Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could some one give me an answer to this question?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could some one give me an answer to this question?

My question is why as part of a full service police department (D.C. metro transit police), would we need authority from another police department(D.C. metropolitian police) to have limited arrest authority while on duty providing security for the bulidings and faculities of the transit authority. couldn't our own department grant us limited authority, in the way that most departments, do with specialized personnel like detention center deputies or reserve police officers. with those positions most times they are given there authority while on duty,they may posess weapons, make arrest and patrol while on duty an may or may not have any authority when off duty depending on jurisdiction an though they may provide security for specfic locations at times are not considered security officers.

I understand that we are in essence security guards, but from what I have been able to reasearch, the metropolitan police security officers management branch was created to be a governing body over contract guard companies and corporate entities that need a private police force,an have the legal authority of a law enforcement body backing them,as part of a police force we already have legal backing, an any authority could be given to us by or own department since we are not contract guards nor are we an entity that needs a police force.

I'm not asking because I want to be considered a police officer, or have off duty authority,I asking because it's seems a ineffective solution, due to the fact that we have buildings and facilities in Maryland, and Virginia as well and our D.C, commisions are not valid there, an as part of MTPD we are not registered as guards or special police in either state, which makes our jobs that much harder in those areas, if our authority came from our own department then it would be in effect everywhere not this in one location.

The only reason I can think of as to why it is set up this way is that our division actually predates the creation of MTPD when there was only the bus yards in D.C. to guard an the transit authority had not been formed by congress, after the formation of MTPD instead of disbanding our division, or rolling our officers into full transit officers, we were made the force protection arm of MPTD, as we grew into the tri jurisdictional department we are now we were pretty much left the way we were but also given the task of securing authority assets in two more areas, for a long time, we were kinda left to our own devices but with the heighten threats to the region the police side has taken more of an interest in our training.

When i've ask this question in training, i've not been given a answer as to why it is set up this way,an in my position I don't get the ear of many of the command staff so I haven't been able to ask them, so I've brought the question to the forum, I got good info from you guys the last post I entered an was hoping you could do it again. sorry this post is a bit long but it as brief as I could make it and give you all the info I had. thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TransitSPO; 08-03-2011, 11:08 PM. Reason: was a bit hard to under stand

Originally posted by TransitSPO View Post
    My question is why as part of a full service police department (D.C. metro transit police), would we need authority from another police department(D.C. metropolitian police) to have limited arrest authority while on duty providing security for the bulidings and faculities of the transit authority. couldn't our own department grant us limited authority, in the way that most departments, do with specialized personnel like detention center deputies or reserve police officers. with those positions most times they are given there authority while on duty,they may posess weapons, make arrest and patrol while on duty an may or may not have any authority when off duty depending on jurisdiction an though they may provide security for specfic locations at times are not considered security officers. I understand that we are in essence security guards, but from what I have been able to reasearch, the metropolitan police security officers management branch was created to be a governing body over contract guard companies and corporate entities that need a private police force,an have the legal authority of a law enforcement body backing them,as part of a police force we already have legal backing, an any authority could be given to us by or own department since we are not contract guards nor are we an entity that needs a police force, I'm not asking because I want to be considered a police officer, or have off duty authority,I asking because it's seems a ineffective solution, due to the fact that we have buildings and facilities in maryland, and virginia as well and our D.C, commisions are not valid there, an as part of MTPD we are not registered as guards or special police in either state, which makes our jobs that much harder in those areas, if our authority came from our own department then it would be in effect everywhere not this in one location, The only reason I can think of as to why it is set up this way is that our division actually predates the creation of MTPD when there was only the bus yards in D.C. to guard an the transit authority had not been formed by congress, after the formation of MTPD instead of disbanding our division, or rolling our officers into full transit officers, we were made the force protection arm of MPTD, as we grew into the tri jurisdictional department we are now we were pretty much left the way we were but also given the task of securing authority assets in two more areas, for a long time, we were kinda left to our own devices but with the heighten threats to the region the police side has taken more of an interest in our training, but when i've ask this question in training, i've not been given a answer as to why it is set up this way,an in my position I don't get the ear of many of the command staff so I haven't been able to ask them, so I've brought the question to the forum, I got good info from you guys the last post I entered an was hoping you could do it again. sorry this post is a bit long but it as brief as I could make it and give you all the info I had. thanks in advance.
    I don't know the answer to your question but paragraphs are terrific in helping others comprehend your post. I read about three sentences then went bug eyed. Did catch at the end you were as brief as possible but breaking this big ol' hunk up would be outstanding. Best of luck.

Comment

I'm amazed by the fact you used proper punctuation, but you did not capitalize names of states you listed or your 'I's' in ''I've.''
      Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

I don't read novels at this time in the morning.
        Certified troll.

Comment

Wow, that's a lotta words....
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Smurfette
          Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
          Originally posted by DAL
          You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I thought that was a magic eye. I tried crossing my eyes to see a 3d image, but soon I realised it's a question.

