Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old is too old to become an officer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is too old to become an officer?

I am wanting to become a LEO, but when I decide to pursue it, I might be around the age of 30..after having 10+ years of business experience working in IT, and getting my Bachelors degree, would I be too old to join the ranks?

I have been wondering this a lot, or if I should change my path now that I am 25?

I worry for such a huge change, but I really want to pursue a LE job!

I had people in their 40's in my academy.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Cool, kind of good to know that 30 might not be too old.

Comment

I've always thought that 45 should be the upper-limit for age. That way, the department at least gets 20 years for their considerable investment in hiring someone.

The Boston PD, before they instituted an age limit of 32, had a recruit graduate the academy at age 64. He worked for less than a year before he had to retire by law at age 65, which was ridiculous in my opinion.
        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Agreed, I really want to get in..but I feel I need to set myself apart with my 4 year, so I want to get that done first. I have a few years of experience as a network guy in IT, and plan to until I make the move into LE.

Comment

I'm 40 and in the academy. Just be squared away with PT and flexible. Don't let the 20 somethings get on your nerves. They seem to enjoy farting and giggling about it every time they get a chance.

Comment

I work a part-time job, in a very small town, with another part-time officer who is 69 years old, medically disabled, has COPD, and even a handicapped tag on his personal vehicle.

Back when I was at the academy there was a guy in his 60's there that had a heart attack running one morning. He ended up coming back and passing though.

Comment

When I went through the academy in my late thirties, I felt "old" -- until I realized we had another guy in the class who was 45+ and another chap in his mid-fifties!

What is surprising is that some of the 'senior' deputies/officers often outscore their younger counterparts when the PT test is administered. Don't sweat it, get your degree and apply a few years later. There are always openings for good people.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Good to hear. I'll still try to get in quickly

Comment

My brother in law was in his fifties when he went to the academy. Scored #1 in academics and PT. He is 70, retired a few years ago and is still in great shape and can run all day long.
                    Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

In NY, 35 for Police Officer. I'm not sure if there is an age limit on Peace Officer though.

Comment

Police Officer would be my goal of course.

Anyone transition from IT/Desk job, how was the change?

Comment

I'm 31 and still trying if it makes you feel better - victim of the economy...
                          Originally posted by RSGSRT
                          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

*Granted - I could have been a cop a long time ago - but I wanted to get my bachelors degree.
                            Originally posted by RSGSRT
                            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                              *Granted - I could have been a cop a long time ago - but I wanted to get my bachelors degree.
                              crap! haha, do you think it makes you more marketable as being a cop?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12629 users online. 478 members and 12151 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X