300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
    An absolutely terrible and pointless idea.
    I agree....

We can all come up with wild scenarios when texting might be a better option.

However, people can barely get you the information you need when talking on the phone with a dispatcher. In the vast majority of texts I doubt there will be enough information to even get an officer to the area.

Maybe it should be added for a base as technology matures. But I doubt it will do any one any good for some time...
    Last edited by Dingo990; 08-15-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
      I agree....

We can all come up with wild scenarios when texting might be a better option.

However, people can barely get you the information you need when talking on the phone with a dispatcher. In the vast majority of texts I doubt there will be enough information to even get an officer to the area.

Maybe it should be added for a base as technology matures. But I doubt it will do any one any good for some time...
      I disagree on the note that there is a growing segment of our population that communicates more via texting than by spoken word. While the lexicon may seem foreign to the uninitiated, it is a very effective means of communication.

I didn’t delve too deeply into the Text a Tip program, but can attest to its success in several locations. Some folks are just more comfortable sending a tip via SMS than they are talking to a human being. Leads on murders, robberies and other serious crimes have come via texts. Also, several school systems have instituted a similar program in which students can report concerns.
      Is there potential for abuse, misuse and gaps; sure. Is this something that will replace conventional 911; not likely. Is this something that will see greater use; you bet your text.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by Redders View Post
        I have dispatchers that barely know how to answer the phone and ask who, what, where, when, why and how, much less run the central MDT, I'm not sure that we would be able to utilize it to its full extent.
        How much is their hourly wage, and how many hours of training do they get?
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
          How much is their hourly wage, and how many hours of training do they get?
          I could "LOL" here but I won't. Their pay isn't enough, central reason why I believe we go through one or two a year, in fact I haven't worked a continuous year here with the same dispatcher and next month is my 4th year here.

Training? A lack of appropriate training procedures is the majority of the problem. A comm/supervisor who is afraid of conflict as well. Funny conversation between myself and her one day.

Her: We have amazing dispatchers here.
          Me: *laughs sarcastically*
          Her: What?
          Me: Yeah that's why "So & So" answered the phone the other night and detailed me to a shots fired call without asking where the caller needed me, or asked for a call back number in case the call was disconnected.
          Her: You are not a nice person.
          Me: And?
          Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
          I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
          Originally posted by weinerdog2000
          as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

I can think of one big reason, not waiting on hold to report something. Ive only called 911 on a couple of ocassions while off duty. Both times I had to wait minutes while listening to the "Be right with you" recording...
            "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

I thought of something at work last night - my department is so hell-bent on liability and fear of being sued (or looking bad in the media) that we are required to treat EVERY 911 hang up like it's an emergency - it even gets to the point where if you call 911 or even non-emergency lines and ask for a car, no matter how stupid the call is, you get a car. If someone accidentally texts 911 with a message intended for someone else, is the agency going to be required to investigate EVERY text message?

Also, with cell phones, it has just become too easy for people to make 911 the be all and end all for anything and everything. Can you imagine how many MORE people will be contacting the police for things if they don't even have to talk anymore? And will it be a general number (911) that they text to and the cell phone companies will direct the call to the agency like they do now with cell phone calls or will you need to text an agency specific number?

Originally posted by Redders
              I have dispatchers that barely know how to answer the phone and ask who, what, where, when, why and how, much less run the central MDT, I'm not sure that we would be able to utilize it to its full extent.
              That's sad. I hate my job but I'm good at it and we go through extensive training and then on-the-job training sessions off-site put on by private companies. We won't allow crappy dispatchers to make it through our training, which is a minimum of 4 months long. We are held to extremely high standards; sometimes (I think) too high.
              Originally posted by RSGSRT
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

"OMG!!!! @ Bank of America. Guy in gorilla suit lol is robbing bank"
                He once brought a knife to a gun fight, just to even the odds.

He once ran a marathon backwards, just to see what second place looked like.

Comment

About two years ago, we implemented a text message tip line. At the onset I thought it was a horrible idea and believed that we would be inundated with indecipherable texts and a constant barrage of BS. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong. Its actually been very helpful in getting some good tips, especially from the younger generation who would never call a tip line, but have been very forthcoming with info on the text line. We still get some BS, but its actually pretty minimal. We have recently expanded into a Facebook tip page.

