Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article on National Carry Reciprocity: Are you for or against it?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Article on National Carry Reciprocity: Are you for or against it?

    .


    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-congress.html



    Concealed Guns Backed by 243 in U.S. House


    By John Crewdson - Sep 11, 2011 11:01 PM CT


    If Congress adopts a bill that the National Rifle Association is pushing, Florida’s licenses would apply to 49 states in all -- allowing their holders to carry hidden guns in places such as midtown Manhattan, where the New York Police Department rejects most such applications for “concealed- carry” permits.




    It appears that this National Carry Reciprocity may pass.




    Are you for or against it and why?



    .

  • #2
    Well, as a Californian it ticks me off, because those carrying now would invariably be non residents.

    I as a police academy graduate, and army reservist can’t get a CCW because I’m a California resident, but Billy Bob redneck visiting Disneyland from out of state could.

    So yea, that irks me quite a bit.

    I say one may as well allow the “age of consent” law to be allowed to cross state lines as well. If one has a Mississippi driver’s license then they are good to go.
    _____________
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm against it. We have loads of people now who live here but use an address from another state like Virginia to get cheap car insurance and then live in NY and drive their car with Virginia plates.

      I could just imagine all the people who live here getting a Vermont address to get a permit and then living here with a Vermont permit.

      If you want to live in a state with easy CCW, move to a state with easy CCW.
      “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
        Well, as a Californian it ticks me off, because those carrying now would invariably be non residents.

        I as a police academy graduate, and army reservist can’t get a CCW because I’m a California resident, but Billy Bob redneck visiting Disneyland from out of state could.

        So yea, that irks me quite a bit.

        I say one may as well allow the “age of consent” law to be allowed to cross state lines as well. If one has a Mississippi driver’s license then they are good to go.
        Also if you were even able to get one in California you still would not be able to carry in others states because a lot of states don't accept California's CCW's in their states.

        Get an Arizona CCW so if this passes you might be able to carry in California.....doubt it though. Also, even though you don't need one to carry in Arizona you still can use it to go to other states with it.
        Last edited by valetudo39; 09-12-2011, 01:25 PM.
        Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm for national carry and reciprocity. I've been a police officer for 7 years, and I am immune from this due to HR218; however, if all the other states honor everyone's driver license, why not the gun permit? I think it's ludicrous to tell someone who has qualified to carry a weapon in AMERICA that they can't carry it EVERYWHERE in America. This is the same mentality that makes restaurant owners think that just because they put a "no guns" sign in the window, that all the little bad guys will stop, turn around, and put their pieces back in the car.

          And, in reply to valetudo39, Tennessee recognizes ALL other states' handgun permits, even if they don't recognize ours, so you could at least carry it here.

          Comment


          • #6
            The bill “effectively prevents a state from controlling who has guns within the state, which has always been a core police power function of state government,” said John Donohue, a professor at Stanford Law School, who said he thinks it would be held unconstitutional. “It is so ironic that it is the conservatives who are trying to push this encroachment, since they usually are very active in championing states’ rights.”


            What's ironic is that the 2nd Amendment is a National Right, it doesn't extend to citizen's of one state, but not another.




            What's also important to note is that although it has not been ruled upon yet by SCOTUS the 2nd Amendment states, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.", it does not say "the right of the people to keep and bear arms in their homes".



            Currently anti-2nd Amendment critics say that the 2nd Amendment only applies to inside your home and that is obviously incorrect.



            The Constitution gives rights to the people in every part of the US, not just certain states.

            .

            Comment


            • #7
              I am not against concealed carry....

              But on the surface I feel this is a state issue that the federal government shouldn't be getting involved with.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by NYCDep View Post
                I'm against it. We have loads of people now who live here but use an address from another state like Virginia to get cheap car insurance and then live in NY and drive their car with Virginia plates.

                I could just imagine all the people who live here getting a Vermont address to get a permit and then living here with a Vermont permit.

                If you want to live in a state with easy CCW, move to a state with easy CCW.


                NYCDep, we aren't talking about drivers insurance. This is a Constitutional right.



                How would it be if you had free speech in Mn but not in NY. Should people have to move to NY to enjoy their free speech rights?




                In all reality, unless you are a felon or mentally challenged you should be able to own a gun without a permit.


                What other right do Americans have that they need a "permit" to exercise?


                Can you imagine if you needed a "permit" for speech or a permit to write for a newspaper?

                .

                .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HEDP View Post
                  NYCDep, we aren't talking about drivers insurance. This is a Constitutional right.



                  How would it be if you had free speech in Mn but not in NY. Should people have to move to NY to enjoy their free speech rights?




                  In all reality, unless you are a felon or mentally challenged you should be able to own a gun without a permit.


                  What other right do Americans have that they need a "permit" to exercise?


                  Can you imagine if you needed a "permit" for speech or a permit to write for a newspaper?

                  .

                  .
                  I can't find anything to disagree with, HEDP.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                    I am not against concealed carry....

                    But on the surface I feel this is a state issue that the federal government shouldn't be getting involved with.


                    How can the Federal government not get involved when citizen's Constitutional Rights are being violated?



                    Like I said previously, Constitutional Rights extend to citizen's of all states, not just certain states. CA should not be able to say, "Your Constitutional Rights do not matter in this stated."

                    .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      As I've said before...having to "license" a constituional right is maddening, but, at least the national recognition of a home state permit would force the comunistic states like Kalifornia, New York and New Jersey to get on the train - or get the hell out of the way.

                      While I hate that it is even needed, I pray this bill passes
                      The All New
                      2013
                      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                      - M1Garand

                      (any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)



                      Comment


                      • #12

                        Article 4, Section One of the US Constitution pretty much sums it up..........but yes, I know that the US Constitution is not followed anymore.

                        The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

                        The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

                        ------------------------------------------------

                        "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by HEDP View Post
                          How can the Federal government not get involved when citizen's Constitutional Rights are being violated?



                          Like I said previously, Constitutional Rights extend to citizen's of all states, not just certain states. CA should not be able to say, "Your Constitutional Rights do not matter in this stated."

                          .
                          Please you can make that argument all you want. But concealed carry is not not recognized by the courts as a constitutional right. As far as I am concerned, whether or not to regulate CCW is a complete state issue.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I do NOT trust the federal govt with this one. Once they have the proverbial camel's nose under the tent, they won't be able to resist intruding with federal regulations on ccw.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                              As I've said before...having to "license" a constituional right is maddening, but, at least the national recognition of a home state permit would force the comunistic states like Kalifornia, New York and New Jersey to get on the train - or get the hell out of the way.

                              While I hate that it is even needed, I pray this bill passes
                              You forgot Illinois.
                              sigpic

                              "Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS



                              'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

                              http://www.snipercompany.com/

                              M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3471 users online. 244 members and 3227 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X