Policy Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policy Help

I'm looking for help on writing a couple of policies. In my PD we have purchased a few 22 rifles to humanely put down injured wildlife. Currently the Officer uses his/her sidearm. Its a lot easier and quieter in some of our more residential areas to (when possible) walk up close and discharge the small caliber rifle. Does anyone have something that I could use for guidance?

Also I am looking to implement patrol rifles. Due to budgetary constraints, I will not be able to purchase them for Officers so I was hoping to come up with a policy so they can purchase their own if they wish while we supply ammo and qualifications? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

It's too late now, but I would have suggest 17HMR instead of 22lr, less chance of bouncing a bullet around, 22 is about the worst caliber in that respect. At a gun club we had 2 board members fishing in a pond 1/4 mile from the club, they saw bullets hitting the water....zipped over to the club and a guy was sighting in a 22 and the bullets were hitting the top edge of a pine 2x4 and thus leaving the park, that with a backstop 25 feet high, with huge pine trees on top of it (range dug into a hill so the top of the backstop is level ground actually.

There is only 17 grains of bullet in the 17 hmr instead of 40 with the 22lr, and it is going fast enough to break up more easily on impact. It is more expensive, but how many will you really use anyway ?

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Thanks for the input

Good points about the .22 Bill. Got them for next to nothing so it was a no-brainer at the time. We only have three of them so the expense overall wouldn't be a problem. I'll look into the 17 HMR tho. Thank you.

Comment

If you have ever seen an experienced person use a rifle to put down or slaughter animals it has a huge advantage over a pistol usually. One thing from past experience, do NOT use hollowpoint ammo, it in many cases will NOT go through a hogs skull even at point blank range...and it it will not do that it might not work on other species either. 40 grain round nose will.

Do they train you guys on how to kill an animal such as a Deer when the need arises ? Or is that taught more 1 on 1 in early field training ??

Bill

Comment

Training

No real training is done in that area. It's pretty much one on one field training. I have a couple of hunters on my PD and they pass along their experiences. This all stemmed from an injured deer that needed to be destroyed. Unfortunately, we were about150 yards from our high school which was in the middle of a football game. We normally just use our sidearm (Glock 23 with 180 JHP ammo) to destroy animals. I would not allow anyone to fire their Glock. Not because of the danger to the crowd. We had a safe back drop. I was more concerned about the panioc of someone hearing the shot. One of my guys went home and grabbed a 22 rifle he had walked up and shot the deer right behind the ear. No one heard a thing and the deer died immediately. I then figured the 22 was a good idea. Deer are really the only wildlife we have to put down regularly around here. Thanks again for the input.

Comment

Wow, interesting in a bad way. I hit a deer on my way home from work last night. Hit the thing square in on in a 2004 silverado...and maybe hit him again before he rolled off the road. Was going 55 and the first I saw of him was 1/2 a truck length in front of me. I figured he was pretty mangled so I did not want the carcass..but within 5 minutes of the call a guy drove up that wanted it (this was at 12:15am) apparently he sits home ans listens to the scanner then calls dispatch to get the dead ones he can get.

I know the deer was dead, I poked it in the eye with my finger...but they guy decided it might not be dead and asked the deputy to shoot it to be sure, so the deputy put one in it's head.

I asked him if they got trained on that and he said "nope"...they just learn it by doing, he said the first one he shot he gave it 4 shots in the lungs and it did not die, so he gave it one in the head, then it did. Said it rattled him the first time because every time he had shot before it was with ear protection, he laughingly agreed that only the first shot is loud without ear protection.

Bill

Comment

I'm not sure if you have ever noticed, but some experimenting will confirm my theory to you probably, if the muzzle of a rifle is close to the target there is no sonic crack from the bullet...this is even true of larger calibers than 22lr.

But as I said from first hand experience the hollow points like rem golden bullets may not do the job, and make a real mess of the project...they might be GREAT (or stingers) for smaller rabid animals however because they will not exit the animal. Maybe a hog skull is thicker than a deer skull too I dunno.

I heard a story about a couple guys who slaughtered animals inside some kind of room that the walls were all steel plate, and all they had was a surplus mauser 98 with 8x57 fmj ammo, bullets would zing all around the place with every shot.

Bill

Comment

It's REALLY thinking ahead to have a firearm solely for the task of putting down injured wildlife. I have transported a dog before because I was in a high traffic area without a safe backdrop... the dog died before I could do the job. That was fine, less paperwork... but I felt bad having to watch it suffer.

Cutting the jugular is very painless, quick, efficient, and discrete. Obviously not always appropriate (don't really want people watching you do it), and not for the faint of heart, but is quiet effective when you can't safely shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post

I heard a story about a couple guys who slaughtered animals inside some kind of room that the walls were all steel plate, and all they had was a surplus mauser 98 with 8x57 fmj ammo, bullets would zing all around the place with every shot.

Bill
                  That made Trigger giggle.....Used ta' do alot of varmint calling/trapp'in..the usual..yotes, bobs, skunks, etc...for quick kill, plain ole 40 gr. Rim fire always worked fine...Also for deer sized game...Wouldn't think of it fer' large dangerous stufff though..unless all drunked up on francis crap. (insert smile thingy here)

Thar' there is .22 rimfire subsonic..problem is the case length seems ta' be only in Long, not L.R....being such the charge is lighter so forget recoil operated long guns.. ( I used an old cheap Rem. 581s)
                  Last edited by asullivan; 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM. Reason: secret stuffy thats what....
                  Originally posted by mookster
                  Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                  Originally posted by CityCopDC
                  I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                  Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                  I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                  -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Hey,
                    As already been pointed out a 22 is a bad gun for a cop to put down wildlfe. The velocity of the shot is trouble. Someone once told me the #1 gun used in assassinations is a 22 caliber because of this very thing.... but I am not sure of that....anyway

Just a few pointers from our policy regarding this.

1) Must notify a supervisor of intent and get approval before discharging firearm for destruction of an animal, providing time and situations allows prior approval with safety in mind.
                    2) Must complete discharge of firearm report, detailing incident and reason for destruction of animal
                    3) Notify dispatch in advance of firing shots if it will be near a residential area where a citizen may interpret the shots as a police emergency.

Best of luck
                    Retired 02/01/13

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10375 users online. 379 members and 9996 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                    X