I still have doubts about a text 911 line, but if its carefully implemented, it could be a good thing.
                  \

Comment

Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
                    I can think of one big reason, not waiting on hold to report something. Ive only called 911 on a couple of ocassions while off duty. Both times I had to wait minutes while listening to the "Be right with you" recording...
                    Was that before California agencies were required to update their equipment to take cell 911 calls o they didn't all go to CHP? I think we are 2 or 3 years in now, and can attest to the increase in calls. I can also attest to the wait time in transferring calls to CHP before the switch was long, much better now.

@Redders, very sad to hear, and sad to say not uncommon. The Denise Amber Lee Foundation's goal is to change that with uniform standards of training. http://deniseamberlee.org/

I'm fortunate to work in a state that has POST requirements for dispatchers as well as officers....120 hours of mandated training covering specific as well as general topics, plus 24 hours every two years of POST certified classes. We are also large enough to have the radio and phone duties split, so no trying to answer 911 while working the radio.

I guess I'm still on the fence, since I know how hard it is to get information out of uncooperative people. Then again, not having to get the attitude and obscenities over the phone might make for a nice change.

sigpic

Comment

Times change, and it's pretty silly to think we won't have to change with them.

Comment

I agree with the other dispatchers. While this is a great idea in theory, it will be an absolute nightmare. This is how half my phone calls go:

911 What's the address of your emergency?
                        -I need a squad here right now, I just got robbed!
                        Ok, what's the address?
                        -I'm at home!
                        Where's your home?
                        -[Town name]
                        Where in [town] do you live?
                        -Main street
                        What's the address on Main street?
                        -I'm right at Main and 1st, will you just send someone?
                        WHAT'S THE ADDRESS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!
                        -mumble mumble 23 mumble 1 main
                        Can you give that to me again?
                        - F man, it's 4231 main can you just send someone??!
                        Yeah, tell me what happened.
                        -I just got home and someone broke my back window while I was gone, man, I told you, I just got robbed.

Like others said, I can think of extreme situations where texts would be fantastic, but in general it would be the biggest headache on earth. Plus, we get so many cell calls from other towns, I can't imagine how these would find the right place. We'd be calling Chicago every 10 minutes with another text that we got for them.
                        Last edited by Item9; 08-17-2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I took a 911 call last night from someone who started out the conversation by saying "first off, this is a non-emergency 911 call" so I knew it was going to either be stupid or they were too GD lazy to look up the phone number; but then the caller wanted report a disturbance of a large group of kids in front of her house so I asked what was going on - she said "they're out there playing kick ball or volleyball, I don't know which one exactly, but they've been out there all day and I don't like it!" - I made her call the non-emergency line. I wanted to say "Would you rather they be smoking crack? Breaking into cars? Having a knife fight? Anything else as long as it doesn't disturb YOUR peace??!" but then I decided getting written up isn't worth it.

Those are typical of MOST of the calls we get from that area. Those and telling on neighbor calls. "My neighbor is drinking a beer in their garage while they fix their car - what if they decide to go driving after they're done fixing their car?!?" - I could only imagine HOW MUCH MORE stupid things will be reported and we will be forced to check on them.
                          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

^^Same here, that and the "my kid is refusing to go to school" or "being defiant" calls.

I once took a call from a woman who was upset because a car with handicap plates was taking up a regular parking spot.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                              I once took a call from a woman who was upset because a car with handicap plates was taking up a regular parking spot.
                              I'd get in trouble for taking that 911 call because I would not be able to hold my tongue and I would probably say something that my boss wouldn't like but would need to be said.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan99
                                I'm thinking of 9/11....there were a number of people who called their family and friends from the plane (using cell phones) before the plane crashed in Pennsylvania. In carjacking or kidnapping situations especially, wouldn't texting be useful?
                                Depends. If you were kidnapped and able to use your cell phone, you would be better off being able to dial 911 - that way the GPS in the phone (if equipped) is enabled and can be used much faster by both the cell phone company to gather the GPS coordinates and possibly ping the cell phone and the dispatcher (often directly). I'm sure a cell phone expert would be the one that would be able to attest if a cell phone can be pinged from text phone usage like it can be from regular usage. I think the only way text messages would be useful in the kidnapping/carjacking situation would be if the victim can see where they are and transmit their current location(s) and vehicle description to 911.

And then all of that, of course, depends on if the agencies in the jurisdictions has the resources to investigate the information that is obtained and flood the area looking for the victims; which we all know how seriously lacking proper resources are lately.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4045 users online. 276 members and 3769 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X