300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ingested some nasty sheet at work tonight

So, I get into a foot chase tonight at work, catch up to the suspect in a wooded area with a lot of standing water from days of rain causing overflowing from drainage ditches and nearby rivers and lakes (none of which are what could remotely be described as sanitary) and in a most graceful moment of balance and dexterity, send us both tumbling into a large pool of the aforementioned standing water. Upon impacting the water, my mouth is wide open from breathing heavily (we were running you see) and I ingest what I would describe as a man-sized gulp of this nasty arse water. In the end, the suspect goes to jail and while writing up the arrest report in the back of the ambulance (poor fella was suffering from hypothermia) I contact my supervisor to let him know about my ingestion of some nasty sheet and that I would be filling out an OJI this evening. Course, by the time all is said, done, and transported, and I get back to the station, the shift is well since over and my supervisor is gone. Talked with the next shifts supervisors who begrudgingly printed me off some OJI paperwork, told me to take it home, fill it out, and bring it to my supervisor tomorrow. Course, should I get extremely sick between now and then, well, I guess we'll jump off that bridge if/when the time comes. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this joy. Course, my concerns are of parasites, worms, ya know....funky sheet like that. If anyone has ingested similar nasty sheet on duty, how did that go for you, and did your dept. cover it medically, or just say, ehhhh, that officer could have gotten sick from any number of things. Thanks for bearing with me on the long post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases
    It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

Comment

You should have immediately disinfected your entire body (shower) and take a trip to the ER to get any precautionary shots.

Comment

Hmmm...these come to mind.................guardia, algae blooms, animal poop/ pee just to name a few more. If you didn't get diarreah.......ya might be okay. You might want to ask Monty.

As long as you fill out the OJI report you should be covered....for anything that shows up.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
          You should have immediately disinfected your entire body (shower) and take a trip to the ER to get any precautionary shots.
          +1. Water can have all kinds of nastiness.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
          (")_(")
          Copy and paste Bunny into your
          signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

+2 for jannino.

Would immediately regurgitating the ingested swamp stew lower chances for waterborne diseases?
            Last edited by mvill203; 12-06-2011, 10:10 AM. Reason: can't spell fancy term for vomit

Comment

Originally posted by mvill203 View Post
              +2 for jannino.

Would immediately regurgitating the ingested swamp stew lower chances for waterborne diseases?
              Maybe chug a pint of JD just to sterilize it ?? :-)
              Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Western medecine doesn't have much available for worms or internal parasites. Sadly you can pick up parasites just walking around barefoot in some place in the US.
                I came back from an overseas trip with some bugs. and it was not the MD who helped me, it was the guy who ran the help food store. One of the most effective way to kill pin worms and giardia is distilled oil of basil and oregano. Same stuff you put in spagetti ,only 1000x stronger.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                (")_(")
                Copy and paste Bunny into your
                signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

This may seem as too simple but did you start chugging a ton of bottled water to help flush your system out? I can't see it doing anything but good. But a trip to the doc is what you'll really need just to be safe in my opinion.

Comment

^^^ That will mess up his electrolytes or what have you!
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                      ^^^ That will mess up his electrolytes or what have you!
                      +1 Too much water too quickly = water intoxication. Could cause kidney damage and a host of other problems.
                      It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

Comment

Better see the doctor. Did you ever see cabin fever?

Comment

or Night of the Creeps........or Poltergeist 2 after Craig T. Nelson drinks the demon tequila.

Comment

For now on just dont eat after midnight and dont look at bright lights.

Comment

Do your OJI rpt and you should be covered. My advice got anyone involved in any OJI incident, report it asap.

I had a wrist injury a couple of months ago while on the job, but didnt report it because I didn't think it was going to be anything major. 5 weeks later, it was still bothering me a bit and I went to see my own Dr. on my own time. Got told to wear a brace for a week and see how it helps. Showed up to work wearing the brace a few days later and I'm essentially forced by admin to go to light duty and forced to see their Dr and file worker's comp. Light duty for a week and then when workers comp denied the claim, I had to get a dr's release before I could go back to work. Twas a bunch of bull crap but my claim was denied because of the time frame. Considering you reported it when it happened, you should have no worries.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8715 users online. 409 members and 8306 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X