Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with 2011 Dodge Chargers...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=150825

I had thought that this information would have made it to other agencies across the nation by now, but I recently learned that two other troopers from other agencies have had similar issues with their 2011 Chargers. GLHS837 suggested that a thread be started here about the subject and I agree.

last week our HQ ordered the field to immediately take all of our 2011 Chargers out of service. The e-mail that was forwarded to me from HQ was somewhat vague. I only say vague because it only stated that our Precision Driving Unit had identified an electrical issue with the 2011 Dodge Charger, and that our Department was working with Chrysler to fix the issue ASAP.

Now I heard of this issue from another troop around 11am on 12/20/11, and this was before I even read the forwarded e-mail. This troop told me that the issue was with the fusebox, and this issue can effect the stability control. What he told me exactly is that the fuse that controls the stability control can come loose and cause the vehicle to stall. As I said this info was through the grapevine and not what I heard through official channels.

Well by 9am on 12/21/11 I heard that all of our the 2011 Chargers in the district were to be taken to a central Post where this issued would be corrected. I was surprised by the fast response.

I stopped in to see what was going on. There was one person there from the vendor that supplies the fuseboxes to Chrysler. It looked like he was rewiring each vehicle's fusebox one by one. It wasn't a difficult fix as the other troops that were waiting said he was getting one done about every 20 minutes.

I did asked the vendor if this issue involved civilian Chargers as well, and he told me that it only effected 2011 police and SRT models (yes I know there are no 2011 SRT Chargers). I also asked him what the issue was and if it effected the stability control. The vendor told me that he thought it effected the lights, as in that they would come on all on there own. I don' know if he was shining me on, but I guess I was briefly interrupting him while he was working.

I did snap a few photos of our 2011 Chargers waiting to be repaired...

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

my charger and my sgts does the same thing. the lights come on and go away at various times in park and drive. i really hadn't noticed any problems with the driving while they lights are on are off. also when i was driving, i got on the accelerator then get off, the tranny felt like it shuttered back and forth and the check engine light cut on. the second time this happened i lost ALL acceleration. I stopped the car, did not put it in park, then let off the break and it resumed normal driving and i haven't had a problem with that since. other then that, i wish i completely dim out the gauges when i am running stationary, but generally it drives fine. i have the 5.7 v8.
    dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

Now that I'm done drooling....

Does that problem effect civilian SE versions? That's all the bean counters at the county provide for our deputies...the civilian V6 SE Chargers...but hey - they sprung for the after market police wheels so they would look cool...
      Last edited by Aerohead; 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM.
      Originally posted by RSGSRT
      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I also found out that they started buying regular Ford Crown Vics (not Police Interceptors) and put the "Police Interceptor" badges on them (some of them crooked) - when I told a union steward his reply was "So?"....but that's neither here nor there.....
        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

My understanding is this effects the ESC and anti-locks, but is just a simple systems failure for the electro-nannies and will not effect the car itself. The traction control and anti-locks just stop working. (but I admit I am just going on what another fleet manager in another sheriff department told me)

Good because you can still use the car, bad if you are counting on them while driving it.

And, MSP, please go to regular lightbars already. Your new blinky thing is just pitful in a God-aweful sort of way. The magic pink light was bad enough, this is just sad.
          "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power ... like God must feel when he's holding a gun. " Homer Simpson

sigpic

Comment

This is actually a problem with all the charges. There is a petiton for a recall. Have who ever deals with yalls cars give a call to dodge with one of the vins.
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
              I also found out that they started buying regular Ford Crown Vics (not Police Interceptors) and put the "Police Interceptor" badges on them (some of them crooked) - when I told a union steward his reply was "So?"....but that's neither here nor there.....
              ಠ_ಠ

That's ... I ... forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                It's my understanding that if you use a civilian model for emergency use, it voids the warranty on the vehicle.
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                  It's my understanding that if you use a civilian model for emergency use, it voids the warranty on the vehicle.
                  I wouldn't be surprised. Although with how they maintain them (1 employee, a few trustees), I doubt they care....
                  Last edited by Aerohead; 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohan View Post
                    And, MSP, please go to regular lightbars already. Your new blinky thing is just pitful in a God-aweful sort of way. The magic pink light was bad enough, this is just sad.
                    I know, every time I drive very far into MI and see a patrol car I literally LOL. The MSP guys must think all Ohio drivers laugh all the time.
                    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

I like the bubble lights - you ALWAYS know who it is...

Comment

It just takes me back to the 70's for a few minutes hehe :-). I wonder how many places in the good old USA still actually use them ??

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                          It just takes me back to the 70's for a few minutes hehe :-). I wonder how many places in the good old USA still actually use them ??
                          I'm thinking just them. But they are outfitting them with LED's so they're bright as hell now. I saw a new Charger on a stop on the way to work the other day all lit up and I could see it literally from a mile away...

Comment

You could get a LOT of LED's in that upside down trash can of a light :-).

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                              Traditions die hard...............

It took the Iowa State Patrol from 1936 to 2000 to change from the cross draw holster (after a trooper was killed with his own weapon). The old troopers fought strong side holsters for years because--------------that's the way it always has been..
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5312 users online. 284 members and 5028 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X