tobacco.I will have to go with the patch I guess,BUT,I disagree with it.No,in the car,in public etc yes,total NO!!!If we smell of it,we can be fired,HULLLLOOOOO go into a few houses with us.Also,I have had VIOLENT customers ,that were calmed down by me giving them one of my smokes.Oh well 2 1/2 years and it will be history.
              Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
                I somewhat agree with the alcohol thing OUTSIDE THE HOME.If you are clubbing,you are somewhat slower,dont know who/what you will run into,and/or your decision making process.I am a beer drinker and prefer doing it at home in my recliner.My new boss(July 1st),is anti tobacco.I will have to go with the patch I guess,BUT,I disagree with it.No,in the car,in public etc yes,total NO!!!If we smell of it,we can be fired,HULLLLOOOOO go into a few houses with us.Also,I have had VIOLENT customers ,that were calmed down by me giving them one of my smokes.Oh well 2 1/2 years and it will be history.
                Actually, the smoking after work thing does surprise me a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by mavriktu View Post
                  MANY companies are getting very "wellness" friendly.
                  The insurance industry is promoting non smoking employment and many agencies are getting on the bandwagon. The company slashes premiums for the employers to a point where they can leverage the company policy. The list of those companies that ban smoking 24/7 is growing

Codemanski-------labor arbitrators have frequently beat back the union mantra of "it's on my own time" in deciding public sector grievances on off work policies.

Try getting drunk and driving (off duty) and see if the policy that states you will be terminated gets overturned.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Originally posted by codemanski View Post
                    Okay...help me out with this.

I can understand serving at the will of the Sheriff, and I can understand telling you what you can and cannot do on duty, but what I don't understand is how what you do on your own time, in your own home can be regulated? I agree that if you don't like the rules, then get on down the road, but I also think that rules that affect what you do on your own time, (like not using alcohol or tobacco products), are excessive and overly restrictive. Am I wrong here?
                    Ski
                    I think Iowa answered it best:

Originally posted by Iowa#1603
                    MANY companies are getting very "wellness" friendly.
                    The insurance industry is promoting non smoking employment and many agencies are getting on the bandwagon. The company slashes premiums for the employers to a point where they can leverage the company policy. The list of those companies that ban smoking 24/7 is growing
                    I'll take paying less insurance premiums (as long as it's passed onto me) over being able to enjoy a nice cigar every now and then. I'll miss them - but, in reality, people only benefit from not using tobacco products.
                    "We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles." -- RSGSRT

Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

If you ask me, it sounds like someone said no to the sheriff and if he can't get some, then he wants to make sure nobody else gets any.
                      Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Another good thing about California. A sheriff cannot make any policy prohibiting marriage or dating by employees. The closet he can do is prohibit a supervisor from supervising someone he is married to, dating or just banging. Hopefully all three are not on the same shift.
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13078 users online. 524 members and 12554 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X