Comment

I'd like to buy a paragraph, Pat.
              “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

haveyoueverhearofparagraphsrunonsentencesandpuctua tion?

Sorry, no answer until I can read and understand the question. In the interim, please know that authority and powers are not assigned by an agency; they are presented through law. I am not certain of the laws for the District of Columbia, but all states have a penal code, or similar set of laws, that outline the definitions of and powers of Peace Officers.
                Last edited by SgtCHP; 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

No paragraphs = no read. From what I gather from the first couple of sentences is that maybe that is how the law is written. I believe Dallas, TX has a similar relationship with their transit police.

Comment

Wow!! Didn't we, not too long ago, do a thread with you on firearms? I'm not an attorney, no legal guru, but just this once. Your status, thus your problem, begins with the manner in which your agency was set up. Understand now, that I'm not an
                    Attorney, and far being any sort of legal guru. For you to have full powers of a Police Officer, including off-duty arrest/carry authority, your agency would have to be constituted as a full, functioning, Police Dept. Sworn Officers would need to be fully empowered Officers, with all the powers and immunities granted to other Police Officers. Your authority would have to come from the governing body(s) which formed the MTA. You would need to receive the same training and certification as a Metro DC Police Officer. For you to be recognized as a Police Officer in areas of operation outside of DC, you'd need to recognized as Police Officers by those jurisdictions. Often, this can be done through a M.O. U. Memorandum of Understanding which would grant you Police Officer status. You could also be granted this status through appropriate legislation by these entities. Realistically, I've probably only scratched the surface with regard to your situation. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an early fix, as my "sense" is, that isn't going to happen. It it's your desire to be a fully empowered Police Officer, then I suggest you apply at a regular police agency for which you feel qualified.

Comment

What was the question again? My eyes left the room for a break.
                      sigpic
                      Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                      And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Because security guards don't have the authority.
                        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Because the MTPD doesn't want you to be fully sworn officers. Sorry, but that's the end of the story. It is what it is.

I'm pretty sure you don't get paid the same rate as the sworn officers so there's that incentive for the agency to keep you as specials. Further, they probably don't want to tie up sworn officers on a job that is better suited to a security officer. Specials probably don't need the same level of training or the same continuing education as sworn officers. There are numerous reasons possible.

In the end, MTPD doesn't want you to be a fully sworn officer. That's reason enough....
                          Originally posted by kontemplerande
                          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                            Wow!! Didn't we, not too long ago, do a thread with you on firearms? I'm not an attorney, no legal guru, but just this once. Your status, thus your problem, begins with the manner in which your agency was set up. Understand now, that I'm not an
                            Attorney, and far being any sort of legal guru. For you to have full powers of a Police Officer, including off-duty arrest/carry authority, your agency would have to be constituted as a full, functioning, Police Dept. Sworn Officers would need to be fully empowered Officers, with all the powers and immunities granted to other Police Officers. Your authority would have to come from the governing body(s) which formed the MTA. You would need to receive the same training and certification as a Metro DC Police Officer. For you to be recognized as a Police Officer in areas of operation outside of DC, you'd need to recognized as Police Officers by those jurisdictions. Often, this can be done through a M.O. U. Memorandum of Understanding which would grant you Police Officer status. You could also be granted this status through appropriate legislation by these entities. Realistically, I've probably only scratched the surface with regard to your situation. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an early fix, as my "sense" is, that isn't going to happen. It it's your desire to be a fully empowered Police Officer, then I suggest you apply at a regular police agency for which you feel qualified.
                            I'll break it down even further - your agency is there to serve a specific purpose/duty - the officers in that agency were given enough powers/authority to serve that specific purpose/duty; no more, no less - I ran into the exact same thing at my old job - if you want more powers/authority, then go join a regular police agency like PhilipCal stated...

Your department doesn't grant you "authority" - the legislature of the jurisdiction of which you work in does (as in the police are the walking, talking, physical arm of the legislature) - but keep in mind, if you feel the need to rock the boat too much, it's much easier to can all of you and hire a contract security guard company to do the same job for a LOT less money and just call the local police wherever the problem is occurring...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...just my 2 cents...
                            "We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles." -- RSGSRT

Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                              I'll break it down even further - your agency is there to serve a specific purpose/duty - the officers in that agency were given enough powers/authority to serve that specific purpose/duty; no more, no less - I ran into the exact same thing at my old job - if you want more powers/authority, then go join a regular police agency like PhilipCal stated...

Your department doesn't grant you "authority" - the legislature of the jurisdiction of which you work in does (as in the police are the walking, talking, physical arm of the legislature) - but keep in mind, if you feel the need to rock the boat too much, it's much easier to can all of you and hire a contract security guard company to do the same job for a LOT less money and just call the local police wherever the problem is occurring...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...just my 2 cents...
                              Yep.....That^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^very much says it all. Read it carefully, as your answer is contiained in my colleague's reply. Pay special attention to that part about rocking the boat, and being replaced by contract guards. In all probability, that would happen before the legislative authorities granted you (your agency) any change in status.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4746 users online. 220 members and 4526 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X