F.B.I. National Academy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.B.I. National Academy.

I guess this is the best place to post this. If someone has been to the F.B.I. National Academy in the last few years I would lave to ask some questions. Shoot me a P.M.

Thanks

Bump on this. Though I'm several years away from even being able to throw my hat in the ring just for consideration for a slot, I specifically have a question about the University of Virginia graduate certificate that can be obtained as part of the NA. If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know.
    sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
    DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

ISPCAPT

is a graduate

Comment

Not a fan.
        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
          Not a fan.
          Any reason why?
          sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

Because it is not an academy. It is more like a daily forum and discussions on how to help each agency. Its more managerial based training for higher ups. Supposed to be well aboce LT's rank but they take sgt and lt. All different agencies from usa and world attend.
            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
              Because it is not an academy. It is more like a daily forum and discussions on how to help each agency. Its more managerial based training for higher ups. Supposed to be well aboce LT's rank but they take sgt and lt. All different agencies from usa and world attend.
              I know all that. It is definitely networking-heavy, though the classes offered do seem quite good. I've never heard anyone speak negatively about it, but it would be nice to hear varying experiences.
              sigpic

DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

It's exactly what everyone said.. networking and management classes. It's a credential you gotta have on paper if you want to become chief around here. These comments are based on the opinion of a guy I know that went.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalFrenchie View Post
                  I know all that. It is definitely networking-heavy, though the classes offered do seem quite good. I've never heard anyone speak negatively about it, but it would be nice to hear varying experiences.
                  I know a number of graduates and none of them have a bad word to say about the experience.

It is not designed to be a training academy ---------------it is designed to be a graduate school level educational experience. The networking is built into the system and is integral to the program.

It is meant to be for the up-and-comers of the agency who plan on being top level administrators

Comment

Several of our admin have attended and a Lt from my previous department attended. My opinion only, but the FBI has no clue on how to manage a municipal police department nor do municipal police work. They do the big time investigation stuff and do it well. Secondly, it seems to change individuals management style to place blame for everything on the individual officer instead of finding ways to fix the overall issue. I'm sure there are a great deal of benefits from attending, but overall, I've seen a few, not my department per se, come back and develop ways to screw the front line guys with nonsensical policies and absurd projects. I guess I just have an old school mentality.
                    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
                      Several of our admin have attended and a Lt from my previous department attended. My opinion only, but the FBI has no clue on how to manage a municipal police department nor do municipal police work. They do the big time investigation stuff and do it well. Secondly, it seems to change individuals management style to place blame for everything on the individual officer instead of finding ways to fix the overall issue. I'm sure there are a great deal of benefits from attending, but overall, I've seen a few, not my department per se, come back and develop ways to screw the front line guys with nonsensical policies and absurd projects. I guess I just have an old school mentality.
                      You nailed it. Having served as both Muni and Fed, rest assured there are still us old school types out there.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4680 users online. 178 members and 4502 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                      X