300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Topics

In regards to INTERVIEWING for a job as a Police Officer, how would you answer the following interview question?

You are on patrol in the evening and notice a vehicle swerving in and out of their lane, crossing the center line several times. You pull the vehicle over, and as you approach the smell of alcohol is overwhelming. When you begin to speak to the driver, you realize it is a fellow Police Officer on a different shift in your agency. How do you handle the situation?

*This isn't meant to start a riot or a war. I'm going through interview processes with Police Departments right now, and I am curious to see how current LEO's would answer. Thanks for the help for those who respond.

The people interviewing you want YOUR answer not ours.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Well, for the sake of argument, I would answer with something along the lines of the following.

I would help the fellow officer out. I would make sure the vehicle stays parked for the night and arrange a ride home. However, he would not be off the hook. I will be at this door the next day chewing him out for putting me in such a bad situation.

NOW: This discretion that I will use is not limited to Police Officers. I will occasionally do the same thing for people I do not know as well, if certain circumstances are met. Sometimes people make mistakes, and ruining someones life over it is not worth it.

Since I have provided my answer, I am curious to see what others would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra7 View Post
        Well, for the sake of argument, I would answer with something along the lines of the following.

I would help the fellow officer out. I would make sure the vehicle stays parked for the night and arrange a ride home. However, he would not be off the hook. I will be at this door the next day chewing him out for putting me in such a bad situation.

NOW: This discretion that I will use is not limited to Police Officers. I will occasionally do the same thing for people I do not know as well, if certain circumstances are met. Sometimes people make mistakes, and ruining someones life over it is not worth it.

I am going to repeat.............the interview panel wants YOUR answer. If you are comfortable with that answer , go with it.

The more you over think or over research the possible questions and the answers to those questions the more disingenuous YOUR answers will become. The panel members will catch on. You won't like their response if they feel they are being played.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Well, as of right now...that would be my answer. However, if other people have other answers (and are willing to provide some valid points as to why they come to that conclusions), my decision may be swayed. I'm open minded, and would like to learn from more experienced officers.

Comment

They want to see that you can back up your answers and won't backpedal. Think for yourself on these questions.

Comment

You can never go wrong with "call your sergeant".

Comment

Oh come now, you know no sergeant or anyone else is available in these scenarios.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

In regards to INTERVIEWING for a job as a Police Officer, how would you answer the following interview question?

You are on patrol in the evening and notice a vehicle swerving in and out of their lane, crossing the center line several times. You pull the vehicle over, and as you approach the smell of alcohol is overwhelming. When you begin to speak to the driver, you realize it is a fellow Police Officer on a different shift in your agency. How do you handle the situation?

*This isn't meant to start a riot or a war. I'm going through interview processes with Police Departments right now, and I am curious to see how current LEO's would answer. Thanks for the help for those who respond.
                  If I suspected that the officer was DUI then I would call a supervisor to notify them of the situation and then make the arrest. If the supervisor wanted to make the arrest, which is normal procedure here, then I would let them have it. I have zero tolerance for DUI. Speeding or other minor traffic charges would get a pass every time.

Comment

I've heard this answer before and I liked it:

First off, I would make sure he's not having some sort of medical problem, which I'm SURE he would be. Then I would park his car and call an ambulance and have him taken to the hospital for a check out.
                    Originally posted by RSGSRT
                    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Sarge, can you 25 me at this location?

Seriously though, if my man was border-line and there's a chance I would give discretion to any other citizen, then I probably wouldn't arrest him for it. Borderline for me is around the .08 or .09 level, as there's a chance they would be under the legal limit by the time we made it to the intoximeter. I would, however, have another officer there to witness everything and I would inform my supervisor. If my supervisor sees fit to bring the whole thing up then it's on him.

If the other officer is obviously well over the limit, then I'm going to do my job. Sorry, there are some things I don't give LEOs discretion on and DWI is one of them. I would hate doing my job at that point, but I would do it anyway... with another officer as a witness.

Comment

Originally posted by 5whiskey View Post
                        Sarge, can you 25 me at this location?

Seriously though, if my man was border-line and there's a chance I would give discretion to any other citizen, then I probably wouldn't arrest him for it. Borderline for me is around the .08 or .09 level, as there's a chance they would be under the legal limit by the time we made it to the intoximeter. I would, however, have another officer there to witness everything and I would inform my supervisor. If my supervisor sees fit to bring the whole thing up then it's on him.

If the other officer is obviously well over the limit, then I'm going to do my job. Sorry, there are some things I don't give LEOs discretion on and DWI is one of them. I would hate doing my job at that point, but I would do it anyway... with another officer as a witness.
                        +1
                        Originally posted by RSGSRT
                        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

LINY sort of beat me to it. If the OP is looking for answers that will make the interviewers happy...there are none that will will produce an effect that you will see in the panel. After doing several LE interviews out of college every employment interview after that was a breeze.
                          This Space For Rent

Comment

In my time, most if not all of us would take him home without notifying a supervisor, and that was unofficial policy no matter what department he worked for.
                            Retired

Comment

Just wondering what circumstances would have to be met for you to let someone go who is swerving all over the road with strong alcohol odor on the breath. Seems like they are being quite dangerous.

Don't you think that they are ruining their own lives by driving in such a manner?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5474 users online. 329 members and 5145 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X