X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troy Davis denied clemency.

Good work Georgia.......

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/20...or-troy-davis/

Georgia's pardons board rejected Tuesday a last-ditch plea for clemency from death row inmate Troy Davis despite high-profile support for his claim that he was wrongly convicted of killing a police officer in 1989.

Davis is set to die on Wednesday for the killing of off-duty Savannah officer Mark MacPhail, who was murdered while rushing to help a homeless man being attacked. It is the fourth time in four years his execution has been scheduled by Georgia officials.

Steve Hayes, spokesman for the Board of Pardons and Paroles, said the panel decided to rejected Davis' request for clemency after hearing hours of testimony from his supporters and prosecutors.

The decision appeared to leave Davis with little chance of avoiding the execution date. Defense attorney Jason Ewart has said that the pardons board was likely Davis' last option.

Davis' lawyers have long argued Davis was a victim of mistaken identity. But prosecutors say they have no doubt that they charged the right person with the crime.

MacPhail's relatives said they were relieved by the decision. "That's what we wanted, and that's what we got," said Anneliese MacPhail, the victim's mother. "We wanted to get it over with, and for him to get his punishment."

"Justice was finally served for my father," said Mark MacPhail Jr., who was an infant when his father was gunned down. "The truth was finally heard."

Kim Davis, the inmate's sister, declined immediate comment on the decision.
    Amnesty International USA director Larry Cox said in a statement that the decision was "unconscionable."

"Should Troy Davis be executed, Georgia may well have executed an innocent man and in so doing discredited the justice system," Cox said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/20...#ixzz1YVZWEnxn

MacPhail was shot to death Aug. 19, 1989, after coming to the aid of Larry Young, a homeless man who was pistol-whipped in a Burger King parking lot. Prosecutors say Davis was with another man who was demanding that Young give him a beer when Davis pulled out a handgun and bashed Young with it. When MacPhail arrived to help, they say Davis had a smirk on his face when he shot the officer to death.
    That should let you know how I feel about it.
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

I just read this today, I feel very bad for the officer's family.

Some one made a comment in one of the comments section saying that there are some crimes that cry out for the death penalty because of the heinous acts perpetrated.

There were 7 black, and 5 white people, and yet in one of his appeals, he is claiming racial disparity. I find this a very bad argument to make in front of the GSC.

People need to stop using the color of their skin as an excuse for them being found guilty.

Comment

He's gonna get juiced.

Comment

Fox News is running pro Davis pieces, just saw one on Sheppard Smith show, and yesterday Megan Kelly was all over how could they put this poor guy to death without evidence…. Of course being anti cop is nothing new for Kelly.
          Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

sigpic
            Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
            And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

They are showing clips of Al Sharpton just running straight through the DOC security team causing a fuss. It's been the news every day and night here for a week.. it's so annoying.

Comment

I wish I could be in GA tonight when the lights dim......

Comment

I think showing it on PPV would be a great source of revenue for the state

Comment

He dead yet?
                    Originally posted by crass cop
                    Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Nope.. 7pm EST

Comment

Buh-Bye dirtbag......

Comment

You know, its hard to find out what any of the facts actually are.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if EVERY SINGLE appeal in EVERY SINGLE court of law or judicial board of review has gone against him.

EVERY single one.

That tells me that a lot of independently thinking people have arrived at the same conclusion: there is no significant conflict of evidence for anyone who has the whole story.

I just wish the rest of us could actually GET the whole story without the news trying to put in clips of this, that, and the other anti-death-penalty executive being thrown throughout every bit of supposition and insinuation they can throw in there.
                          -------------------------------
                          You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
                            Fox News is running pro Davis pieces, just saw one on Sheppard Smith show, and yesterday Megan Kelly was all over how could they put this poor guy to death without evidence…. Of course being anti cop is nothing new for Kelly.
                            Please don't talk about my girlfriend like that. Thanks!
                            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball-Six View Post
                              You know, its hard to find out what any of the facts actually are.

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if EVERY SINGLE appeal in EVERY SINGLE court of law or judicial board of review has gone against him.

EVERY single one.

That tells me that a lot of independently thinking people have arrived at the same conclusion: there is no significant conflict of evidence for anyone who has the whole story.

I just wish the rest of us could actually GET the whole story without the news trying to put in clips of this, that, and the other anti-death-penalty executive being thrown throughout every bit of supposition and insinuation they can throw in there.
                              From what I have gathered reading news stories, seeing a rally to support the officer's family, seeing where the crime happened, and talking with Savannah officer's, this is what I believe happened:

Officer MacPhail, an officer with Savannah Police (before their merger to be Metro) was working off duty security at the downtown Greyhound Bus station. Next to the station was a Burger King (now closed) where a groups of men, including the accused (Davis), tried to rob a homeless man. They began beating the man, who started yelling for help, drawing the officer's attention. Officer MacPhail ran over to help the man and was shot once in the stomach, and then again in the head by Davis. Davis fled and somehow made it to Atlanta, where he stayed until a family member talked him into coming back to Savannah.

As for all the witnesses changing their stories years later, I think it is part of neighborhood pressure. I am not a huge believer in the death penalty, but cop killers make my short list of those who deserve it (along with rapist and child molesters).
                              Originally posted by Ceridwen
                              Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5961 users online. 374 members and 5587 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X