Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another one... Marine faces 15 years behind bars for unknowingly violating gun law

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one... Marine faces 15 years behind bars for unknowingly violating gun law

I think the headline is over the top, but another recent NY City case:

Ryan Jerome was enjoying his first trip to New York City on business when the former Marine Corps gunner walked up to a security officer at the Empire State Building and asked where he should check his gun.

That was when Jerome’s nightmare began. The security officer called police and Jerome spent the next two days in jail.
    Full story here:
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/03/ma...ating-gun-law/
    The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

It's 3 years, not 15.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

These people are very ignorant. Imagine how many must carry and never try to "check their gun" and thus go undetected.

I guess I will take some extra time in the next ccw class to explain more about other states CCW laws. We do generally talk about it a bit, but NY, NJ, and IL need some extra mention I guess, I never ran into a gun nut who did NOT know those states have very restrictive laws in that respect. But not ALL ccw seekers and holders are gun nuts I guess ??

Bill
      Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
        These people are very ignorant. Imagine how many must carry and never try to "check their gun" and thus go undetected.

I guess I will take some extra time in the next ccw class to explain more about other states CCW laws. We do generally talk about it a bit, but NY, NJ, and IL need some extra mention I guess, I never ran into a gun nut who did NOT know those states have very restrictive laws in that respect. But not ALL ccw seekers and holders are gun nuts I guess ??

Bill

Weird. Its almost liket could be planned to draw attention to their cause...
        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
          Weird. Its almost like it could be planned to draw attention to their cause...
          Hmmmmmmmmmm......
          Originally posted by RSGSRT
          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
            Weird. Its almost liket could be planned to draw attention to their cause...
            I do not know many fine upstanding people with jobs and all that j*** that will commit felonies(especially in states far from home) to advance their cause, esp when a large part of our "cause" is that we are law abiding people worthy of trust :-).

I will confess that in my younger years I DID transport a loaded 1911 in my car from Ohio to NYC several times, I knew it was "illegal" but I had NO idea really what a mess I would have gotten into had I been stopped in NJ or NY. I sure would not do it today, with age comes wisdom maybe in some cases.

Bill
            Last edited by willbird; 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

He should have asked "Where can I check my constitution?"

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                He should have asked "Where can I check my constitution?"
                The copies of the constitution we have are stamped "Not Valid in NYC" when you turn to the second amendment.

Comment

Wonder what "on-line gun law" resource he visited that had the bad information? If the reporting is correct...
                  Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
                  drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by liny View Post
                    the copies of the constitution we have are stamped "not valid in nyc" when you turn to the second amendment.

^^^ Like. ^^^^

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

willbird wrote:
                      "I do not know many fine upstanding people with jobs and all that j*** that will commit felonies(especially in states far from home) to advance their cause, esp when a large part of our "cause" is that we are law abiding people worthy of trust :-)."

IIRC, you basically have to have been arrested/charged in order to have standing to challenge a law. It's probably a little more complicated than that and the resident legal experts will fill in the gaps shortly...

Comment

Originally posted by PavePusher View Post
                        IIRC, you basically have to have been arrested/charged in order to have standing to challenge a law. It's probably a little more complicated than that and the resident legal experts will fill in the gaps shortly...
                        I was always under the impression that anyone can sue anyone at any time for any reason. That would include suing the government for an illegal law.

However, "Fighting City Hall" takes considerable resources which is why it isn't normally Joe Blow who files a suit and gets an attorney and wins. Normally Joe Blow gets arrested, there is a public outcry, and then some aid comes his way.

Comment

Originally posted by PavePusher View Post
                          willbird wrote:

But only a moonbat or a wackaloon would commit a felony in NY with the idea of forcing NY to accept an out of state CCW, IMHO anyway.

Comment

Yes, you can sue anyone at any time for any (or no) reason. But the fact that they let you pay your fee and file your lawsuit does not mean that you won't get summarily kicked out of court.
                            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

It is hard to believe that a Marine could be that oblivious to the fact that gun laws vary from state to state. And I seriously doubt that he found a site that said that an Indiana permit is valid in New York.
                              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4610 users online. 285 members and 4325 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X