300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew 5:33-37

In Matthew 5:33 through 5:37, Jesus basically says that people should not swear any oaths at all. Instead, people should simply answer yes or no.

This is something that has bothered me from time to time. One of the first things I had to do upon joining the police department was to swear an oath. Since then, I have had to swear an oath every time I have testified, have been deposed, or have completed cerain paper work.

While I am no longer as religious as I once was, this conflict continues to bother me. At times, I have considered informing the Deputy District Attorney and the court clerk of my religious objections to swearing an oath. I've never done so. I've just sworn the oath, occassionaly prayed for forgiveness, and gone about my business.

Does this issue ever bother anyone else? If so, how do you handle the apparent conflict?

quote:
    In Matthew 5:33 through 5:37, Jesus basically says that people should not swear any oaths at all. Instead, people should simply answer yes or no.
    People have been debating what Jesus "basically" said for 2000 years....Around here you have the option of "affirming" if you don't want to "swear" an oath in court.

Comment

Underdog, Check your PM.

Comment

Interestingly, the Constitution gives the president elect the opportunity to swear or affirm. Although every president has included them, the words "so help me God" are not actually part of the oath as it appears in the Constitution.

Has anybody here ever "affirmed" rather than just sworn the oath?

Comment

We "swear or affirm" here.

Comment

It is rather funny with me; if you ever were to hang around me you would pick up real quick that I have a mouth that wont stop at times. But every time I have to go to court, I get with the clerk before hand and tell them that I would rather affirm. When I get called they do it that way. I know it sounds real funny to swear all day long then have to testify and want to affirm. I often wonder why I do it that way, but have no answer my self just one of the funny things I do I guess

Comment

Underdog,

quote:
              Originally posted by Underdog:

This is something that has bothered me from time to time. One of the first things I had to do upon joining the police department was to swear an oath. Since then, I have had to swear an oath every time I have testified, have been deposed, or have completed cerain paper work.

While I am no longer as religious as I once was, this conflict continues to bother me. At times, I have considered informing the Deputy District Attorney and the court clerk of my religious objections to swearing an oath. I've never done so. I've just sworn the oath, occassionaly prayed for forgiveness, and gone about my business.

Does this issue ever bother anyone else? If so, how do you handle the apparent conflict?

While Matthew 5:34-37 forbids the taking of any kind of oath, such oaths are approved in many places in the bible.
              Retired

Comment

Here is what Matthew 5:33-37 actually says...

33 "Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34 But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

PM me if you would like more insight into this verse as I have a commentary for it which may clear up any confusion.

Comment

Godside,

quote:
                  Originally posted by Godside:
                  Here is what Matthew 5:33-37 actually says...

33 "Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34 But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

PM me if you would like more insight into this verse as I have a commentary for it which may clear up any confusion.

That is just one of several versions of the bible. The KJV has it worded differently.
                  Retired

Comment

Retired, you're exactly right. That was the New Internation Version. I posted the verse itself to allow readers to get a better grasp on what the verse says as opposed to hearing what it "basically says".

Comment

These verses simply mean that one is to keep their word when they give it. When asked if you will give the truth answer yes, but do not add, "So help me God," or "On my Mother's Grave," "by God's green earth" etc. because these are not thing that you have dominion over. Simply affirm that you give your word to tell the truth. "Yea, Yea, Nay, nay." Nothing more is needed.

What's the first thing we know when someone tells you in an interview, "I'll swear on a stack of bibles." They're lying.

Comment

I was unexpectedly unable to get to the computer for a while. I would like to thank everyone for their answers. I think that I might be more comfortable going with an affirmation rather than an oath. Perhaps I will try that next time I am called upon to testify.

Comment

That's true DesertRat, absolutely true. What gets me is we, as a society, have gotten so far away from the place where yes did mean yes, and no meant no. A man's word used to be a bond, such that "a handshake and his word" were all you'd need. Now we have to have fifteen pages of garbage just to sell a frisbee. I try to live my life IAW HIS word, and yes being yes/no being no, is part of it. Can't stress enough to MY kids about the consequences of lying or even failing to tell the truth by not saying anything at all.

Wishing for the old days.....

Peace
                          American by Birth, Aggie By Choice, TEXAN by the grace of God...

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, what matters is the size of the fight in the dog."

Comment

It is nice to know there are those who still care about things like that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5551 users online. 341 members and 5210 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X