Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anybody Else Here Feel Bad Or Guilty When Using Sick Time?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anybody Else Here Feel Bad Or Guilty When Using Sick Time?

The reason I ask that is I went in and had a plantar wart sprayed with the liquid nitrogen a couple of nights ago. I had remaining sick time, which we don't carry over from year to year. That is to say that we use it or we lose it. So, I figured rather than work with a sore foot, I called in and used two days of sick time. For some reason I always feel a little bad and a bit guilty when I call in. (Maybe it is because I am a recovering Catholic and we always feel guilt!1) Anyway, does anybody else here feel that same way or is it just me?

Yes, the 2 times I called in sick to work (had all my wisdom teeth removed because they got impacted so I was sick for a week) and had a high fever I felt terrible about calling in sick, even though the reasons were as legitimate as they get. I guess it's better then my co-worker who used sick time because he got arrested for discon and open container!

Comment

I've taken sick leave for a severe cold once or twice, Swine Flu (mild case), and food poisoning. It's there for a reason, I don't feel guilty about it because I use it for what it is intended for. Plus I rarely use it anyways, we can roll-over up to 180 days figured on an 8 hour schedule (even though we work 12's)
      SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

Yes.

I actually called out sick the last few days because of a head cold. I've been miserable.

I'd much rather be healthy and at work.
        Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

It sucks having to use your sick days when your really sick. (ok, just kidding)
          Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

Nope, I took doc-ordered sick time after a minor surgery, and to make a Dr's appointment or two...don't feel bad about it at all. Better than using vacation for the same thing!
            summer - winter - work

Comment

Cant remember,10 years on this dept.and I took 3 days a few years ago for a pulled hamstring.Was supposed to be 2 weeks but I "adjusted" the date.When the new sheriff took over 4 years ago I lost about 500 hours,another new guy is coming in ,in July and it will probably happen again.
              Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Yep...because where I work if someone calls in sick, usually another staff member is mandated to stay another 8 hours. I get mandated all the time...so I make sure I feel like I am death's door before i call off sick. In fact, I was mandated tonight.... Gonna be a good 40+ hours awake before i am gonna get the chance to sleep because of it.
                'Evil always wins when Good does nothing'-Anonymous

Comment

I never use my sick days for me. They're mostly used when my kids are sick.
                  Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

You have sick days for a reason. If your sick days rolled over, you might have gone into work. In your current situation you have no incentive to do so, so don't worry about it. If anyone should feel bad, it should be your employer.

Comment

If you're sick, GO SICK! Remember, the job will not love you back for not using your sick days.

Comment

Originally posted by gunslash View Post
                        If you're sick, GO SICK! Remember, the job will not love you back for not using your sick days.
                        +1 at the end of the day your health is most important, just dont take sick days for a trip to the fair with your kids...

Comment

Think of it as an "Officer Safety" issue. If you are sick and go in there are several things that can go wrong. Your endurance normally sucks, so if your partner needs you to stay in the fight do you really want to be there at 50% of your normally abilities?

You may be contagious. Go to work and spread the joy.

If you are taking any medications, even Over the Counter, it may effect your ability to respond appropriately.

If you are sick, going to work does not allow your body to rest and recover, thereby increasing the chance of becoming sicker / or prolonging your illness.

If you are a worker, then your coworkers know that you only call in sick when you have to. If you call in sick every "Friday," then find another job.

In ten years from now when someone mentions your name are they going to talk about what good officer you are or say, "Thay guy/gal took a bunch of sick leave."?
                          Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

i use to feel guilty but screw it. just about every one does it. they will talk smack if you call out or if you come in sick. it's your time if you are unable to preform properly or at the risk of injuring yourself or coworker. and as a catholic, the only guilt i feel is leaving alcohol behind.
                            dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

Sick time is counted the same as vacation time here (non-union plant).

But I still feel guilty.
                              This Space For Rent

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3101 users online. 136 members and 2965 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X