300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching someone to drive

I want to teach my cousin how to drive, however I don't know if I could get in trouble for it. There's a parking lot down the street from me that's never in use and I was thinking of going down there and setting up some cones. Would that be illegal? She's 18, but doesn't have a permit or anything.
    Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Why doesn't she have a permit? That's not only the first step in getting a license, it's the first step in taking on the responsibilities of being a driver.
    Stupidity should be a felony so that they lose the right to vote.

Comment

Take her to a farm with 20 acres and a beatup pickup. That's how I learned.
      "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
      I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
        Why doesn't she have a permit? That's not only the first step in getting a license, it's the first step in taking on the responsibilities of being a driver.
        Her parents are dead beats too poor to help her so I am since she asked me. She's gotten a job and just graduated highschool and has money saved up.

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
        Take her to a farm with 20 acres and a beatup pickup. That's how I learned.
        Don't have access to one unfortunately
        Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

First you need to take her for a drive while you're driving. Turn the phone off and make her watch, explaining the rules of the road.
          "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
          I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Sounds like a great kid!

My advice would be to have her get the permit so that she can learn the basics. Then you can start in the parking lots & side roads.

One of the things I would emphasize is making the stats & rules come to life. As an example of this explain the two-second following rule. Then point out all the cars that at least don't look like they are kept up (and thus couldn't stop as quickly as an average vehicle). Then note the number of drivers who might be behind you who are doing something other than paying attention (and thus would need extra reaction time). At this point you can explain to her that while some stuff in drivers ed/driver training classes are "boring" or abstract rules, there's real-life/practical reasons why it's a good idea to follow them...such as why that extra space is need to not only avoid the cars ahead of you, but allow the cars behind you to stop as well. Young drivers, while they can be immature, aren't necessarily dangerous because of their age. Their primary handicap is that they don't have the hands-on experience to understand how quickly things can turn to guano (primarily due to the stupidity of others).

Good luck!

Comment

Sounds like a great kid!

Young drivers, while they can be immature, aren't necessarily dangerous because of their age. Their primary handicap is that they don't have the hands-on experience to understand how quickly things can turn to guano (primarily due to the stupidity of others).

Good luck!
              Thank you for saying this. I just started learning how to drive 5 weeks ago and I feel I have been very responsible behind the wheel. (thanks in large part to my Mom!)

When I started driving I had already gotten my permit. My mom and I drove around some private side streets (no fast than 15 mph ). After a couple days I worked my way out onto some busier streets and cruised through the park. I was out on the highway after 7 + days, but ONLY because both my Mom and I agreed I was ready for it.

I can't give instructions on how to teach a new driver, but as a student driver I can say you should make sure that the student understands what is being explained and how the rules of the road work. Also, make sure the student is comfortable with the pace of the learning process (going from a parking lot to a side street and eventually to the highway.) Don't rush. For me, I felt pretty comfortable behind the wheel. However, I know some new drivers are terrified at first. It just depends how people react at first.

Also, I've never taken Driver's Education courses and I don't intend to. My mom has done great at teaching me how to drive, and I feel pretty comfortable on the roads (but I'm still learning more each day and need much more time out there!) In Ohio, if you are under the age of 18 you need to have 50 hours of driving with an adult in addition to 15+ hours of Driver's Ed to get a driver's license. However, if you are 18 or older you don't need Driver's Ed, you just have to pass the test.

I'll be 18 in 9 months, so I think I'll hold off on the Driver's license until then. That's not to say Driver's Ed is stupid and won't help, but for me I don't think it would do much more good. My mom has ridden with me and constantly points stuff out. As this point, I can't imagine Driver's Ed would say anything my mom hasn't already said 100 times! (My dad has helped too, but he's a lousy driver. My mom often corects him when he's in the wrong lane or not yielding properly lol)
              Last edited by Jacob2899; 06-06-2012, 12:27 AM.
              "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Comment

Learner's permits don't cost a king's ransom, so start there. Advise her to get one. If you take her to learn on private property, it might be a good idea to have their consent before setting up your cones etc. If the owner approves, you're good to go.

Comment

My dad taught me how to drive and park in a parking lot when I was 9 clearly I wasn't thinking of whether or not it was legal but I was light years ahead of all the kids in my drivers ed class when that time came 7 years later.

Comment

Philipcal;
                    Good idea of getting the propery owners permission, but in this day of litigation I wonder how many owners would be willing to allow an unlicensed driver to drive on their property.

Comment

Philipcal;
                      Good idea of getting the propery owners permission, but in this day of litigation I wonder how many owners would be willing to allow an unlicensed driver to drive on their property.
                      PhilipCal advised getting a learner's permit first and LPs are a form of DL.

Comment

Philipcal;
                        Great thoughts. Very valid. That's one reason I suggest our OP get permission. Time was, no one really cared. THAT has changed in sooooo many ways.

Comment

Assuming since no permit also no car, if going to use your car you might want to check with your insurance company what happens if you let someone drive your car illegally and they cause damage/injury. A learner's permit is easy to get.

Comment

I concur with advice offered by others. Tell her to take the easy written test and get the learner's permit. It won't cost much and she'll be legally able to do something besides navigating around cones in a big parking lot. If she has a permit, she can drive your car (or a car owned by someone else) and should be fully covered by insurance if she has a mishap of some kind.

My insurance won't go up when my teenage son gets his learner's permit (Gads!) in two years, but I (or my ex-wife) are going to pay through the nose once he passes the test and gets his license. He already knows that he will get his permit as soon as he legally can, but it will be a VERY LONG TIME before he gets his actual license. I'll put that boy through the wringer, including my own modified EVOC course (LOL!) and a lesson on manual transmission vehicles -- which is a lost art nowadays.

If you teach this young lady to drive, be sure to explain to her the concept of keeping right and passing left (another lost art) and tell her to ALWAYS use the blinker - even if nobody is around. Good habits begin early, but so do bad ones.

GOOD LUCK!!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4000 users online. 193 members and 3807 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X