300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it were legal?

Say Hell freezes over and the next President decides that Marijuana Laws should be left up to the States to decide on, and you live in a State that allows it.

Would you grow it if you could make twice what you currently make doing it? Or would you stay away from it even though it was legal?

Legal Marijuna

While the thought of becoming a pot farmer might be appealing to some folks, I doubt very much that they'd make "twice what they do now" -- or even close to it. If it were decriminalized, much of the profit motive would be taken away instantly and the lucrative nature of the drug trade would disppear.

Supply and demand would reach a point of equilibrium very quickly, I presume, and we'd all have to keep on making a living with little fanfare.

As I live in VA, I don't see our generally assembly being affected very much by the 'pot lobby' anytime soon.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

During WW 2, many Midwest (especially in Iowa----yes my grandfather was one of them ) farmers grew marijuana to use as hemp. They did this under contract wth the United States Military.

"Hemp for Victory"

During World War II, imports of hemp and other materials crucial for producing marine cordage, parachutes, and other military necessities became scarce. In response the U.S. Department of Agriculture launched its "Hemp for Victory" program, encouraging farmers to plant hemp by giving out seeds and granting draft deferments to those who would stay home and grow hemp. By 1943 American farmers registered in the program harvested 375,000 acres of hemp.

In effect it was just a cash crop just like Corn or Soybeans.

However as it has already been pointed out-----If it was legal ---the profit point would be much lower than it is now-----and it would just be again a cash crop once more.---Probably traded on the Chicago Board of Trade or the Commodities Futures.
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 11-19-2011, 02:06 PM.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'd still say away from it. Mainly because I have no wish to be a farmer. If it were legal, you'd need to be growing much more than your basement could handle to make a decent living.

Also on a slightly different note, one of the depts I want to move over to already made it clear, legal or not, they will not take anyone that has used MJ past the current state standard.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
        (")_(")
        Copy and paste Bunny into your
        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

I'm a recovering alcoholic. I view my sobriety as the chief asset in my life that makes all other things possible.

Would I use it? No.

Would I grow it to make 2X the money I make now? No. Because every slapd!ck dope-smoker who could till some soil, drop a seed and aim a water hose would render MJ a cashless crop.
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Why? So I can keep watch all day and night over my crop because a bunch of lazy stoners will keep stealing it instead of getting jobs and buying it? No thanks! I think it would bring a whole host of problems that a corn or wheat farmer wouldn't have to put up with.
            Originally posted by RSGSRT
            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I wouldn't grow it, but I'd sure as hell invest in it. Let someone else do the labor and I'll reap the profits.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I don't get involved with beer now so I would not be involved with that either.

Comment

The President, Congress and the States might have a problem, since they're required by international law to restrict the cultivation of cannabis - Arts 23 & 28 of Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Manxman View Post
                    The President, Congress and the States might have a problem, since they're required by international law to restrict the cultivation of cannabis - Arts 23 & 28 of Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs.
                    International law? Are we supposed to abide by those?

Comment

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                      International law? Are we supposed to abide by those?
                      Admittedly you all don't have a great track record in that regard

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                        I wouldn't grow it, but I'd sure as hell invest in it. Let someone else do the labor and I'll reap the profits.
                        If it were legal it would handed over to the ATF for regulation AND/OR the pharma companies would lobby congress to give over to them AND/OR ADM would corner the market. Pot would mean big $$$. It would pretty much be taken off the hands of regular people anyway. The government would charge a pot excise tax or something.

...and there would finally be research to show that pot smoking causes enphazema and cancer just like tobacco. There is more tar, sap and particulate matter in pot smoke. Always strange that my ganga-friendly friends will fuss over organic food and filtered water, but continue to wreck their lungs.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                        (")_(")
                        Copy and paste Bunny into your
                        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Don't do it
                          Last edited by jeremy.ball.01; 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy.ball.01 View Post
                            If you are LE, why would you want to take something to affect your ability to do your job? Pretty stupid in my opinion. Just imagine you get in fight ( high), and all can do is laugh all awhile some dirtbag steals your service pistol and shoots you in the chest. It is illegal for a reason. Keep it that way.
                            Since because drink alcohol off-duty we come to work drunk? This argument is irrelevant.

I think most of us don't do this job because it's the most money we can earn. I think a more interesting question would be how many would use it. I bet after a generation or two of pot being legal many would, but if it was legalized tomorrow I don't think we would all be hitting the pipe Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy.ball.01 View Post
                              If you are LE, why would you want to take something to affect your ability to do your job? Pretty stupid in my opinion. Just imagine you get in fight ( high), and all can do is laugh all awhile some dirtbag steals your service pistol and shoots you in the chest. It is illegal for a reason. Keep it that way.
                              So are you making the bold assumption that we'd all smoke it at work? Do you think we all drive around drunk while on duty? There's a time and a place for everything.
                              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5247 users online. 310 members and 4937 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X