300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOP and PBA supporting Obama in 2012?

So I saw an article over on Fox News that, suprise suprise, unions are supporting Obama in the upcoming election.

Last election, the FOP supported NCs worthless governor Bev Purdue over Pat McCroy, who had always been a big supporter of the police. The reason that was given in the emailed list of supported canidates was that McCroy didn't return a questionaire and she did. Seriously?

So, I guess my question is, are the police unions going to keep supporting these people and who is actually making the decisions? Because all of the officers I talked to didn't vote for any of these people.
    "Life is not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving foward"- Rocky Balboa

Black Labs Matter!

I personally don't think police unions should donate money to political campaigns, there are many more worthwhile uses for it. I also don't think they should support someone until the members have voted on who to support. That's just me though and I live in a non-union state.
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Interceptor View Post
      So, I guess my question is, are the police unions going to keep supporting these people and who is actually making the decisions? Because all of the officers I talked to didn't vote for any of these people.
      It’s not the membership of the unions per se that make the decision of who to support, rather it is the P.A.C’s (political action committees) of the unions, while it is true that Republicans do support LE, it is more so with the Laws that they pass, or don’t pass, the Democrats on the other hand are more in line with the Unions themselves, that is what the P.A.C’s are after direct support of the union’s. Republicans are mostly anti Union and generally don’t get much union support. Simply put the unions by endorsing a candidate or party are trying to ensure their best interests, and survival, and that generally does not equate to what you or I would deem as important.
      It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Sorry, not a big union guy. I do have my own legal insurance through a police group. Unions are for everyone getting the same no matter how hard one works or how good a job they do. That is the tip of the iceberg. I am for solidarity with my fellow LEOs but, I am not going to give my money to a union that is going to spend it on Sh#4 that I don't agree with. The road is paved with good intentions. Too bad that unions don't always have good intentions. Unions are past their expiration date. There are so many hurdles that an employer has to jump to fire someone anymore that it makes the unions a thing of the past, that and legal assistance. Sometimes people need to lose their job. Some people shouldn't be cops just like some people shouldn't be school teachers or air traffic controllers or, well you get the point.

And, just so that no one tries to give me a sob story that they were wrongly fired and could have used a union's help, I was wrongly fired and had self paid legal assistance and it didn't make a difference. I don't believe that a union would have made any difference. The good news. I made it back and have been going strong in Law Enforcement for over 7 years with a union.
        Last edited by IAM Rand; 07-06-2011, 05:55 PM.
        Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

All you pro-union guys must be very proud to support Barry.

Unions are a farce - plain and simple. No need, yet many good cops continue to blindly feed them. I too had self-paid legal protection while on the job. Far cheaper than union dues and far more satisfying to be self-reliant.

Just sayin...
          The All New
          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I am pro-union, and before I was promoted I was a proud member of the union. Our department is Teamsters and so are most of the departments around us. The union helped us get rid of a chief who had questionable management skills and an agenda to fire the cops he hadn't hired. If it hadn't been for the assistance of the union and their ability to force the city's hand, that chief would still be here and many of my friends and possibly myself would not be employed.

As far as what political party they support, I don't give a sh*t. I know I paid dues and they supported candidates I didn't and while that didn't please me I continued to pay dues because of the help my agency received. I vote how I want, knowing the candidate who raises and spends the most money will most likely get elected without concern of my wants or wishes. Almost every election, the Democratic party gets the support of the union and almost every election I don't vote democratic.

There are positives and negatives to uniion membership, and to me the union support of the democratic party is a negative.

Just my $.02

Covman

Comment

Unions will also (many times over) end up supporting and donating campaign contributions to candidates whose agenda runs counter to the interests of their members and even society as a whole. Unions - even police unions- often back politicians and laws that threaten our vital freedoms and civil rights guaranteed to us by the United States Constitution. Look at how many of them support bogus "gun control" schemes and "hug a thug" crime initiatives that don't do a damn thing to enhance public safety or reduce criminal activity.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

P.S. On a related note, the United Mine Workers endorsed Obama in 2008 - even though he openly admitted he practically wanted to put the coal industry out of business.

Definitely a "face palm" moment if there ever was one!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Police Unions back candidates based upon labor issues...not law enforcement support, not fighting crime, not fighting terrorism.

Police Executive associations back candidates based upon who will stand up to police unions.

Didn't buy my union's candidates when I was a cop/sgt. Don't automatically back my fellow chiefs on their picks, out of peer pressure, either.

I want people in charge who will fight help fight crime, illegal immigration and terrorism. President Slapd!ck, DOJ's moron Holder, and the DHS's unmanned drone Napolitano ain't it.
                  "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

The Deep South is pretty much non union. That said, I'm not here to criticise unions or those officers who belong to them. I personally don't think it means jack as to who the union officially endorses in any given election. Barry, Holder, Clinton, Napolitano & Co are all candidates for this year's (or any year's) Darwin Awards. Keith pretty well covered the motivation and reasoning involved in a union's support of a given candidate. This Administration demonstrates it's ineptitude and incompetence on a daily basis. If a given union desires to endorse such institutionalized stupidity, that's pretty much it's own business, and the business is called politics. An individual union member is more than free to vote for the candidate of his/her choice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2957 users online. 173 members and 2784 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X