Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suspended for this? You've got to be kidding me!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspended for this? You've got to be kidding me!

http://couriernews.suntimes.com/6775...-late-90s.html

While I don't condone racist jokes in the work place, this is political correctness run a muck! Officer suspended for a racist joke, tells on another officer for a joke made in the 1990s and that officer is facing suspension as well? You've got to be kidding me! And one of them isn't even racist, it would be just as funny if the remark was made about a red head in a basketball team of blonds. Seems the administration need to spend less time looking at imagined problems?
    The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Many agencies have a zero tolerance policy for harassment such as this. If you did something like this is my agency, a 5 day suspension would be -very- lenient. More than likely, dismissal would be the case.

Comment

I understand not wanting to cause racial tension... but this stuff? Its like tossing out a kid from school for drawing a picture of an army tank. The thing is, I can't see where the first incident is racist. And the second, while it was prejudiced and distasteful, it happened 14 years ago, off duty.
      The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I can't speak for all agencies, but the vast majority of my agency's general orders apply both on duty and off, especially code of conduct, harassment, and discrimination. As long as I am employed, even if I'm off duty or in another country, I'm still responsibly for following those GOs. If I violate them, then I am held responsible.

It's not about "reducing racial tension" or something like that. It's about following the rules. Those who enforce rules(ie laws) must abide by them as well!

Comment

Its ridiculous.
          For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

No, it's called ZERO TOLERANCE. That means there is NO tolerance.

Comment

No, its called being ridiculous and pc run amok. Look at the dates. Its silly. Oh..15 years ago you took a pic by a statue while off.duty? A year or two ago u sent a joke to a guy who didn't care then but now because he's getting jammed up he does? Its ridiculous.
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
                No, it's called ZERO TOLERANCE. That means there is NO tolerance.
                Zero tolerance means "admins don't have to think."
                “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

So can I be suspended from duty for stuff that I did in the late 90's, in middle school? A bad cop is trying to bring good people down with him for totally unrelated stuff.
                  Originally posted by Ceridwen
                  Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Were you employed when you were in middle school?

Comment

Were you employed when you were in middle school?
                      I like to go to work and have a good time. My co workers are my friends. We go out outside of work. That's pretty tame for racism. Plus, like I said, there's more to it.

Comment

By no means am I condoning ratting out coworkers, but when occurrences of prohibited behavior come up, you gotta take responsibility for your actions.

Comment

By no means am I condoning ratting out coworkers, but when occurrences of prohibited behavior come up, you gotta take responsibility for your actions.
                          Are you serious? If you've ever seen my posts on here, im not a big professional courtesy guy. Where I work, which isn't that far from this department, we would laugh at this stuff. It was a joke. Im telling you...more to it.

Comment

And I'm not saying I wouldn't either. But if someone were to rat me out, I have to follow the policies and procedures and take responsibility. I don't know why you think I'm being antagonistic, I'm not. I'm just saying that they got caught, and they have been punished. Nor am I criticizing you or your department.
                            Last edited by Sierra259; 07-30-2011, 10:52 PM.

Comment

The question I would pose, in light of zero tolerance... was zero tolerance a policy in this department 14 years ago when the incident happened? If not, then why hold the officer responsible for a rule which didn't exist at the time. If so... not my call.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3784 users online. 259 members and 3525 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X