Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK Reserve LEO may lose badge after church's donation..

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK Reserve LEO may lose badge after church's donation..

Forgive me if this has already been posted...

http://www.kltv.com/story/18819915/o...hurch-donation

Originally posted by KLTV, KFOR
    MINCO, OK (KFOR/CNN) - They say no good deed goes unpunished. An Oklahoma volunteer police officer may lose his position on the force over an act of kindness by his neighbors.

Zach Davis is an unpaid Minco, OK police officer, but his position is in jeopardy after his church donated $400 to help him make ends meet after he lost his full time job in April.

According to the oath he took as an officer, accepting the money was illegal.

"If I would have thought that it would have been unlawful, I wouldn't have done it, there's no way," he said. " In law enforcement for four years, you're offered gratuities. I've turned down everything, but, you know, this is my church family. They care. There was no, no expectation of service from me to them. "

Mayor Watson Mitchell says the clause is meant to protect the integrity of the position.

"Well, if you give somebody money, they're not going to give you a ticket, that's simply what it boils down to," he said.

The Minco city council will decide if he can stay on the force.
    sigpic
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Well that's unfortunate.

As an employee of a government agency, I know that I cannot accept free items from potential vendors, etc. according to GSA regulations. But I can't imagine getting canned for, say, fundraising for a missionary trip out of the country, or otherwise. I'm not sure I'd have even considered it.

That said, if it came to losing my *volunteer* job or losing my house, I'd choose losing my volunteer job.

Comment

Lot more to this. It sounds like they have been looking for the first reason to can him. The reason they found is flat out stupid.
      Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

I don't see how it is a gratuity.

Comment

"Church family" is family writ large. Is help from his immediate family prohibited also? Can his wife slip him lunch money occasionally? Major Mayor FAIL in my opinion.
          When you are dead, you don't know you're dead. It is difficult only for the others around you.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Comment

This is not even close to the spirit of the law or letter of the law for that matter. This is a typical case of a small village pulling their crap. They get local yahoos to run and once in office they feel as though they can do as they please irregardless of right or wrong. Legal or not legal.

Comment

Originally posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
              Lot more to this. It sounds like they have been looking for the first reason to can him. The reason they found is flat out stupid.
              This. Times Eleventy Billion.
              sigpic
              Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Originally posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
                This is not even close to the spirit of the law or letter of the law for that matter. This is a typical case of a small village pulling their crap. They get local yahoos to run and once in office they feel as though they can do as they please irregardless of right or wrong. Legal or not legal.
                Yep. You can bet the mayor is willing to eat some free pancakes at the church social and not view it as an ethical issue.

Comment

Does Oklahoma have something like Texas Municipal Police Assoc. or CLEAT?
                  I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                    Yep. You can bet the mayor is willing to eat some free pancakes at the church social and not view it as an ethical issue.
                    So true. One of the village board members in a village located in the county I work in is that way. He is on the police board and he also works full time as a leo. This guy is all kinds of dirty in the way he conducts himself. He is a backbiting liar. He will make up rules as he pleases to push his agenda and he has no problem firing cops to make room for his buddies or simply because he does not like them. If that is not bad enough the guy is a criminal to boot. With some of the crap he has pulled over the years he should consider himself lucky to still have a job not to mention being thrown in jail.

My best friend works full time for the department. He has been there over 13 years. I have absolutely no idea how he has done it for so long. The guy is all kinds of long suffering.

Comment

The #1 question should be: Was he on or off duty when he accepted the money?

If he was off, then this shouldn't even be a problem. Sounds like it was just a personal gift from friends who care about him.

If he was in fact on duty, then I can see it being labeled as a gratuity.
                      Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

What? Your church can't give financial aid without it being considered gratuity? That's... stupid. Another instance of black and white policy being applied haphazardly.

Comment

At the PD i work at, the old mayor used to give all the reserves a $500 thank you check at Christmas.

Nothing wrong with this at all.
                          Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

So if i worked at that PD and got a grant to go to college part time, I'd be fired?

Comment

Very good point Dingo990. I have a buddy that used to work as a police officer in the county seat. His church, without him knowing, went out and purchased him an M4 to carry on duty. The department allowed officers to carry a personal rifle as long as they qualified with it. The fact that this church did that for him was not a problem at all for his department. He worked a very nasty area.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3684 users online. 201 members and 3483 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X