X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natwildhorses
    replied
    Originally posted by Krell View Post
    Well law enforcement call centers (911 or not) are required by law to have TDD devices. We have one and we are required to train on how to use it. Have I ever taken a TDD call? No. In fact some centers I've heard of the machines are so obsolete they will literally start to burn up if turned on.

Most people these days use Relay systems over the Internet and such instead of the TDD machines, but we still have to keep one for the chance we get someone who doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecom..._Relay_Service
    Sadly, TDD is an old school. TDD isn't in our systems anymore. We use video relay. The problem is today, so many people still are not update about deaf phone communicate yet. Still, we need text while we on the road or anything that we need help.

Leave a comment:

• kf4vix82
    replied
    Originally posted by yankees24 View Post
    "OMG!!!! @ Bank of America. Guy in gorilla suit lol is robbing bank"
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Peebody
    replied
    theres going to be a lot more BS calls. when people can just drop a quick text about something they don't want the accountabliity of actually discussing w/ a dispatcher....

Leave a comment:

• Krell
    replied
    Originally posted by Natwildhorses View Post
    Since, I am deaf and cannot talk on the phone. Text 911 would be benefit for deaf people who cannot talk on the phone unlike hearing people can. A lot people don't even think about what about deaf people or people who cannot talk? They need to think about that and how to help us...
    Well law enforcement call centers (911 or not) are required by law to have TDD devices. We have one and we are required to train on how to use it. Have I ever taken a TDD call? No. In fact some centers I've heard of the machines are so obsolete they will literally start to burn up if turned on.

Most people these days use Relay systems over the Internet and such instead of the TDD machines, but we still have to keep one for the chance we get someone who doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecom..._Relay_Service

Leave a comment:

• Natwildhorses
    replied
    Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
    I think this will help when calling by voice or making any noise would be a suicidal action, and I'm sure there might be a medical emergency where some people who need EMS are unable to talk so there are non LE benefits with this as well. This will benefit the deaf in any type of emergency as well.
    Yup, I am one of the deaf person. It does benefit for me. Yet, they haven't set that up for us though.

Leave a comment:

• Natwildhorses
    replied
    Since, I am deaf and cannot talk on the phone. Text 911 would be benefit for deaf people who cannot talk on the phone unlike hearing people can. A lot people don't even think about what about deaf people or people who cannot talk? They need to think about that and how to help us...

Leave a comment:

• Aerohead
    replied
    Originally posted by Krell
    I can see an upside though: wouldn't have to deal with someone trying to talk over me telling me nonsense information I don't need.
    Oh God yeah! Like the 6 minute long 911 calls for a possible OWI driver when 5 1/2 minutes is their reaction to how the person is driving and "almost" killing themselves and other people. I SOOO want to tell them to just shut up, listen to my questions, and give me the information I NEED so I can get someone in the area - I don't need to know every little thing that they do while they are doing it - I actually told a caller "I don't need the commentary m'am!" and as soon as I said it I was sure I was going to get in trouble for it (that's the way my place works) but luckily she never complained. On the other hand, could you imagine all the freakin' text messages that they'd send: "Almost hit a tree" "Almost hit a mailbox" "Almost hit another car" blah blah blah.....

Leave a comment:

• KapsFB
    replied
    Great. Now people can send a pic of their undercooked Big Mac when calling 911 to report the horror! "See?"

Leave a comment:

• thatguy188
    replied
    My uneducated guess would be that not knowing if the 911 center got my "text for help" could be a nightmare in itself. Sure, if you're hiding under a desk with a mad-man running around waiving guns and you need to be quiet it's great, however you still won't know if they got it (until they write back) .. the back and forth exchange can take a while; whereas voice its instant.

I don't know how I feel about it, I highly doubt I'd ever "text for help" though.

Leave a comment:

• Krell
    replied
    Originally posted by Item9 View Post
    I agree with the other dispatchers. While this is a great idea in theory, it will be an absolute nightmare. This is how half my phone calls go:

911 What's the address of your emergency?
    -I need a squad here right now, I just got robbed!
    Ok, what's the address?
    -I'm at home!
    Where's your home?
    -[Town name]
    Where in [town] do you live?
    -Main street
    What's the address on Main street?
    -I'm right at Main and 1st, will you just send someone?
    WHAT'S THE ADDRESS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!
    -mumble mumble 23 mumble 1 main
    Can you give that to me again?
    - F man, it's 4231 main can you just send someone??!
    Yeah, tell me what happened.
    -I just got home and someone broke my back window while I was gone, man, I told you, I just got robbed.

Like others said, I can think of extreme situations where texts would be fantastic, but in general it would be the biggest headache on earth. Plus, we get so many cell calls from other towns, I can't imagine how these would find the right place. We'd be calling Chicago every 10 minutes with another text that we got for them.

^ This. So many times I've picked up the phone only to hear "Yea we need a Trooper out here." Ok well apparently I'm supposed to know that here is this county, this road, this cross-street, and that they want the Trooper in the next 2 minutes even though he's on the other side of the county.

At least we don't have 911 calls, we only work traffic. I can see an upside though: wouldn't have to deal with someone trying to talk over me telling me nonsense information I don't need. It'd be all text that I could wade through and pick out on my own.

Leave a comment:

• mavriktu
    replied
    There is another strong reason FOR it.After Katrina we were out of ALL communication for weeks.At one point someone figured out that texts would go through when voice wouldnt.Seems texting uses a lower frequency or something to that efffect,but it WILL work when voice doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• willowdared
    replied
    Originally posted by Susan99
    I'm thinking of 9/11....there were a number of people who called their family and friends from the plane (using cell phones) before the plane crashed in Pennsylvania. In carjacking or kidnapping situations especially, wouldn't texting be useful?
    The issue remains being able to find you. With the newest cell phones, one that is covered by a contract plan, calling from an area with good cell-tower saturation so that the ping hits on 3 towers...we may get a location within a few meters.

Calling from a pre-paid cell in the middle of a rural area? We get the location of the nearest cell tower. And no ability to have the phone re-pinged.

Leave a comment:

• Aerohead
    replied
    Originally posted by Susan99
    I'm thinking of 9/11....there were a number of people who called their family and friends from the plane (using cell phones) before the plane crashed in Pennsylvania. In carjacking or kidnapping situations especially, wouldn't texting be useful?
    Depends. If you were kidnapped and able to use your cell phone, you would be better off being able to dial 911 - that way the GPS in the phone (if equipped) is enabled and can be used much faster by both the cell phone company to gather the GPS coordinates and possibly ping the cell phone and the dispatcher (often directly). I'm sure a cell phone expert would be the one that would be able to attest if a cell phone can be pinged from text phone usage like it can be from regular usage. I think the only way text messages would be useful in the kidnapping/carjacking situation would be if the victim can see where they are and transmit their current location(s) and vehicle description to 911.

And then all of that, of course, depends on if the agencies in the jurisdictions has the resources to investigate the information that is obtained and flood the area looking for the victims; which we all know how seriously lacking proper resources are lately.

Leave a comment:

• Aerohead
    replied
    Originally posted by willowdared View Post
    I once took a call from a woman who was upset because a car with handicap plates was taking up a regular parking spot.
    I'd get in trouble for taking that 911 call because I would not be able to hold my tongue and I would probably say something that my boss wouldn't like but would need to be said.

Leave a comment:

• willowdared
    replied
    ^^Same here, that and the "my kid is refusing to go to school" or "being defiant" calls.

I once took a call from a woman who was upset because a car with handicap plates was taking up a regular parking spot.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3153 users online. 218 members and 2935 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X