California Personnel / HR question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Personnel / HR question

I'm going to post this here in case one of our non-LEO has an answer.

I took our Sergeants test last year and did not pass. There are five parts to the test and the city did not give the applicants their individual scores for each of the five parts. I was only told I did not score over the minimum 70% that was needed to go on to the chief's oral. Of the six that did take the test only three passed above 70 and their scores were 72, 74, & 75.
    The city told us losers ( ) they were going to keep the both the total scores along with a breakdown of the scoring for the individual parts of the process confidential.

I'm now contemplating taking the test again and want to know where I was weak so I can concentrate on specific areas. I'm not looking for the test questions, I understand why those can be treated as confidential.

Anybody know what legal authority the city would have to keep the scores secret? Is there some state version of a FOIA request or are personnel actions exempt from anything like that?

I figure they're probably regulated by the CA Government Code but I'm having trouble finding the authority I need to demand my scores.

[ 01-08-2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: LeeRoy ]
    If you see me running try to keep up!

I believe that you are looking for the California Public Records Act. It begins with section 6250 of the California Government Code and ends about section 6270. I frankly haven't done any research to see if this applies directly to your situation. Your union may have the answer to this question.

The California Code, including the California Government Code, can be accessed online at this site: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html.

Good luck.

[ 01-08-2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Underdog ]

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7836 users online. 243 members and 7593 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
    X