Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law Enforcement employment question...

I am looking at getting into the field of Law Enforcement or Criminal Investigation. I have been an engineer for 10 years and I am getting a little bored with it and want to purse my first love, criminal justice. I have a college degree, 8 yrs active duty US Navy (plus still in the reserves) but most positions I have inquired about like Federal Air Marshall, US Customs, ATF, etc the MAX age is 37 and I'm 38. Anyone have any ideas?

(Sorry if this is not in the correct forum)

Any Federal job that is considered "Law Enorcement" has a max. entry age of 37 and mandatory retirement at 57.

There are other jobs that are investigative (1810 series) in nature, they just do not deal with anything criminal.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else therafter." --Hemingway

Comment

Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but with his prior military service doesnt he get an age waiver?

Comment

My best suggestion is don't go federal. You can make more money and get a better retirement with many State agencies. With your engineering background, you would be a desirable candidate to many East Coast State Police Agencies or large local agencies. Computer related crimes are getting more and more attention all the time. Also, it's just a presonal pet peeve of mine, but I feel every Investigator should have spent at least a little time pushing a patrol car around some dirt or pavement somewhere. Shop around. NYSP is a wonderful agency from everything I've heard. The internet is full of information on most large agencies. Here in Vegas we are opening more and more computer related units all the time. We recently started a fed/local task force dealing with internet pedophiles and we have computer fraud units plus and intelligence (organized crime) unit that uses computer gurus. You may find you just like driving around chasing drunk stupid people as well. That's what happened to me. I did the detective thing and the honeymoon was over in about 3 months. I went back to uniform on a motorcycle and have had a blast. Of course, I just got run over again 2 days ago for the second time in 9 months so I may have to think about going back in a cage (car) sometime in the future here. This body will only take so many hits.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat:
          I just got run over again 2 days ago
          Tell us more. What happened?
          FREE Website Development for Law Enforcement
          <a href="http://police-websites.org" target="_blank">http://police-websites.org</a>

Comment

Geez, DR. Sounds like you have those Vegas lights across your motor flashing, HIT ME! I'M THE DESERT RAT! This wasn't as bad as the last one was it?

That's not you who ended up in the concrete barrier is it?

[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: WCall ]
            Contrary to popular belief, knowledge is not power. Without wisdom, knowledge is useless.

Comment

This one was no big deal. I was working OT on a road paving gig on the strip. Some lady swung through the closed lanes. I stopped her, pointed her the right direction, and then was walking back to where I had been standing. She looked over her shoulder to watch traffic, cranked her wheels to the right, and hit the accelerator without looking where she was headed. She bumped me on the right leg just below the knee which threw me up on the hood. No big deal, scared me more than anything. Little bruising and cramping and knocked the right hip out of place again. (from the last accident) Nothing a trip to the chiropractor can't fix. I finished the shift, just limped a bit.

The fellow that went into the wall is paralized from the waist down. That is the second one in less than a year to end up paralized. Rumor has it two of the resident officers from out here in my neck of the woods are retiring in December and I'm thinking reeeeeal seriously about coming back out here. I LOVE working motors but a body can only take so much.

Comment

Glad to hear this one was minor, DR. Hate it for you, but it sounds like a change right now might be a wise decision.

Our prayers are with your Metro brother. I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like.
                Contrary to popular belief, knowledge is not power. Without wisdom, knowledge is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecOpsWarrior:
                  Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but with his prior military service doesnt he get an age waiver?
                  From what I've read, the only federal service that counts is prior federal service as a sworn civilian LEO. Military service doesn't count since federal LEOs have a different retirement plan.

Having said that, the Army CID, Air Force OSI, or Navy NIS MAY count prior military service time for their positions. If that doesn't pan out, you can always re-enlist in the military and go into LE. You may even be able to get MOS 95D (Criminal Investigator) in the Army because of your qualifications. Not sure if that's something you'd be interested in though.

Comment

Thanks guys! You've really given me some things to think about. With my Computer Engineering background (geekeness!) I'm really looking into a Computer Crime UNit or possibly even Computer Forensic type work. Thank you!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3274 users online. 148 members and 3126 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X