300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• those oral board scenarios...

OMG... I'm fried. Had both the regular oral board and the Admin Oral board BACK TO BACK.

The first wasn't *so* bad, the training Sgt. I know, a Deputy I know, and a Corporal/FTO from the jail I don't know...

Scenario #1, 9-1-1 call, domestic, can hear a woman screaming in the bg. Get there, house is dark, no one around, knock on door, guy comes down like he's just been woken up... explain why you're there and he slams the door in your face. What do you do?

then... add to that, he's got blood spattered on him. DOH--no brainer.

#2: You find a fellow Deputy *taking* bags of salt from the town salt and sand shed. What do you do?

#3 Kid with his license for a month has a car full of drunk friends, possibly some alcohol in the car... (we have restricted licenses for the 1st year, no passengers under 18 other than family) they called him for a safe ride home because they were all drunk... what do you do?

#4-Stop a veh, no reg, no inspection, no insurance, driving it to his brother's garage 1/4 mile down the road to get it fixed so it can be inspected/reg'd etc. What do you do?

Then... the Admin boards. The big guys. Scenario--0200 in the cold dark winter... you pull over a veh for erratic operation/poss OUI. Get up to the truck and it reeks of alcohol, and find out the driver is a State Police Leiutenant.... whooooeeeee there's no good answer to that one.

Mine was: wake up ALOT of people... my CO first. Then maybe his. If he is OUI I *do* have an obligation... They ask: do you take him to the jail for test? Me: No, there are options like one of the PD's with intox. Jail is unsafe/dangerous for such a person.

Now, asked a Sgt on the way out what *his* answer is (mind you, he's a SERGEANT) he says, "Give him a ride home." Geesh.

I just feel like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't on these questions... There just isn't any answer that if you nail 'em for the crime with no discretion you don't look bad... but if you don't nail 'em you're not upholding the law...

URG.

Did I mention I think I didn't get it...??? :rolleyes There were at least two full-time Academy grads up against me. NINE all together for 2 positions.

's o.k., I'm still a Reserve County Deputy no matter what... and the PD I've worked Admin Assist for TODAY announced a new position they're filling from w/in with one of the Reserves, which, *should* open up a Reserve position... we'll see.

Time, patience and experience...

I love these "what ifs"

Scenario #1, 9-1-1 call, domestic, can hear a woman screaming in the bg. Get there, house is dark, no one around, knock on door, guy comes down like he's just been woken up... explain why you're there and he slams the door in your face. What do you do?

So what do you do? You have PC to force the door open, but that could be dangerous. Do you have another unit? If you haven't had training on this, how are you supposed to know? BTW, we were trained to block the door with our feet, but the minute I saw blood I would have placed him in investigative detention.

then... add to that, he's got blood spattered on him. DOH--no brainer.

That's why he'd get cuffed. This is definitely a no-win scenario. You can risk harm to yourself by forcing the issue with him, or wait for backup or instructions, which may put her at risk if he hasn't killed her already.

#2: You find a fellow Deputy *taking* bags of salt from the town salt and sand shed. What do you do?

What do you do? You tell him to stop or you'll report him to IA. This stuff p****s me off, because it's so minor, you hate to see somebody end up losing a job over a lapse in judgement, but cops should set a better example.

What do you say you'd do? Report it to your supervisor or IA.

#3 Kid with his license for a month has a car full of drunk friends, possibly some alcohol in the car... (we have restricted licenses for the 1st year, no passengers under 18 other than family) they called him for a safe ride home because they were all drunk... what do you do?

Wants & warrants, then call all their parents to come get them. Anything else is irrsponsible.

#4-Stop a veh, no reg, no inspection, no insurance, driving it to his brother's garage 1/4 mile down the road to get it fixed so it can be inspected/reg'd etc. What do you do?

What do you do? Wants and warrants, check lic. &
    reg. and follow him there.

What do you say you'll do? Tell him to "Press firmly, he's making 4 copies"

Then... the Admin boards. The big guys. Scenario--0200 in the cold dark winter... you pull over a veh for erratic operation/poss OUI. Get up to the truck and it reeks of alcohol, and find out the driver is a State Police Leiutenant.... whooooeeeee there's no good answer to that one.

I had this happen to me, but city PD LT in an unmarked unit. I called the dipatch landline and asked them to send a Sgt I know in his personal car to get him. Unless he showed his ***, I'd do that again.

Not sure what I'd tell them I'd do.

Mine was: wake up ALOT of people... my CO first. Then maybe his. If he is OUI I *do* have an obligation...

You have an obligation to get him off the road.

They ask: do you take him to the jail for test?

Only if I had to make it official.

Me: No, there are options like one of the PD's with intox. Jail is unsafe/dangerous for such a person.

Another reason for cops to obey the law.

I just feel like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't on these questions... There just isn't any answer that if you nail 'em for the crime with no discretion you don't look bad... but if you don't nail 'em you're not upholding the law...

They know that, that's the whole point. A lot of how I'd respond is based on the subject I'm dealing with and their demeanor toward me.

Did I mention I think I didn't get it...??? :rolleyes There were at least two full-time Academy grads up against me. NINE all together for 2 positions.

See if you get to meet with the highest ranking officer on the panel. They're usually willing to talk to you about it and tell you why they decided to do what they did.

What would everybody else do/say they'd do? How many LEOs here have no mercy on anybody?
    "But if it be a sin to covet honor, I am the most offending soul alive." from Henry V, by Wm. Shakespeare

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5543 users online. 327 members and 5216 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X