300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp time

Can an employer make you use your comp time at their convenience?

I tried doing some reaearch and only found that the employee can request to take some of their comp time and get it approved only if the absence does not burden the agency, such as man power issues.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

It appears they can compel use of CTO to reduce hour accumulation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=25f...20time&f=false

http://sogpubs.unc.edu/electronicver...dfs/pplb21.pdf
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Heres one for you, we work 12 hours, but only get paid 8 hours of holiday pay. If we take sick or vacation time, naturally we have to use 12 hours. How is that right?
      "Life is not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving foward"- Rocky Balboa

Black Labs Matter!

Comment

Originally posted by rgv_cop View Post
        Can an employer make you use your comp time at their convenience?
        We could by law but could not per union contract.........................

Originally posted by Interceptor View Post
        Heres one for you, we work 12 hours, but only get paid 8 hours of holiday pay. If we take sick or vacation time, naturally we have to use 12 hours. How is that right?
        Check your collective bargaining contract...................

Contact the US Department of Labor Wage and Hour division to see if it is legal absent of a contract
        http://www.dol.gov/whd/
        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 02-03-2012, 08:41 AM.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

When we went to 12s, it seemed unfair to only get the same fringe time as with 8s, but having to use more to get time off. However, when you think about it, you only work 7 out of 14 days. Several years later, the chief put on back on 8s to penalize us. At that point we could do 8s standing on our heads, but we sure did miss the extra days off. Face it, the gov unit isn't going to give you more fringe time.
          Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

What exactly is comp time? Similar to vacation days?

Comment

It's time off in lieu of OT.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
              (")_(")
              Copy and paste Bunny into your
              signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Originally posted by CACBAND View Post
                It's time off in lieu of OT.
                So if you worked 16 hours of OT you'd get 2 vacation days? A bit of a foreign concept for me, since everyone I know of gets paid their OT around here.
                Last edited by LINY; 02-04-2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

No 48 hours of comp time, it's hour for hour.

In the screwed up case above, they only get 8 hours (a normal work day) even though they work 12 hour shifts.
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Also Comp time is normally an option and can't usually be forced onto a person in lieu of OT. It's also common for salaried as they get no OT.
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

We don't get paid overtime if we work over on our shift. The only paid OT comes from working federal projects (DUI, OPO, etc) My department can force us to use the c time if you have a lot of hours built up, but I can also use it at my discretion. If I go to work and 4 hours into my shift I want to go home, I go home on c time. If I need a day off, I call in and say that I'm taking c time for the day, however c time can be denied if there's a shortage or on weekends and holidays. C time is earned like OT would be...at time and a half.
                      I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
                      it" - Thucydides

sigpic

Comment

We get to choose between cash and comp time. If we work an 8 hour OT shift, we get 12 hours comp or 1 1/2 times our usual hourly pay. We have designated 4 comp slots per shift no matter if it shorts the shift. (Our union had a backbone at one time in the past! ) We also have a set number of vacation slots per shift and classification (Deputy, CO, Dispatcher) which is supposed to make sure the shifts aren't too short.

However, the command union recently accepted a contract that eliminates comp altogether and the county wants us to accept a similar contract. We rejected it for a whole number of reasons (allows part time employees, loss of half our benefits, etc.) so we'll see what happens in arbitration.
                        Originally posted by RSGSRT
                        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Comp time is supposed to accrue at time and a half, just like the cash would. So, 12 hours in exchange for eight OT, not the other way around. I was surprised with a nice, fat check in the mail a couple of years after leaving a job, covering all of the straight comp time hours worked.
                          "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
                          ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

One more opinion...Yes, employers CAN have you take Comp Time off at their discretion. Usually this happens when they are "fat" on certain days, and they need to clean-up any overtime. Compensatory Time or Comp Time is overtime in lieu of paid, (cash) overtime. It should accrue at 1 1/2 times the actual overtime hours worked. Like Iowa said, check with your Union Rep or with your agencies' policy regarding overtime.
                            Ski

Comment

Originally posted by codemanski View Post
                              One more opinion...Yes, employers CAN have you take Comp Time off at their discretion. Usually this happens when they are "fat" on certain days, and they need to clean-up any overtime. Compensatory Time or Comp Time is overtime in lieu of paid, (cash) overtime. It should accrue at 1 1/2 times the actual overtime hours worked. Like Iowa said, check with your Union Rep or with your agencies' policy regarding overtime.
                              Ski
                              State of Iowa contract allows comp time to accrue at time and a half................a person can only "bank" comp time up to 80 hrs.

All comp time has to be paid out/used by the end of the fiscal yr (June 30) or it WILL be paid.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5064 users online. 373 members and 4691 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X