300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nepotism In Law Enforcement

Lets hear it. How does your PD or SO deal with this? I have literally heard both extremes and many places somewhere in the middle. I can think of one sheriff's office where the sheriff's # 3 man was his brother. I can think of a police department where brothers-in-law both worked there and one did manage the other one!

I have heard of the opposite where if you are related to practically anybody on the department, they pass you over. They specifically ask during the background and verify through Accurint, Lexis/Nexis, or whatever database.

Finally, I have heard of others where being related to other members is permissible BUT you cannot supervise a relative.

Anyway, lets here it from your area. Do you have fathers and sons in your agency? Do you have husbands and wives on the same shift? Or do you have couples in hiding and NOT getting married because one would have to quit so that the other was in compliance with a policy?

And, perhaps most importantly, how does it seem to be perceived by your brother and sister officers?
    Last edited by Jim1648; 02-09-2012, 07:08 AM. Reason: Details

No nepotism that I know of really, everything around here is Civil Service so it mostly does away with that. If there are relatives on the PD it's because they passed the Civil Service exams fair and square.

Comment

Civil service here. Multiple family members can work for the same agency. However, one family member cannot supervise another or be involved in making or influencing personnel decisions regarding the other. Ditto if you are not married or related but are in a personal relationship with each other.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648
        Do you have fathers and sons in your agency? Do you have husbands and wives on the same shift?
        Both and then some....we have 2 dispatchers dating and living together working the same shift (DRAMA!!!!!); a dispatcher and deputy recently got married and work the same shift (they met when he was training her in dispatch and he was recently sent to the academy and promoted); we have sergeants and lieutenants who supervise their sons/daughters/brothers/sisters throughout the department.....doesn't bother me that much (or anyone else for that matter) because they still have to prove themselves to keep the job even if their relative assisted in their hiring.
        Originally posted by RSGSRT
        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

My grandpa is the sheriff. My dad is the Lt. My mom is my sgt. My brother is the dispatcher. My sister is the detective. My cousin is my partner...and my wife.

That's just how it worked out...

Comment

City policy does not permit relatives to work within the same department. One of our officers is married to a teacher in the City Charter school, but the policy did not apply because the school and police department are different "departments" within the city.

Comment

Louisiana Board of Ethics would rip us a new one if we engaged in nepotism. We have to attend an hour long class every year (State requirement) reminding us that it is a no-no.

I wrote the Ethics board to see if I could have my wife volunteer, with no pay, as a reserve for my department. Response was a big "NO".

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
                My cousin is my partner...and my wife.
                Your cousin is your wife?

Comment

Relatives can work together, but can't supervise each other. Basically, as long as two relatives are here, they will never be promoted.

Comment

Originally posted by brusheda24 View Post
                    Your cousin is your wife?
                    Just my first cousin.

Comment

Merit System (Civil Service) here. I can only speak for my Agency, but at one time the Director (Colonel's son) worked the same detail I did. Promotion was by competitive examination. It still is.

Comment

Dekalb county's (large metro Atlanta county) police chief and fire chief are brothers.

Comment

I can understand regulating the hiring of relatives. That's asking for trouble. There's been two high profile cases here in CT recently where nepotism led to the hiring of officers' relatives who had no business being in law enforcement, which led to incidents that gave the departments' big black eyes.

Hiring of friends or children of makes sense though. What I mean is, let's you've got 1 opening and 5 qualified candidates, and one is the chief's best friend's son. The chief has known the son for many years and knows he's an upstanding, moral man with a good background and would make an excellent police officer. The son has passed all tests and investigations with no disqualifiers. I can understand hiring someone like that over 4 guys who you don't know aside from their 10 minute interview and background investigation packet.

Originally posted by LINY
                          No nepotism that I know of really, everything around here is Civil Service so it mostly does away with that. If there are relatives on the PD it's because they passed the Civil Service exams fair and square.
                          Civil Services cuts down on, but doesn't eliminate nepotism and favoritism. There's ways around it. Technically, as I understand it, CS means that you get placed an eligibility list after the written and/or oral exam, and if you are indeed qualified (that is, you pass the background, psych, physical, etc.), they can't pass over you. So, yeah, let's say you're hiring, 5 recruit officers. There are 10 people on the civil service list (keeping the numbers small for simplicity) and a city councilman's son is ranked number 6. The 5 guys in front of him are completely qualified and so, according the rules, tough luck for the councilman's kid.

Not so fast. You can get the councilman's kid to number 5 if you can find something, ANYTHING to eliminate the current number 5 guy. There's not a single perfect person in the world and there hasn't been since 33 AD, so they're going to have something in their background, however slight. Number 5 admitted in his questionnaire that when he was 15 he took a puff of weed at a party, didn't like it, and hasn't done it since. Even though he's 30 years old now and hasn't touched drugs, they can still eliminate him for that and move the councilman's kid up to #5.

Now maybe the councilman's son's best friend also took the test and was ranked #9. Now, DQ #7 for setting off fireworks when he was 17 (he was old enough and should have known better), #8 for getting a parking ticket in college (Parking ticket shows lack of situational awareness and/or disregard for law). He's now ranked #6. Now find #4 something to get DQ'd by. There you have it. Those other guys weren't "qualified" and the fact that the councilman's son and his friend got the job was "fair and square."
                          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                          -Chris Rock

Comment

No nepotism here. We used to have a Chief and officer that were husband and wife...but that was in the late 80's.

Comment

Civil Service
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5196 users online. 332 members and 4864 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X